Jesus Medina signs as young DP

You are going to complain about "effectiveness" or something is sure

I like the move young DP better then 34 yr old DP or whatever we were linked to

I don't know who you want though? Like actual names.

I'm sure if Atlanta or LAFC or Toronto made this move everyone will say "oh what a great signing we need signings like this" even though some the young South American signings are about to also debut this year we don't know how they will play out in this league

There is still TAM so I'm sure they can get a one or two more signings we still need striker I think and possibly a solid backup CB

But then again it's NYC this town booed the crap out of porzingis when drafted and many signings in baseball football etc get criticized before they even play

MLS is a year to year league. Our window to win is now. Our best player is 36. If Arjun Robben gives us a better chance to win next season, I would have gotten on board with that. We know what we get with a guy like that.

This guy is a complete unknown. On the heels of Maxi last year, this isn't the slam dunk or ambitious move I was hoping for

MLS is a year to year league. Our window to win is now. Our best player is 36. If Arjun Robben gives us a better chance to win next season, I would have gotten on board with that. We know what we get with a guy like that.

This guy is a complete unknown. On the heels of Maxi last year, this isn't the slam dunk or ambitious move I was hoping for

And we don't know how Robben reacts to traveling on commercial air travel every other week and how he can recover after getting hacked every week by bad fouls (and mls refs doing nothing) so he may equal or worse than the 20 yr old kid

Just because it's a known name does not automatically translate to huge impact on the field I'm sure these three years have shown you that ( besides villa of course) and in Robbin case dude been having lots of nagging injuries recently

Let the kid play and see where we are come June to see how it looks

If window is such an issue you should of been pissed with lampard gate and pirlo signing in year two ....unless you been pissed since then

And we don't know how Robben reacts to traveling on commercial air travel every other week and how he can recover after getting hacked every week by bad fouls (and mls refs doing nothing) so he may equal or worse than the 20 yr old kid

Just because it's a known name does not automatically translate to huge impact on the field I'm sure these three years have shown you that ( besides villa of course) and in Robbin case dude been having lots of nagging injuries recently

If window is such an issue you should of been pissed with lampard gate and pirlo signing in year two ....unless you been pissed since then

I’d be less concerned if the club had shown the cold blood nature to quickly move from a bad decision if the kid doesn’t work out and needs to be sold. If they cut Maxi and signed another DP, well then they can take chances; since it I’d feel comfortable they’d sell Jesus at a loss and move on if need be.

I know you've only admitted to watch NYCFC this season, so I'm sure you missed Toronto, Atlanta and Portland.

No dude, I always watched nycfc I don't watch the rest of the league in regular season

If numbers is your thing we did better than two of those teams you mentioned (hell we got more points than Toronto in 2016)

Your question if any club has gotten as little production out of DP's than us. The answer is yes because see all those teams that finished below us and didn't make playoffs or got bounced in wildcard round.

I’d be less concerned if the club had shown the cold blood nature to quickly move from a bad decision if the kid doesn’t work out and needs to be sold. If they cut Maxi and signed another DP, well then they can take chances; since it I’d feel comfortable they’d sell Jesus at a loss and move on if need be.

I don't want the team to be a flip flopping team that cuts and resells big pieces in and out year In and out. No way you stay top spots that way

Toronto and Seattle had a base of a squad and added pieces to improve it. Yes all three DP's came in same time for Toronto but took like three years to finally win. We start cutting people right away and buying someone else to improve then we become like many NYC sports teams for quick fixes that never really work

This is why getting a young DP is fine to rather than getting injury prone robben or a big name just because we assume it will mean right away we are gonnna win now

I've literally stated in this thread that I'm willing to give the kid the beginning of the season to see how he does. I don't know what your issue is with me? The Lampard fiasco sucked. The Pirlo fiasco sucked. The Maxi signing was a big yawn. I was hoping they would find the right note with this signing. Maybe they will. I'm open minded, but on its face, it's disappointing.

Reactions: adam and Ulrich
No dude, I always watched nycfc I don't watch the rest of the league in regular season

If numbers is your thing we did better than two of those teams you mentioned (hell we got more points than Toronto in 2016)

Your question if any club has gotten as little production out of DP's than us. The answer is yes because see all those teams that finished below us and didn't make playoffs or got bounced in wildcard round.

Portland's 3 DPs were better than ours last year. The rest of their team wasn't.

All that matters is Toronto though. They nailed their DPs. We should too.

I'm with adam adam - he nailed this. Until the Club is willing to show they'll take a hit on a bad decision, I'm skeptical. They even got relief on Diskerud.

Portland's 3 DPs were better than ours last year. The rest of their team wasn't.

All that matters is Toronto though. They nailed their DPs. We should too.

I'm with adam adam - he nailed this. Until the Club is willing to show they'll take a hit on a bad decision, I'm skeptical. They even got relief on Diskerud.

They nailed their DPs and they nailed their big TAM signing in Vazquez who should be a DP.

They nailed their DPs and they nailed their big TAM signing in Vazquez who should be a DP.

Saying Toronto "nailed their DPs" is some major revisionsit history. Yes it worked out this year but both Bradley and Jozy have looked like bad signings for Toronto FC in the past. They didn't win the MLS cup overnight, 2015 was the first year their current DP trio played together and they went 15-15-4 in the regular season with a lot of press about Jozy and Bradley underperforming. A strong case can be made that continuity matters just as much as signings in MLS. Which I guess makes the short term Pirlo and Lampard signings look worse and supports giving Maxi another year to see how he does before we call him an all out bust.

Last edited:
This kid is less hyped than Diego Rossi. It’s not close re: Almiron. As others said, the fee paid tells you as much.
would argue Bradley is a massive waste of money. Could get better for tam money. Same with Jozy.

But Vazquez being a baller and Giovinco being revolutionary covers both those sins.

His goal record according to wikipedia is 17 in 74 apps which seems ok for a young player, I expect quite a few of those appearances were as a sub and he would have been playing when he was 16/17/18 so he has probably improved significantly since then.

Can't seem to find stats anywhere for his goals/assists last season in the Paraguayan league, there are stats for the Copa Sudamerica and Libertadores. He got 2 goals and 2 assists in 14 apps.

According to Transfermarkt he played left wing/left mid every match apart from 1 where he played defensive midfield.

Playing at a similar level(Argentinian league is one of the best in South America so probably similar to playing in the continental competitions) Almiron had 4 goals and 4 assists in 40 apps.

Apparently Copenhagen, Napoli and Udinese were all interested in him but until he plays who knows how good he is. Thats the risk you take getting a young South American DP, there were not any obvious options in Europe we could get who would actually be worthwhile anyway.

His goal record according to wikipedia is 17 in 74 apps which seems ok for a young player, I expect quite a few of those appearances were as a sub and he would have been playing when he was 16/17/18 so he has probably improved significantly since then.

Can't seem to find stats anywhere for his goals/assists last season in the Paraguayan league, there are stats for the Copa Sudamerica and Libertadores. He got 2 goals and 2 assists in 14 apps.

According to Transfermarkt he played left wing/left mid every match apart from 1 where he played defensive midfield.

Playing at a similar level(Argentinian league is one of the best in South America so probably similar to playing in the continental competitions) Almiron had 4 goals and 4 assists in 40 apps.

Apparently Copenhagen, Napoli and Udinese were all interested in him but until he plays who knows how good he is. Thats the risk you take getting a young South American DP, there were not any obvious options in Europe we could get who would actually be worthwhile anyway.
Surprisingly useful post.

(Surprisingly part not a commentary on the poster. Just all of us.)

Reactions: George
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

https://www.esdfanalysis.com/player-analysis/jesus-medina/

Here's a link with more information on Medina originally posted on r/mls.

Some highlights:

He's good at crossing while playing at left wing, which he did primarily.

He has an impressive scoring record for a winger and likes to make runs into the box.

He has a decent long shot.

He gets back defensively.

At the end of October, he had been linked to Genoa (Seria A), Deportivo de la Coruna (La Liga), and Boca Juniors.

Last edited: