General Ticket Sales Thus Far

Comparing the debuts of OCSC and NYCFC aren't going to make sense. NYCFC isn't running a huge campaign to pack the seats for the opener (probably because NYCFC is a little concerned that opener isn't happening on 3/15 due to a potential player strike). Orlando is going all in, because it's the opener and they've decided NYCFC is their rival.

I'd imagine NYCFC do a huge thing when NYCFC hosts Red Bulls, as well as a lot of pub when Seattle, Toronto, and other big name American stars come to town.

Has anyone given thought of the cold? I mean I'm sure that turns off some people.

For the Yankees --

Mohegan Sun Bar sells tickets for like $100 a pop to sit inside with no way to hear the live atmosphere of the stadium, but you have a pretty good restaurant, full bar, waiter service, no weather elements, and you can listen to the game from the TVs inside.

The other way you get into Mohegan Sun Bar is buying an add-on to your season tickets. For instance, my family has upper deck seats. For like 10 dollars per ticket per game, you can get access to Mohegan Sun and Audi Club. You can't go into the ticketed areas inside those places, but you can come in, stand, watch the game, watch on TV, order food at the bar tables, and drink at the bar.

For NYCFC -- They're not selling this STH add-on or individual tickets. They're opening Mohegan Sun for groups only. It's ridiculous. Mohegan Sun is PERFECT location for the soccer field. It's also perfect because we will have extra time in the cold in winter and fall on both ends of the season (people go around 5th, 6th inning usually in baseball). I'm willing to drop the money in a heartbeat. I've been talking to them about it for months.

Someone decided that since soccer is a non-stop sport, everyone will come at halftime only creating a rush they can't handle. I don't know about you, but RBA can't handle the halftime rush in soccer either. It's just something soccer deals with. They're dropping the ball big time. It's free money. $10 per ticket per game. It's a cover charge. 170 bucks for nothing at all adds up.

Comparing the debuts of OCSC and NYCFC aren't going to make sense. NYCFC isn't running a huge campaign to pack the seats for the opener (probably because NYCFC is a little concerned that opener isn't happening on 3/15 due to a potential player strike). Orlando is going all in, because it's the opener and they've decided NYCFC is their rival.

I'd imagine NYCFC do a huge thing when NYCFC hosts Red Bulls, as well as a lot of pub when Seattle, Toronto, and other big name American stars come to town.

Exactly, Mike.

Orlando has 65,000 because they're giving out buy one get one free tickets, F Fabio. Just like someone else said. It's not worth it to open up extra decks for bathrooms, security, concessions, ushers, etc unless it's full. Orlando knows that too. If they didn't go crazy with this push, they'd fill their 25,000 bottom bowl and like an extra 5-6 thousand people. So they'd have staff for 40,000 to cover just 5-6. So they're giving free tickets away and pushing for sales hardcore because people spend money inside stadiums. Once they open that upper bowl, Orlando has spent the money already. It costs them nothing extra to give out the free tickets.

Exactly, Mike.

Orlando has 65,000 because they're giving out buy one get one free tickets, F Fabio. Just like someone else said. It's not worth it to open up extra decks for bathrooms, security, concessions, ushers, etc unless it's full. Orlando knows that too. If they didn't go crazy with this push, they'd fill their 25,000 bottom bowl and like an extra 5-6 thousand people. So they'd have staff for 40,000 to cover just 5-6. So they're giving free tickets away and pushing for sales hardcore because people spend money inside stadiums. Once they open that upper bowl, Orlando has spent the money already. It costs them nothing extra to give out the free tickets.

OK, but to give free tickets and to have 65,000 fans for the debut is a intelligent strategy to have new potential supporters, beyond a fantastic atmosphere at stadium.

Reactions: Goodfella
OK, but to give free tickets and to have 65,000 fans for the debut is a intelligent strategy to have new potential supporters, beyond a fantastic atmosphere at stadium.

Unless you have to tell 65,000 people: whoops, sorry our match got canceled because of a strike. Come back for our real season opener against the ever popular Vancouver Whitecaps.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
The people that come out for ticket promotions like this rarely turn into supporters. A lot of the folks will come late, pay more attention to concessions than the game and leave early to beat the traffic. While filling seats will look good for television I don't expect them to lend much to the atmosphere. OSC has shown that they can make plenty of noise without the help of coupon fans so at least part of the stadium will be rocking.

Unless you have to tell 65,000 people: whoops, sorry our match got canceled because of a strike. Come back for our real season opener against the ever popular Vancouver Whitecaps.
I wonder what happens here? Refunds I assume to those that paid? Will there still be a massive campaign again to fill the bowl in their following home game if its not "the rival" nycfc? Do they give away free tickets again?

The people that come out for ticket promotions like this rarely turn into supporters. A lot of the folks will come late, pay more attention to concessions than the game and leave early to beat the traffic. While filling seats will look good for television I don't expect them to lend much to the atmosphere. OSC has shown that they can make plenty of noise without the help of coupon fans so at least part of the stadium will be rocking.
I agree with you, especially with the part of the atmosphere. It might look nice on TV, but the difference between 25,000 and 40,000 isn't hugely different if the large part of the 15,000-20,000 don't really care about the team, or the sport.
Not to mention that a free game isn't really going to make too many long term fans unless the team/game is spectacular.

My first live MLS game was through a Groupon promotion for a beer garden deal 5 years ago in Houston. Not only did I become a season ticket holder but 2 people that joined in on that groupon deal are also ticket holders to this day.

Last edited:
My first live MLS game was through a Groupon promotion for a beer garden deal 5 years ago in Houstob. Not only did I become a season ticket holder but 2 people that joined in on that groupon deal are also ticket holders to this day.
MLS tickets, as a rule, are much more affordable when compared to other US sports. Why would you not become a STH if you like soccer and have the time/money? NYCFC ticket prices are higher than most of MLS and it is still cheaper than 3-4 decent tickets in any other sport.

Reactions: Goodfella
I agree 100%, very affordable professional sport to follow comparatively speaking. I just meant that I hadn't gotten into MLS or US soccer in general. I followed some European as an adult and local NY leagues as a kid. If I hadn't gotten that Groupon I might not be here right now. The ticket deal was a great steppingstone to me spending MUCHO $$$ :D

I agree 100% but you need build awareness of the club before you can convert them into supporters. The ticket promo is doing just that.

Now it is up to us to make an amazing atmosphere for these fans so they get hooked and keep coming back.

Chicago Fire gives you an Authentic Jersey and parking with season tickets! I think that would bring some more people in. Everybody(ME) loves free stuff.

2 years ago Houston Dynamo sponsor Greenstar recycling had a promotion where if you brought in recyclables(papers, mags, bottles) to every home game you got a free jersey at the end of the season. Good for the environment and they gave away a few hundred jerseys that year.

We're new to the city and even if we have to "bribe" some people to come in with giveaways, freebies or swag whatever you call it you'll get quite a few that enjoyed the experience that they'll come back.