Foreign Dp's For Nycfc

I think Frank Lampard has been mentioned somewhere in here, but if rumours are true, he's heading to Melbourne instead on a US$100,000 a week contract for two years with an option of a third.

Evidently, it is Manour's wish.
The rumours also are that Lampard would prefer to stay at Chelsea but will consider it if they won't offer him a new contract. I suspect that they will, but you never know.

Here's a collection of recent hints.

Working backwards up the hints, it looks like we have the first DP signing in the crosshairs, but it doesn't appear to be a US-born player. It also appears that it may be a defensive player rather than a forward or attacking midfielder, which would be surprising.

How would you feel if our big name summer signing is a center back? It would be awesome to have a stud center of the defense, but I'm hoping the highest profile signing is the CM.

Have any CB names been thrown around as possible big name DPs?

Demichelis if that's how you spell it...

Hey man I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'll take Demichellis in a heart beat. We need a veteran presence in our backline who will command the defense.
If he's our guy I'm happy with that.

Reactions: Andy and BxLio91
Honours for Demichellis so far..

River Plate
  • Argentine Primera División: 2001–02, 2002–03
Bayern Munich
  • Bundesliga: 2004–05, 2005–06, 2007–08, 2009–10
  • DFB-Pokal: 2004–05, 2005–06, 2007–08, 2009–10
  • DFB-Ligapokal: 2004, 2007
  • DFL-Supercup: 2010
  • UEFA Champions League: Runner-up 2009–10
Manchester City
  • Football League Cup: 2013–14
Country
  • FIFA Confederations Cup: Runner-up 2005

I think most of you guys overestimate the reputation of the MLS in Europe. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of US Soccer but it's just not every veterans goal to finish his decorated career across the Atlantic. And you deal with names that definitely seem to be out of reach at least by now. Zlatan, even at his age, is still one of the best players in the world and he will be a centerpiece for Cup-winning top-Tier teams in Europe for the next 2-3 years. Xavi might be a more realistic option but I don't think he's going to leave Barcelona finish his career anywhere. He's a part of this family atmosphere there.
Drogba and Eto'o are probably more realistic and I could think of at least one of them to finish his career in the MLS, this is going to be a money issue.
But tbh I think next years NYCFC squad will include mainly DP's, who used to play or still play for City like Demichelis, Richard Wright or Kolo Touré. Good players with decorated careers but not the category of names future fans dream of

Reactions: BlueWolf
1) Sunderland just clinched staying in the Premier League. I know a lot of us though Jozy would be more inclined to leave if Sunderland were relegated, but they'll be playing Premier League football again. I don't think Sunderland would mind selling him though, so we'll see.

2) Demichelis hasn't been bad for City at all this past month, even winning Man of the Month for April. City's defense has been an underrated part of this title push and other than the red card v Barca against Messi (what a loser. can't stop Messi, right?) Demichelis hasn't been bad. Makes me wonder if City will keep him on, though defense is clearly the place where they need to spend.

What do you all think of Rio Ferdinand as a DP? He is out of contract at Manchester United and is looking for a new opportunity as he says he is fit. I wouldn't be surprised if he came to the MLS.

Personally I have never been a big fan of him during his playing days in the premiership. I find him to be physically slow and at times also slow to react (in his later years). However, I am pretty sure that he can compete well in MLS. He may also be more fit than Puyol to give NYCFC a good run. There is no question that he has leadership,experience and skill to compete.

edit: it must be said that he hates MCFC, but as we've continued to say..NYCFC is not MCFC so I would like to consider it a moot point... so perhaps its enough of a reason for Rio to sign with a different MLS team if he does come.

I can imagine Rio playing for Beckham.. but hardly any other MLS club, give me a creative midfielder first and foremost :cool:

I hope City sends us Demichelis. He'll be a pillar in defense and he can give us like 3-4 more years. He's not as high profile as Puyol but he's experienced.

I hope City sends us Demichelis. He'll be a pillar in defense and he can give us like 3-4 more years. He's not as high profile as Puyol but he's experienced.

He ended up the year as a solid first team player. They would have to get some superstar as CB to let Demichelis go. I don't see him coming, at least this season. I'll think that if we get someone from MCFC is a fringe player (as Barry) or a Reserve/Academy young player, not as DP.

He ended up the year as a solid first team player. They would have to get some superstar as CB to let Demichelis go. I don't see him coming, at least this season. I'll think that if we get someone from MCFC is a fringe player (as Barry) or a Reserve/Academy young player, not as DP.
Yup "unfortunately" for us, his form returned and he finished strongly. Selfishly, I kinda hoped the unfair criticism drove him straight into our hands

Barry would be great but there is a good chance City will need him for the financial fair play penalties coming up in their Champions Leauge campaign. I would hope some City EDS players could make it like Jordy Hiwula (CF), Devante Cole (CF) or Adam Drury (MF). There are better EDS players but they are already on loan with European clubs and I don't know if City would loan them out back to back. Anyways, things can change over a year so who knows.

Demichelis is hardly a pillar of the defense. Some of the things I've seen him do this season blow my mind. He and City are lucky they spend so much time in possession and attacking. And they are lucky he has one of the best partners in the world, Vincent Kompany.

Gareth Barry is a free agent this year. Everton hope to sign him to a permanent deal.