Homegrown And The New Cba

SayWhat44

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Oct 27, 2014
Now I know before I write this it's ambitious and has a lot of moving parts. Now I don't exactly know how the NCAA rules work. I played sports in college but how they might rule on my current thought I have no idea. I have been reading a couple of articles especially the one from ESPNFC about Klingsmann and his staff basically encouraging youth national team kids to sign with European teams.

http://www.espnfc.com/team/united-s...-young-player-advice-as-mls-frustration-grows

This particular article and many like it go on to speak about how the owners of MLS teams are getting angry because they're investing a lot in these kids and losing them for nothing.

Now I began to think about this and wondering if it was possible to set up some type of deferred compensation for academy players. Basically the issue is that most of the academy players won't play professional soccer. So training and gaining college scholarships are the way to earn for most of them. Now for the good ones I would like them to set up some type of deferred comp. Based on how long they've been with the academy and after college or whenever they're ready to sign they get "x amount" of money plus and applicable signing bonus the club seems fit. Also these signing bonuses are exempt from MLS salary caps. Now I also know the NCAA will have issue but who cares it won't be guaranteed unless they sign with an MLS team and of course change the name from what it actually is "deferred comp" to something new and edgy like "generation next contract".

Anything is possible but if the US Soccer staff is really encouraging them to go Europe then nothing the MLS academies do or say will deter them. It's mostly a perception or mental issue. A little money won't help you there.

Reactions: Kjbert
Jurgen Klinsmann doesn't work for MLS.
Jurgen Klinsmann works for the US Soccer Federation.
And the USSF isn't beholden to MLS.
Jurgen Klinsmann's job (and the mission of the USSF) is to put together the best team of American soccer players that can compete with the rest of the world. So if the best players and most competitive leagues are outside the United States (or not MLS), then you can't knock Klinsmann for advising young players to play overseas.

The NCAA isn't a factor in the debate betweeen Klinsmann and MLS. The NCAA and colleges and universities can't pay student-athletes (and that's a whole other debate). But if a young American wants to make soccer their profession, you usually don't go to college (guys like Jozy Altidore was barely out of high school before he started playing professionally), they'll probably hook up with a lower-division team in the US or Europe or maybe get picked up by an academy here or abroad.

But I think the only thing MLS (and the rest of the US soccer pyramid) can do is throw more money at players and coaches to play in the US (and that would mean marketing American soccer to more corporate sponsors).

Did Klinnsmann (or anyone else for that matter) ever give any examples of success stories for US players in top Euro leagues? I may have missed that.

Jurgen Klinsmann's job (and the mission of the USSF) is to put together the best team of American soccer players that can compete with the rest of the world. So if the best players and most competitive leagues are outside the United States (or not MLS), then you can't knock Klinsmann for advising young players to play overseas.

The NCAA isn't a factor in the debate betweeen Klinsmann and MLS. The NCAA and colleges and universities can't pay student-athletes (and that's a whole other debate). But if a young American wants to make soccer their profession, you usually don't go to college (guys like Jozy Altidore was barely out of high school before he started playing professionally), they'll probably hook up with a lower-division team in the US or Europe or maybe get picked up by an academy here or abroad.

But I think the only thing MLS (and the rest of the US soccer pyramid) can do is throw more money at players and coaches to play in the US (and that would mean marketing American soccer to more corporate sponsors).
Don't believe that AT ALL.

England national team struggles and they are ~38% of EPL starters. Now you think its a good idea to force a handful of our best kids over to Europe to sit on a bench somewhere? You think that's going to get the job done? Deliver us a World Cup? HELL NO.

He should try and keep our best here, if they're good enough Europe will notice and take them like Yedlin, Dempsey, Bradley, ect.

If you're sitting on a bench in Europe, he should be telling them to come back to MLS immediately. They need to be playing. Playing and LEADING teams.

He should even be promoting MLS to foreign stars to find the next Thierry Henry. That guy has imparted a lot of knowledge to the guys he's played with. Other foreign players can do that for way more Americans in MLS.

The top US league is the best tool to winning a world cup; sending a handful of kids to Europe won't get it done.

The top US league is the best tool to winning a world cup; sending a handful of kids to Europe won't get it done.

+1. Klinsmann is guilty of medium-term thinking disguised as long-term thinking. The long-term success of the USMNT depends on getting MLS to be a top league in the 2nd-tier.

England national team struggles and they are ~38% of EPL starters. Now you think its a good idea to force a handful of our best kids over to Europe to sit on a bench somewhere? You think that's going to get the job done? Deliver us a World Cup? HELL NO.

I think you're missing the point about England. The reason the England team struggles is for reasons the US team does not have to deal with.

In England the idea that club football is more important than international football is quickly taking over, meaning English players usually spend their international matches trying their best not to get injured for when they return home to their clubs, or simply not caring much about the result because that cup match in two weeks is far more interesting to them.

Additionally, English managers simply cannot seem to pull themselves away from the nostalgia of obsolete tactics which were last in fashion in the early 90s, and even moreso youth-level coaches cannot get over their hell-bent fixation that the only skills young players need are the ability to run in a straight line fast and barge other players off the ball with their superior strength, so we have virtually no young players with technical ability to promote - not that it matters, because England managers can't seem to get over the idea that it is anathema to play a young rising star in place of the 34-year old legend who everyone knows is several years past his best but no-one seems to be willing to let go.

Finally, the media's crucifixion of the FA every time they try to hire a foreign manager under the principle of "if only English players can play for England then only English managers should be allowed to manage" means there's no foreign influence coming in - Eriksson and Capello spent more time being slaughtered in the press for daring to take the England job than they got press minutes talking about their actual on-field exploits.

By all means argue that Klinsmann is wrong to abuse MLS as he does, but don't use England as an example of why he is wrong, because England has a set of problems you won't have to worry about for decades.

The NCAA is absolutely a factor. It is a complete debat in itself, but it's intrinsically related to this discussion. The idea of maintaining amateur status has allowed MLS clubs to be cheap when it comes to investing in development. It's also costing them in the long run because they are missing out on the best talent and no one in the US soccer infrastructure is getting remunerated for highly sought after talents. There's no reason someone shouldn't have collected a fat check for a kid like Zelalem. He's a product of the US, but Arsenal gets him for free. He could have seen 1st team minutes in MLS this year (limited, but some I'm sure), but instead, he's getting paid at Arsenal and no one here has a financial interest. Totally short-sighted.

I think you're missing the point about England. The reason the England team struggles is for reasons the US team does not have to deal with.

In England the idea that club football is more important than international football is quickly taking over, meaning English players usually spend their international matches trying their best not to get injured for when they return home to their clubs, or simply not caring much about the result because that cup match in two weeks is far more interesting to them.

Additionally, English managers simply cannot seem to pull themselves away from the nostalgia of obsolete tactics which were last in fashion in the early 90s, and even moreso youth-level coaches cannot get over their hell-bent fixation that the only skills young players need are the ability to run in a straight line fast and barge other players off the ball with their superior strength, so we have virtually no young players with technical ability to promote - not that it matters, because England managers can't seem to get over the idea that it is anathema to play a young rising star in place of the 34-year old legend who everyone knows is several years past his best but no-one seems to be willing to let go.

Finally, the media's crucifixion of the FA every time they try to hire a foreign manager under the principle of "if only English players can play for England then only English managers should be allowed to manage" means there's no foreign influence coming in - Eriksson and Capello spent more time being slaughtered in the press for daring to take the England job than they got press minutes talking about their actual on-field exploits.

By all means argue that Klinsmann is wrong to abuse MLS as he does, but don't use England as an example of why he is wrong, because England has a set of problems you won't have to worry about for decades.
Yah we have the nfl, nba, mlb, nhl & million other sports that are way a bigger problem than the Brits could ever imagine.

Now you think its a good idea to force a handful of our best kids over to Europe to sit on a bench somewhere? You think that's going to get the job done? Deliver us a World Cup? HELL NO.

Jurgen Klinsmann is looking for the best American players . . . regardless where they're located or if they're starting or on the bench. If he brings a 23-man roster of American MLS players to Russia in 2018 who do well, that's great for MLS. If there are players from outside of MLS, then so be it. Either way, an American team doing well on the world stage is good for American soccer whether or not MLS is a part of it.

MLS has this holier than thou attitude thinking they are the only show in town (and it's this same attitude that will ensure pro / reg will NEVER make it in the US, but that's another can of worms). Klinsmann has the open mind to say that you can find American players outside of current MLS rosters (ie, NASL's Miguel Ibarra and Stanford's Jordan Morris).

Single entity was great in getting the league to here, but it is going to be its biggest problem in the future

If you don't think it's a big deal, wait until a NYCFC academy kid is encourage by the Klinnsman staff to go abroad and he signs with ManU. Think I'm kidding? Just happened to RSL last week.

Can we go back to the best comment in this thread? The one where we had a success story of a kid leaving the US and becoming a success in Europe?

I'm still waiting for that kid to pop his head up. Maybe it happens, but I don't think Klinsmann has a success story to fall back on here.

Can we go back to the best comment in this thread? The one where we had a success story of a kid leaving the US and becoming a success in Europe?

I'm still waiting for that kid to pop his head up. Maybe it happens, but I don't think Klinsmann has a success story to fall back on here.
Rossi?

T

Tbh though, if Manchester United come calling he was always gonna leave (I wouldn't, but that's a different matter. I'd tell them where to go!)
Possibly. The point thought of this thread I thought was to discuss what Klinsmann is doing. If his staff are actively encouraging kids to apply to other academies, to other clubs then I think thats a detriment to MLS and I want it stopped.

Possibly. The point thought of this thread I thought was to discuss what Klinsmann is doing. If his staff are actively encouraging kids to apply to other academies, to other clubs then I think thats a detriment to MLS and I want it stopped.
I agree to a certain extent, we've seen with players such as Beckerman, Donovan and Dempsey to a certain extent that playing in the MLS has done then no harm. ATM, it's good to have some players in Europe because in most cases the standard is better, but forcing them to go abroad when it may not even be better is stupid.