Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Next game is back at home. Next Sunday against Redbulls. Redemption Day.

Mid-day kickoff 12:00 ESPN

I think this one will be completely different than last game. In the Red Bull Wedding, our starting midfield was Lopez, Pirlo, and Bravo. Lopez and Bravo failed to reel in a pass seven times in the last matchup due to bad touch, according to WhoScored.com. Bravo was also second in passes attempted (behind Brillant) yet completed just 62.8% of them. I didn't realize how poorly he played in distribution that game until now. As a result of all of the above, Pirlo touched the ball just 41 times, 8th most on the team.

So even though we won possession with 57%, the ball was in our third a full 40% of the time, and only 21% of the time in the Red Bull's third. We had nothing going forward and were sitting ducks waiting for their press to dispossess us in an attacking position and easily convert.

In this game, the Red Bull's press will still be bothersome against our backline, but if we stick with Lampard, Pirlo, and Iraola, I think they will be vastly better on the ball and handle any pressure in the middle third of the pitch. We should win possession again, but the key will be to hold that possession in the middle third of the pitch or higher, and to actually create some attacking chances with it, hopefully through the other lineup change since the last game, Harrison.

We also may have an advantage because we have seven off days leading into the rematch, while the Red Bulls will be coming off a US Open Cup game against Philly on Wednesday. It'll be interesting to see their Wednesday lineup and how many starters they play.

I'm optimistic that we can grab a point this time. I'll speculate a scoreline of 2-2, with us looking significantly better than last matchup, but still making a few individual errors that cost us a chance for three points.

EDIT: Also, as I was typing this, the Red Bulls just gave up a goal in stoppage time to drop two points in Columbus. Lovely.

I should probably wear my black Johansen goalkeeper jersey to mourn our loss last game. Then again I'll probably sweat my ass off since it's a noon game in July.

I want more night games. We've never played the Red Bulls at home at night. I want that.

Looks like we are going to see an even smaller crowd than last match based off of ticketmaster. Also, resale tickets are priced much lower than last derby.

I think this one will be completely different than last game. In the Red Bull Wedding, our starting midfield was Lopez, Pirlo, and Bravo. Lopez and Bravo failed to reel in a pass seven times in the last matchup due to bad touch, according to WhoScored.com. Bravo was also second in passes attempted (behind Brillant) yet completed just 62.8% of them. I didn't realize how poorly he played in distribution that game until now. As a result of all of the above, Pirlo touched the ball just 41 times, 8th most on the team.

So even though we won possession with 57%, the ball was in our third a full 40% of the time, and only 21% of the time in the Red Bull's third. We had nothing going forward and were sitting ducks waiting for their press to dispossess us in an attacking position and easily convert.

In this game, the Red Bull's press will still be bothersome against our backline, but if we stick with Lampard, Pirlo, and Iraola, I think they will be vastly better on the ball and handle any pressure in the middle third of the pitch. We should win possession again, but the key will be to hold that possession in the middle third of the pitch or higher, and to actually create some attacking chances with it, hopefully through the other lineup change since the last game, Harrison.

We also may have an advantage because we have seven off days leading into the rematch, while the Red Bulls will be coming off a US Open Cup game against Philly on Wednesday. It'll be interesting to see their Wednesday lineup and how many starters they play.

I'm optimistic that we can grab a point this time. I'll speculate a scoreline of 2-2, with us looking significantly better than last matchup, but still making a few individual errors that cost us a chance for three points.

EDIT: Also, as I was typing this, the Red Bulls just gave up a goal in stoppage time to drop two points in Columbus. Lovely.
Should see us pressing more as well. We did it very well last night at times. Really need to use our field to our advantage and press constantly.
We used some great triangle passing to get out of press yesterday. Was great to see them keeping posession and playing out of pressure. Also we played a midweek game last time. Now they have one. Perfect.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Looks like we are going to see an even smaller crowd than last match based off of ticketmaster. Also, resale tickets are priced much lower than last derby.
Holliday weekend is a tough one. STH behind me isn't showing because he'll be away. He gave us his tickets for our friends for Sunday, but I can only imagine how many STH will be away that don't give away or resell the tickets. Either way I'm not really excited and am awfully nervous for what we will see Sunday. We were flying high into the derby last time and well... Yeah... Just gonna start drinking early to prep myself.

Holliday weekend is a tough one. STH behind me isn't showing because he'll be away. He gave us his tickets for our friends for Sunday, but I can only imagine how many STH will be away that don't give away or resell the tickets. Either way I'm not really excited and am awfully nervous for what we will see Sunday. We were flying high into the derby last time and well... Yeah... Just gonna start drinking early to prep myself.
Hopefully the market will froth up now that it is officially game week. This is a big one.

Next Sunday is our own Battle of the Bastards......

The usurper RB team, from a lower House and State, massacred those at Yankee Stadium at what was known as the RedBull Wedding, and they wrongfully took the City. They don't have the support of the local folk. They are the false Wardens of Gotham. They are led by a diminutive Ginger that slings sarcasm & shade via his twitter hounds. And once they unceremoniously stabbed their former leader Petke in the back.

Sunday afternoon, on the fields of the Bronx, the tide will turn by the hands of a player not seen by them before, Harrison will help lead the once rag-tag group's front line - his lineage is a combination of two great Houses, NYCFC & ManU - the once great name from across the seas. Supported by the wiley veteran Pirlo and Villa's free-folk tantrums, Harrison will don his Valyrian Adidas (Messi?) boots and sprint to the front.

The tide may sway during the course of the battle, at times looking favorable and also desperately bleak.... but in the moment of need, the one once counted out will ghost into the box and Lampard will score the stunner.... and in the end, there will be no place to hide, and the House of RedBull will be swept aside and decimated by the rightful NYC team.

The usurper RB team, from a lower House and State, massacred those at Yankee Stadium at what was known as the RedBull Wedding, and they wrongfully took the City. They don't have the support of the local folk. They are the false Wardens of Gotham. They are led by a diminutive Ginger that slings sarcasm & shade via his twitter hounds. And once they unceremoniously stabbed their former leader Petke in the back.

Sunday afternoon, on the fields of the Bronx, the tide will turn by the hands of a player not seen by them before, Harrison will help lead the once rag-tag group's front line - his lineage is a combination of two great Houses, NYCFC & ManU - the once great name from across the seas. Supported by the wiley veteran Pirlo and Villa's free-folk tantrums, Harrison will don his Valyrian Adidas (Messi?) boots and sprint to the front.

The tide may sway during the course of the battle, at times looking favorable and also desperately bleak.... but in the moment of need, the one once counted out will ghost into the box and Lampard will score the stunner.... and in the end, there will be no place to hide, and the House of RedBull will be swept aside and decimated by the rightful NYC team.

Jumpin Jack as TPTWP. I'll buy it :)

Reactions: Ulrich

New York City Remembers.

Still can't believe this game is on July 4th weekend. I can see there being a light crowd. At least it cant hurt our absent home field advantage.

Bravo, sir!

Reactions: kylelovescrayons
NYCFC has been airing the same NY Derby match advertisement on FS1 for the Copa America games recently. It's getting annoying honestly.

Now today, I saw the same NY Derby advertisement during the England-Iceland halftime.

Last edited:

Between this and the Modell's Mix promotion in which you get 2 free tix for buying $50 of team gear, I think it's fair to say that demand for this game is lagging prior RB games considerably. Playing at noon on Sunday of a holiday weekend combined with the 7-0 debacle could make this the lowest attended RB game yet at YS.

Reactions: Gene and adam

Between this and the Modell's Mix promotion in which you get 2 free tix for buying $50 of team gear, I think it's fair to say that demand for this game is lagging prior RB games considerably. Playing at noon on Sunday of a holiday weekend combined with the 7-0 debacle could make this the lowest attended RB game yet at YS.

Throw in The Euros and I'm on the fence. I'm afraid I'll end up kicking myself I miss our first win over THEM but it does require me probably leaving at about 8.30 AM to make the train from CT and then having to find somewhere nearby to watch France -Iceland .

And the massive ad buys for Euros and Copa America, I think it will be less than 30,000

Status
Not open for further replies.