Status
Not open for further replies.
Our best XI right now, and probably for the rest of the season is:

Wallace - Villa - Harrison
-----------Maxi
-----Herrera----Ring
Sweat Callens/Chanot White
----------Johnson

Have to get as close to that as humanly possible every single game from hereon out, and I'd be shocked to see anything else (save the Wallace sub) Wednesday night, assuming Herrera is fit.

Most of that post is actual facts pulled from game results. I guess there are a few opinions mixed in there where I question some lineup/sub choices.

I guess when I see posts that suggest our 4-3-3 lineup with a midfield of Maxi/Ring/Herrera has been proven to not be able to win the cup, I get a bit confused.

I think the midfield 3 of Ring, Herrera, and Maxi is the most unimpeachable part of this team, among the 3 best in MLS if not outright the best, and IF that midfield cannot be instrumental in us winning an MLS Cup, then nothing can. Seriously. I can find relatively important faults with any other area of our current best XI (meaning without Mata), things such as Sweat's bad positioning and lack of defensive effort, the occasional Callens brain fart, Wallace's horrible finishing, the lack of competent offense from either RJ or White, etc. but no serious weaknesses in our 3 midfielders. They are superb within the right system. Ring is funny when he tries to shoot at goal from distance, but that's not his job. He leads the MLS in tackles, and has great distribution. Herrera will be in Europe before age 23. Maxi is a creative dynamo and does great tiki-taka stuff with Villa, et al. And HATES playing with Pirlo, because Pirlo's slow pace and long balls go against his style.

Any suggestion we should tinker with this midfield by choice is dumb. That's it.

-----------Maxi
-----Herrera----Ring
----------Johnson

Have to get as close to that as humanly possible every single game from hereon out, and I'd be shocked to see anything else (save the Wallace sub) Wednesday night, assuming Herrera is fit.

white is a dumpster fire

Reactions: Mario

-----------Maxi
-----Herrera----Ring
----------Johnson

i'm hoping we sign a LB this summer

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Moving on, I would rate the state of our current best XI as follows:

need relatively urgent upgrade: RB, LB
could use upgrade: LW (because of finishing)
Every other position doesn't need an upgrade unless it's one you wouldn't pass on (Hello, Iniesta!), and we should rather invest in depth

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
white is a dumpster fire
White has been part of the best back line the team has ever put together and has overachieved according to most expectations. We can't rely on two too-forward playing wing backs, and he's been good about staying home when he should and pushing forward when Sweat is behind on the counter. Absolutely more than serviceable thus far.

players recovering for injury but have been cleared sit on the bench all the time.

ETA: Pirlo's first games "back" was as a sub vs Minnesota and he started vs Vancouver... those were out last 2 games.
True, but the first two games Herrera started were before Pirlo suffered his injury. So I think the point still stands. Every time Herrera has been available since the Columbus game, he has started.

Reactions: Ulrich
Neither. But I think it could be even better. It's really about appetite for risk and maybe some schedule management. If we are feeling more conservative against some teams, then it probably makes sense to have what he hold. If we come up against some weaker or weakened teams, modulo roster restrictions, I'd like to see us try out some higher risk, higher reward strategies.

I just think a weakened Toronto and no Wallace means that this is a good time to forgo local maxima (Maxi + Herrera + Ring + Tommy + Sweat) to try incrementing towards a new global maxima (Maxi + Pirlo + Ring + Herrera + Wallace).
I honestly wouldn't be completely upset with a lineup tomorrow that has Maxi on the wing and Pirlo in the midfield. Not what I'd prefer, but I'd be ok with it.

I really don't think we should play around with moving Wallace back

White has been part of the best back line the team has ever put together and has overachieved according to most expectations. We can't rely on two too-forward playing wing backs, and he's been good about staying home when he should and pushing forward when Sweat is behind on the counter. Absolutely more than serviceable thus far.

i have no energy left for an ethan white sucks argument.

Reactions: Mario
my usual saying is "well i guess you're satisfied with medicority" but that only applies to players who have potential to be mediocre at best.... ethan white is terrible.

Reactions: Joseph Bianco
When are we going to sign someone? Are we going to sign someone? DP level? It's been a few weeks into the transfer window.

I would imagine the 2 week break would have been a perfect time to bring in a new player.

The upcoming matches will be huge and maybe PV isnt wanting to rock the boat going into that stretch. Apart from the Iniesta and Fuchs rumors, there's been very little chatter.

When are we going to sign someone? Are we going to sign someone? DP level? It's been a few weeks into the transfer window.

I would imagine the 2 week break would have been a perfect time to bring in a new player.

The upcoming matches will be huge and maybe PV isnt wanting to rock the boat going into that stretch. Apart from the Iniesta and Fuchs rumors, there's been very little chatter.

we have no DP spots left?

Status
Not open for further replies.