Home - 07/19 TFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel like ive been pretty amicable considering how condescending some of the people responding to me are.
I will and have defended everyone who feels they can't post their opinions, but everyone else has a right to comment on your opinions too.

By all means keep putting up lineups, its driving conversation on a dull day.

I will and have defended everyone who feels they can't post their opinions, but everyone else has a right to comment on your opinions too.

By all means keep putting up lineups, its driving conversation on a dull day.

im not complaining i have thick skin. I actually started the day prepared to be shit on, even welcomed it in my first post of the day.

Wait, this has been proven? Am I missing something?
To further on this. Games in which Maxi/Ring/Herrera start together: 3 Wins 0 Draws 0 Losses (GD of +5)

Other Game Time when Herrera was subbed on and the 3 played together: 2 goals scored, 0 allowed in 47'

Furthermore, here is a quick breakdown of our losses this year (FYI, for those where I mention that Pirlo starts, I am not implying that he is the reason we lost, just noting that our best midfield was not on the field):
@Orlando: Pirlo starts, we boss most of the game, cannot finish and Larin gets one
@DCU: Pirlo starts, for some reason PV trotted out a lineup we hadn't played with Brillant as a RB in a Back 4 and Mata and Wallace in weird spots.
Home against Orlando: Pirlo starts, again we create plenty of chances, Bendik stands on his head, Larin nets their only chance
@RSL: Clusterfuck of a lineup, I'll leave it at that
@Atlanta: Mikey Lopez in the midfield and our midfield is run over. Atlanta crushes us over a 20' stretch and we can't recover
@Vancouver: Pirlo starts, Herrera gets hurt and subbed off, Maxi was a late sub. PV again makes questionable subs and it hurts us in the end

Notice that none of those occur with our best XI (or even best X with Mata hurt). Sure, there may be questions if we can win the cup, and we very well may not put it together. But there is hardly any proof that our lineup cannot get it done in our regular 4-3-3.

To further on this. Games in which Maxi/Ring/Herrera start together: 3 Wins 0 Draws 0 Losses (GD of +5)

Other Game Time when Herrera was subbed on and the 3 played together: 2 goals scored, 0 allowed in 47'

Furthermore, here is a quick breakdown of our losses this year (FYI, for those where I mention that Pirlo starts, I am not implying that he is the reason we lost, just noting that our best midfield was not on the field):
@Orlando: Pirlo starts, we boss most of the game, cannot finish and Larin gets one
@DCU: Pirlo starts, for some reason PV trotted out a lineup we hadn't played with Brillant as a RB in a Back 4 and Mata and Wallace in weird spots.
Home against Orlando: Pirlo starts, again we create plenty of chances, Bendik stands on his head, Larin nets their only chance
@RSL: Clusterfuck of a lineup, I'll leave it at that
@Atlanta: Mikey Lopez in the midfield and our midfield is run over. Atlanta crushes us over a 20' stretch and we can't recover
@Vancouver: Pirlo starts, Herrera gets hurt and subbed off, Maxi was a late sub. PV again makes questionable subs and it hurts us in the end

Notice that none of those occur with our best XI (or even best X with Mata hurt). Sure, there may be questions if we can win the cup, and we very well may not put it together. But there is hardly any proof that our lineup cannot get it done in our regular 4-3-3.

I hope youre right...

I think we have the best roster in MLS, i have higher expectations for this team than what ive seen so far.

ETA: and thats with or without Pirlo on the field. I love Pirlo but club over Player any day of the week.

I hope youre right...

I think we have the best roster in MLS, i have higher expectations for this team than what ive seen so far.

ETA: and thats with or without Pirlo on the field. I love Pirlo but club over Player any day of the week.
Most of that post is actual facts pulled from game results. I guess there are a few opinions mixed in there where I question some lineup/sub choices.

I guess when I see posts that suggest our 4-3-3 lineup with a midfield of Maxi/Ring/Herrera has been proven to not be able to win the cup, I get a bit confused.

I am very interested to see how Toronto lines up. I know that they put out a 4 ATB lineup, but I would think that they go with 3 ATB on the narrow Yankee Stadium pitch.

Interesting article on TFC's recent signing Hasler from Liechtenstein. Probably gets the start at RWB but can play a bunch of other positions.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/nico...ajor-league-soccer-liechtenstein-greg-vanney/

TFC is also getting Edwards back: https://www.thescore.com/mls/news/1334482-larin-replaces-edwards-in-canada-s-gold-cup-squad

Preview from EOS: http://www.empireofsoccer.com/nycfc-seeks-validation-not-revenge-vs-toronto-fc-62931/

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I am very interested to see how Toronto lines up. I know that they put out a 4 ATB lineup, but I would think that they go with 3 ATB on the narrow Yankee Stadium pitch.

Interesting article on TFC's recent signing Hasler from Liechtenstein. Probably gets the start at RWB but can play a bunch of other positions.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/nico...ajor-league-soccer-liechtenstein-greg-vanney/

TFC is also getting Edwards back: https://www.thescore.com/mls/news/1334482-larin-replaces-edwards-in-canada-s-gold-cup-squad

Preview from EOS: http://www.empireofsoccer.com/nycfc-seeks-validation-not-revenge-vs-toronto-fc-62931/

I agree you would have to think they at least consider going with 3ATB based on the success it had against us in the playoffs.

They probably do go back to a Back 3. Here is their lineup two matches ago against Dallas missing some of their Gold Cup guys:
upload_2017-7-18_11-14-32.png

Perhaps with Jozy out, we will see Endoh up top. Their midfield will shuffle a bit with Vazquez in there, Edwards on the left and maybe Hasler on the right. I would guess Cooper plays more of the holding mid that Bradley normally plays.

Reactions: Paul
I do think playing Maxi on the left wing and that midfield is reasonable when we are missing Wallace. Though I'm not certain that would be my choice. If Camargo can translate his Panama performances into a NYCFC kit, then I'd have him out there. If we start to see more positive minutes out of JLew, then I may have him out there. I may even prefer TMac out on the wing, though I'm not completely certain. I'm just not certain I want to mess with our midfield (arguably one of the best in MLS). I kinda wish we could simulate one game with Maxi on LW and Pirlo in the midfield. I'm just not certain Maxi has the tenacity to play defensively outside.

With Wallace available though, I don't see any reason to change the lineup.
Yeah. Rehashing old posts now, but I think if it works, there's a chance to have Wallace replace Sweat in a 4-3-3 or potentially a monster Chelsea style 3-4-2-1. But I'm definitely getting ahead of myself.

Reactions: Joseph Bianco
They probably do go back to a Back 3. Here is their lineup two matches ago against Dallas missing some of their Gold Cup guys:
View attachment 7268

Perhaps with Jozy out, we will see Endoh up top. Their midfield will shuffle a bit with Vazquez in there, Edwards on the left and maybe Hasler on the right. I would guess Cooper plays more of the holding mid that Bradley normally plays.
Cooper is called for Panama, but I think think we will see Edoh or Hamilton up top with Giovinco.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Yeah. Rehashing old posts now, but I think if it works, there's a chance to have Wallace replace Sweat in a 4-3-3 or potentially a monster Chelsea style 3-4-2-1. But I'm definitely getting ahead of myself.
Potentially, yeah. I know in the one match that Wallace played this year at LB, he had some struggles. Now granted that's a small sample size, and it did come with a defensive liability on the LW in TMac, and I'm sure he could improve on that with practicing it more in training.

I just don't think anything is broke.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Potentially, yeah. I know in the one match that Wallace played this year at LB, he had some struggles. Now granted that's a small sample size, and it did come with a defensive liability on the LW in TMac, and I'm sure he could improve on that with practicing it more in training.

Neither. But I think it could be even better. It's really about appetite for risk and maybe some schedule management. If we are feeling more conservative against some teams, then it probably makes sense to have what he hold. If we come up against some weaker or weakened teams, modulo roster restrictions, I'd like to see us try out some higher risk, higher reward strategies.

I just think a weakened Toronto and no Wallace means that this is a good time to forgo local maxima (Maxi + Herrera + Ring + Tommy + Sweat) to try incrementing towards a new global maxima (Maxi + Pirlo + Ring + Herrera + Wallace).

Neither. But I think it could be even better. It's really about appetite for risk and maybe some schedule management. If we are feeling more conservative against some teams, then it probably makes sense to have what he hold. If we come up against some weaker or weakened teams, modulo roster restrictions, I'd like to see us try out some higher risk, higher reward strategies.

I just think a weakened Toronto and no Wallace means that this is a good time to try incrementing towards a new global maxima.

RT

I think a 3421 would with be better for Wallace at LWB than LB in the 433. Maxi would probably play some type of central located LF in that formation instead of T-Mac.

Ahh, you must be thinking about the games where Mikey played while Herrera was at the U-20 WC.

I'm guessing that that article is referring to the games where Herrera started and a healthy Pirlo was on the bench

players recovering for injury but have been cleared sit on the bench all the time.

ETA: Pirlo's first games "back" was as a sub vs Minnesota and he started vs Vancouver... those were out last 2 games.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
The best place to play Pirlo is up top with Villa. This limits his defensive liability, keeps the midfield strong, and you can still get some of the strength's of Pirlo's game at times. Would it be the ideal way to play? hell no, but if the conditions are to play Pirlo at all costs, I think it's the best spot.

We play team defense across the entire field. I don't think there is any hiding Pirlo's lack of defensive effort. If we play him forward, we lose the high press and all positioning we gained from all our possession and have to build again.

I think Pirlo is a niche player that will receive extremely spotting playing time from now until retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.