Jack Harrison to Manchester City - Official

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE JACK'S STILL WITH THE TEAM !! He's in the video's training ! Why get everyone upset with speculation ?? Lets hope the decision makers take note and tell the boy HELL NO You ain't going nowhere ........... Forum Please Check Your Facts............Thank You !
Angela, the facts are that there is interest in Jack from English clubs. That has been reported.

If we wanted to remove speculation from the forum, we might as well delete half of the content on here.

If Jack is smart he should stay here in the States and become a potential star. If he moves to the EPL he will drift into the ether, and barely play. His mother made a very smart move by moving him here to have a way better chance of playing professional football for a living. What happened to Mix, Shay Facey? What happened to Angeliño? Poof... gone... And we will never hear from them again. If he was truly smart he would get dual citizenship and play for the U.S. Men's National Team, god knows we could use him up front.
There's only upside for him moving to Europe. Worst case scenario is that he comes back here - nothing lost. Best case scenario is significant upside.

Moving up to a bigger club is the right goal, but it is always hard to suss out whether a given situation is a good one. For every Cameron or Howard or Yedlin, there is an Agudelo or Shea. Are things working out for Miazga? Still hard to say.

Three things can happen, he goes over and gets playing time and shines. He goes over and gets put on the bench and doesn't play. He goes over and gets loaned to a league that is not much better than where he is now. Two of those are bad, but that risk may be worth the one good outcome. The problem is that only a portion of that outcome rests on Harrison. The rest is with the Club and how they handle him.

Stoke or Glasgow is an interesting choice of shitholes to move to for someone in New York.

Less of an interesting choice for someone who was born and grew up in Stoke...

I do think Pulisic is a bad example considering he came up through the youth academies

Yeah, sorry. For obvious reasons it takes me a bit more effort to summon up the names of various US players based on various criteria so I couldn't think of a better alternative at the time. I should've said Geoff Cameron, perhaps?

Reactions: SoupInNYC
There’s nothing worse than riding the bench or even worse NEVER even making the bench and never playing at a so called bigger team.

I say follow your dreams whatever they maybe. But I'm not his mum or his agent, LOL.

Unless you think he sucks as a player, why do you think he will sit on the bench? And if you think he sucks as a player, then why do you care? And if you thinks NYCFC is a bigger club than Stoke, and he is playing for NYCFC, then why wouldn't he play for Stoke?

Moving up to a bigger club is the right goal, but it is always hard to suss out whether a given situation is a good one. For every Cameron or Howard or Yedlin, there is an Agudelo or Shea. Are things working out for Miazga? Still hard to say.

Three things can happen, he goes over and gets playing time and shines. He goes over and gets put on the bench and doesn't play. He goes over and gets loaned to a league that is not much better than where he is now. Two of those are bad, but that risk may be worth the one good outcome. The problem is that only a portion of that outcome rests on Harrison. The rest is with the Club and how they handle him.

Fair point, but remember that he is an Englishman. The problems that Agudelo and Shea had were around their work permits originally. They should have NEVER gone over there until the work permit fiasco was figured out. They went entirely for the cash grab and their careers stalled because of it.

For Miazga, it has been a fantastic move. He makes more money, he plays every weekend in the Dutch League and his value on the transfer market and within the USMNT has increased. Slam Dunk in my eyes.

There's only upside for him moving to Europe. Worst case scenario is that he comes back here - nothing lost. Best case scenario is significant upside.
“Nothing Lost” is misleading. Let’s all not forget that if Jack heads off to Never-Never Land, tried his luck, & then decides to come “home” to MLS, he won’t be a slam-dunk to rejoin NYCFC. Leaving on a transfer would throw him back into the Allocation bucket and we’d have to give something up to get back his rights. The idea that he can have a swan song move back to his roots, ala Rooney and others, is not guaranteed.

“Nothing Lost” is misleading. Let’s all not forget that if Jack heads off to Never-Never Land, tried his luck, & then decides to come “home” to MLS, he won’t be a slam-dunk to rejoin NYCFC. Leaving on a transfer would throw him back into the Allocation bucket and we’d have to give something up to get back his rights. The idea that he can have a swan song move back to his roots, ala Rooney and others, is not guaranteed.

Yea, but you're looking at this through the prism of what's in NYCFC's best interest, not Jack's

Reactions: FredMertz
Yea, but you're looking at this through the prism of what's in NYCFC's best interest, not Jack's
No, I’m just saying that if the shit goes south in Europe and Jack decides he wants a more stable gig back in MLS, there’s zero guarantee he will be able to get “home” to NYCFC. His rights could easily be nabbed by RSL or Austin or some other club he has no interest in. How appealing would that be as a parachute move?

No, I’m just saying that if the shit goes south in Europe and Jack decides he wants a more stable gig back in MLS, there’s zero guarantee he will be able to get “home” to NYCFC. His rights could easily be nabbed by RSL or Austin or some other club he has no interest in. How appealing would that be as a parachute move?

Or he could go play on the Continent or the Championship

$4.5M, $6M, $20M. It doesn't matter to NYCFC, CFG unless MLS changes the rules so teams can acquire more GAM than $650K from transfers.

What do we need the money for, really?
Maybe if Stoke paid NYCFC $6M and also randomly made a philanthropic donation of $4M to BdB’s favorite charities, er, the New York City Housing Authority, on behalf of him, then we may have an optimum deal.

Maybe if Stoke paid NYCFC $6M and also randomly made a philanthropic donation of $4M to BdB’s favorite charities, er, the New York City Housing Authority, on behalf of him, then we may have an optimum deal.

All it takes to get a stadium is to sell Jack Harrison? That's what we've been missing all along since 2013.

$4.5M, $6M, $20M. It doesn't matter to NYCFC, CFG unless MLS changes the rules so teams can acquire more GAM than $650K from transfers.

What do we need the money for, really?
I know a lot of the discussion around this is what is in Jack's best interests. And we can all speculate and provide very valid reasons for what is or isn't in his best interests, but ultimately he's the one that knows taking everything into factor (salary demands, playing time, system, where he wants to live, his teammates, etc., etc.) - there's a lot that goes into it.

But lets think of things from an NYCFC perspective....

If I'm NYCFC, I try to convince Jack that he needs one more year here before making the move. Reasons below:
  • I think one more year of Jack on the RW, especially now with an offensive, overlapping fullback will really allow Jack to shine a bit more and can possibly get that transfer fee raised a bit. The one concern here (and really this wouldn't be the issue with the team, but only in regards to the transfer fee) is if we are really high on our other wingers to the point that they may seriously cut into Jack's PT and he cannot showcase himself enough.
  • I've done some speculating that since we technically acquired Jack in a trade and not by actually drafting him ourselves, that perhaps we can receive the max 2/3 of the transfer fee. But I'm not entirely convinced that that is how MLS will see it. I'd honestly be surprised if we sell him now and receive the 2/3. Holding onto him one more year makes that more of a guarantee.
  • There has been lots of talk that MLS may revisit the amount of GAM that teams get when selling their players. Holding onto Jack one more year allows those rules to potentially fall in place and we could possibly get more GAM out of it.
  • We have one more year of a quality winger on the field contributing to our team's goals.
Now, this isn't ultimately up to the club. I would try to convince Jack to stay one more year, but if he really wants to go now, then they gotta do the right thing and get it done.

Edit: Edited post to reflect change noted in Lion's post below.

Last edited:
've done some speculating that since we technically acquired Jack in a trade and not by actually drafting him ourselves, that perhaps we can receive the max $650k GAM. But I'm not entirely convinced that that is how MLS will see it. I'd honestly be surprised if we sell him now and receive the $650k. Holding onto him one more year makes that more of a guarantee.

It's the total transfer fee dollars that are allocated between NYCFC and MLS. Given the transfer fee is already where it is, even if it's 1/2 or 2/3, we're arriving at NYCFC's cut above $650K USD, thus we'll receive the maximum allowable of GAM.

There has been lots of talk that MLS may revisit the amount of GAM that teams get when selling their players. Holding onto Jack one more year allows those rules to potentially fall in place and we could possibly get more GAM out of it.

Yes, the figure was 1.5M GAM. And while there were talks on social media of that being the figure, nothing materialized as confirmation. However, roster rules are released in February, so maybe the change has been agreed to, but we just don't know yet. And hopefully, it is did change, it would backdate to this transfer window.