General MLS Discussion

Can someone link a eli5 or some round up of all the stuff going on in New England? Seems like something new comes up every other day now. I didn’t keep up from the start and now Im Lost lol.
Upvote.

I haven’t read anything other than people here saying it’s all crazy. Would love an exec summary (or a link if there is a good page on this somewhere).

Arena: placed on admin leave on 8/1 for insensitive remarks. Last week: fired/resigned for same thing. No details on the nature or specifics of the offense have been announced or even subject to anonymous leaks. Everything else is drama.

Maybe Arena longtime assistant Richie Williams was behind the accusations and staged a coup or maybe not. Maybe Williams was mad because he was told his contract was not going to be renewed or maybe not.

Maybe other assistant coaches and players support Arena and staged minor work actions as protest, or maybe they're just mad about not being told anything either.

That's pretty much all there is to know.

Last edited:
Not that I think we're going to the playoffs, but CLT-DC and MTL-DC are both 0-0 with 20 minutes to go. If those results hold, we will head into Wednesday only four points back of a playoff spot. Couldn't really ask for better results than that from those two games. We also have a very favorable schedule to end the season, including Toronto, DC, and Chicago.
Matthew Broderick Jewish GIF

Arena: placed on admin leave on 8/1 for insensitive remarks. Last week: fired/resigned for same thing. No details on the nature or specifics of the offense have been announced or even subject to anonymous leaks. Everything else is drama.

Maybe Arena longtime assistant Richie Williams was behind the accusations and staged a coup or maybe not. Maybe Williams was mad because he was told his contract was not going to be renewed or maybe not.

Maybe other assistant coaches and players support Arena and staged minor work actions as protest, or maybe they're just mad about not being told anything either.

You left out:

Bruce is not just fired but banned from MLS.

Club legend Shalrie Joseph was among the collateral damage which REALLY pisses of the supporters.

First Williams was selected as Bruce’s successor then the club changed tacks at the last minute and elevated Clint Peay from Revs 2.

Both Williams and Peay have been close Bruce associates for ~30 years.

This is some Steinbrenner-Billy Martin era -type chaos. So many subplots, but so far nothing has leaked at all.

And I am loving every minute.

You left out:

Bruce is not just fired but banned from MLS.

Club legend Shalrie Joseph was among the collateral damage which REALLY pisses of the supporters.

First Williams was selected as Bruce’s successor then the club changed tacks at the last minute and elevated Clint Peay from Revs 2.

Both Williams and Peay have been close Bruce associates for ~30 years.

This is some Steinbrenner-Billy Martin era -type chaos. So many subplots, but so far nothing has leaked at all.

And I am loving every minute.

This whole situation will make a very good “the athletic” piece to read in the future

Anyone else finding this Benjamin Cremaschi and Leo Messi storyline canned?

Feels a little too beneficial for the league and USMNT for this to play out as it has.

Can’t help but think the league and GGG had something to do with his quick ascendancy to the national team.

Reactions: canchon and LionNYC
By the way, St. Louis and its fans are really leaning into CITY as the shorthand for that team. If they keep it up, in a few years when anyone says "City" in connection with MLS it will generally be understood to mean St. Louis. Which is fine with me.

Reactions: Shwafta
By the way, St. Louis and its fans are really leaning into CITY as the shorthand for that team. If they keep it up, in a few years when anyone says "City" in connection with MLS it will generally be understood to mean St. Louis. Which is fine with me.
I never call us City. City is Manchester City. We are either NYC or NYCFC in my vernacular.

Ben Olsen is another good example of a wrong time and place/right time and place head coach. Ten years at DC with just 2 very good regular seasons, one conference final appearance and (I think) no cups or trophies. Management never really built a great club for him, but by the end he had to go and they had to try something new.
Now he is taking Houston who finished next to last in 2022 to the USOC final and has them on target for a first round home playoff advantage. They have a couple of new scorers but he also improved the defense from conceding 1.65 G/Gm to 1.17 with the same keeper and I think just one new defender.

Last edited:
Messi Schmessi.

If MLS wanted to catch the attention of America they should have arranged for a player to date Taylor Swift.

I'm just thankful Messi's not the one dating Taylor Swift.

NFL's Twitter account is milking this for all it's worth. I couldn't imagine how awful MLS would be.

I don't get why it's necessary at all.

...Only thing i can think of is that the current logo looks a bit weird when it's in icon form (you can't read the text) so this is just to help with that and distinguish it from portland's green. I guess?