Foreign Dp's For Nycfc

I've been saying for a while that whilst the MLS has most certainly flourished over the past 3-4 years it is going to take a top player in his prime to move to the league in order for it to reach the next level.

Reactions: BlueWolf
That would be my biggest problem with that as well. He wants to cement himself as one of the greatest to play and to do so he needs to stay in Europe. His ego knows this.
I can honestly see us getting loaned an MCFC Bench player like Rodwell who they want to develop, needs playing time, but can't make first team yet.
Rodwell would be a great asset, Milner too.

I've been saying for a while that whilst the MLS has most certainly flourished over the past 3-4 years it is going to take a top player in his prime to move to the league in order for it to reach the next level.

I don't think a top players bring the MLS to a next level. When a couple of clubs like Toronto, LA Galaxy and New York Red Bulls have one or two top players. it doesn't make a good team. Now it's like "former" big players come to the US to make a lot of money and still play football. The MLS has to get more players like Donovon who don't mind to play in the MLS their whole life. They also need big, but more importantly committed sponsors that want to invest in the development of players.

I don't think a top players bring the MLS to a next level. When a couple of clubs like Toronto, LA Galaxy and New York Red Bulls have one or two top players. it doesn't make a good team. Now it's like "former" big players come to the US to make a lot of money and still play football. The MLS has to get more players like Donovon who don't mind to play in the MLS their whole life. They also need big, but more importantly committed sponsors that want to invest in the development of players.

Galaxy and RBNY have one or two former top players I'd say. What I mean is the league needs to a top player to move here whilst at the top of his game.

See, what I don't understand is people saying "very unlikely"

Here's the thing, if TORONTO could go from huge losers with a fraction of our money and get Jermain Defoe, Michael Bradley, Gilberto, and Julio Cesar (on loan I realize) then the bar has been raised.

City knows they have to make a splash. Part of me thinks the reason they really wanted Kreis to go to England was to get used to being around big celebrity players -- something Kreis never really had in Salt Lake.

So, to me, when you say "not likely" that's what's probably "likely."

Ibra, Chicharito,Podolski, Nasri, Dzeko, Xavi, David Villa....

Interesting points but NYCFC will not get any of those names. They are still at the top of their game and MCFC will not let Nasri, Dzeko and especially Silva join NYCFC. One name that is being floated is Gareth Barry, he's 33 but still a class player and would be an excellent signing for NYCFC. Also, the reason MCFC wanted Jason Kreis to come to England was for him to learn the "City Way" of doing things.

Interesting points but NYCFC will not get any of those names. They are still at the top of their game and MCFC will not let Nasri, Dzeko and especially Silva join NYCFC. One name that is being floated is Gareth Barry, he's 33 but still a class player and would be an excellent signing for NYCFC. Also, the reason MCFC wanted Jason Kreis to come to England was for him to learn the "City Way" of doing things.
I didn't say Silva, I said David Villa. They're always flirting with getting rid of Dzeko . He's not a spring chicken and neither is Nasri. Gareth Berry might be a good player but he's not really a name and they need names.

I'm watching the post game UEFA CL program on Fox Sports. I guess you have to take this with an ocean of salt, but they're reporting Ibrahimovic just announced PSG will be his last club in Europe.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

There's an interesting article about Ibrahimovic in today's New York Times.
Ibrahimovic is continually looking ahead, wondering what his future might hold. He expressed interest in someday playing in the United States — saying it wasn’t realistic at this stage of his career but adding, “America, I think it is the future for me” — but is signed with P.S.G. through 2016, reportedly earning about 15 million euros.......
Here's a link to the rest of the article if anyone is interested............http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/02/s...s-reveals-a-quieter-side.html?ref=soccer&_r=0

There's an interesting article about Ibrahimovic in today's New York Times.

Here's a link to the rest of the article if anyone is interested............http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/02/s...s-reveals-a-quieter-side.html?ref=soccer&_r=0

That's a good find. I'm not surprised. When you get to the point of your career when you're not going to be chasing UCL & top European league titles, America makes a lot of sense from a marketing perspective. You raise your global profile considerably and set yourself up well for a post-football life, not to mention get to contribute to building the sport and fighting for a title.

I think the 4 players we should loan from City are
Rodwell
Lopes
Fofana
And if they decide to replace him due to his injuries, Micah Richards.

And then since Lescott's contract is up I think he'd be solid at the back for NYC FC. Even with age he keeps putting in work for Man City.

I think the 4 players we should loan from City are
Rodwell
Lopes
Fofana
And if they decide to replace him due to his injuries, Micah Richards.

And then since Lescott's contract is up I think he'd be solid at the back for NYC FC. Even with age he keeps putting in work for Man City.

The ones we can loan are from U-21s or at least thats what they're saying now. Not from the first team

I'm watching the Sunderland-Spurs match this afternoon and not only isn't Jozy starting the game, he's not even dressed for the subs bench.

Sheesh

Well Jason Kreis has already said that the club will have 3 DPs and 4 MCFC loan players, so this is a realistic outcome IMHO:
DPs: Drogba, Gibbs, Wondolowski.
Loans: Pantilimon, Boyata, Garcia, Guidetti.

Last edited:
Kreis has said that he can loan players from the u21s, not the senior squad. Boyata and Pantilimon are at the end of their contracts this summer so they will be DPs or - perhaps more likely - will stay in Europe.

There are some real talents in the u21s though. It's not a terrible trade-off.