Jack Harrison to Manchester City - Official

MLSsoccer.com operates mostly as an independent news site, which is good. They post rumors, negative news stories and critical pieces on players and coaches. They also offer editorial commentary. It's a pretty good news/opiniom/rumor site on it's own outside of official news

They could just wait for the clubs to officially announce player/coaching moves and stay silent until then, or they can publish credible rumors as they come up, often days or weeks before it's official..

The website is not a PR dept.
Unless there are disclaimers, postings on a company website are company approved. Writeups on MLS.com may intend to be “independent” but by the very nature of being linked by the “news” button on their front splash page, it absolutely give credence that the league is issuing the postings.... or in other words, a PR Dept (perhaps staffed by freelancers)

Reactions: ktdNYCFC
Article says Jack was a Liverpool and ManU academy product.... was he really with Liverpool (don’t ever remember hearing that before) or is that creative reporting?

That aside, Celtic is an interesting option, if true, as he’d be surrounded by a higher caliber of player relative to that on opposing teams, while also likely getting good minutes and continental competition. Celtic is also big enough and visible enough to act as a springboard to the EPL for players that distinguish themselves.

Sorry if this is off topic, but is there usually any difference in/a tendency for teams paying higher transfer fees during the summer as opposed to the winter?

Kind of. What it essentially boils down to is this: the mid-season transfer window is shorter (especially so in Europe) and so it's harder for everyone to complete the transfers they want in that time, which in turn can cause transfer chains to collapse, thus affecting several teams at once. On top of that, it's more risky to sign a player in the middle of the season, when it's necessary for them to make an instant impact if they don't want to be labelled a flop, and when they have little time to acclimatise to the new teammates and playing style.

For this reason clubs are more reluctant to sell, and buying clubs therefore will frequently find that they need to offer more money just in order to persuade the selling club to even be willing to consider their offer.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
dummyrun with a nice shout out on Soccer in America yesterday

Celtic is a much better option. He'll play a lot. He can replace Roberts next Fall. He'll play in Europe. Great place for him.

I'm going to change the thread title. That's what I get for trusting Stoke Twitterati

Reactions: Kjbert
What's the deal with Patrick Roberts? Is he injured? Just looked up their last few games on whoscored and didn't see him in the 18. Him and jack are very similar. Still on loan from City, right?

I'll take a straight swap for Tierney :p

Edit: posted before loan status clarification above. I take too long with my posts.

Celtic is probably sitting on $60 Million of transfer sales right now. Dembele and Tierney will fetch $50 Million alone (assuming Dembele can stay on the field).

dummyrun with a nice shout out on Soccer in America yesterday

Celtic is a much better option. He'll play a lot. He can replace Roberts next Fall. He'll play in Europe. Great place for him.

I'm going to change the thread title. That's what I get for trusting Stoke Twitterati
If he goes to Celtic, I want a sell-on clause added. Not that the money will be anything other than loose change in the CFG coffers, but Celtic is a great place for a player to distinguish themself if up to the task. And who knows, maybe MLS changes their obscenely low GAM amount before he leaves which then makes the sell-on even more beneficial.

So does Celtic actually have interest in Jack or it is some journalist proposing that Celtic should bid for him? The article reads like the latter to me.

I mean I could write something saying “NYCFC should sign Fernando Torres” but that doesn’t mean the club actually is interested in doing so.
You read it right.

Celtic inquired on Jack last summer. Define "inquired" as you see fit

If Jack is smart he should stay here in the States and become a potential star. If he moves to the EPL he will drift into the ether, and barely play. His mother made a very smart move by moving him here to have a way better chance of playing professional football for a living. What happened to Mix, Shay Facey? What happened to Angeliño? Poof... gone... And we will never hear from them again. If he was truly smart he would get dual citizenship and play for the U.S. Men's National Team, god knows we could use him up front.

Last edited:
If he was truly smart he would get dual citizenship and play for the U.S. Men's National Team, god knows we could use him.

Jack can’t ever play for the USMNT. In order to be eligible to switch, he must have citizenship of the country he would potentially switch to at the time he plays an official youth game for the other country. Since he still only has a green card and played for England - even if he gets US citizenship later, he’s still out of luck.

Same thing happened with Diego Fagundez who played for Uruguay youth team and now is saying he wants to play for the US. Nope.

If Jack is smart he should stay here in the States and become a potential star. If he moves to the EPL he will drift into the ether, and barely play. His mother made a very smart move by moving him here to have a way better chance of playing professional football for a living. What happened to Mix, Shay Facey? What happened to Angeliño? Poof... gone... And we will never hear from them again. If he was truly smart he would get dual citizenship and play for the U.S. Men's National Team, god knows we could use him up front.

He can’t ever play for USMNT. He was blooded with England before he ever was a dual citizen. It’s England or bust for him now from an national team persective.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
He can't play for the USMNT anymore. He is cap-tied now to England after playing for the U-21s.

EPL has the money and the prestige, especially for an Englishman. It's probably always been a dream of his to play in the EPL. Can't blame him for wanting to fulfill that

ETA: That's what I get for typing slowly

EPL has the money and the prestige, especially for an Englishman. It's probably always been a dream of his to play in the EPL. Can't blame him for wanting to fulfill that.

He's playing with one of the best in the business David Villa. And is being closely coached by Patrick Vieira. And is friends with Frank Lampard. And has hanged around the "Maestro" Pirlo. What more would you want besides money :moneybag: and glory :trophy:? That may NOT happen if he goes back to Europe.

What happened to Mix, Shay Facey? What happened to Angeliño? Poof... gone... And we will never hear from them again.