Messi To Nycfc After A Stint At Mc

I don't tbink Messi is transcendent in the Prem. Much more physical. Ronaldo could play anywhere.

Messi is out of this world! His type a player wouldn't be great in the Prem? I agree.......... but he's so great he would be the exception and light it up!!! (I'm on Ronaldo side in the Messi v Ronaldo argument btw)

I know what you're saying, but I reckon for all that they might say differently, Messi and Ronaldo both believe that they have transcended the World Cup. It's all about being recognised as the greatest player in history, and they accomplish that far better by beating each others' scoring records in La Liga than they do by winning individual trophies, especially national team trophies where you are beholden to a series of players who share your nationality but are nowhere near your skill level.
Ostrich psychology? if we can't win it, it must not be great or worth it? transcend beyond the world cup...yeah right, I hope that's not what they are actually thinking...i will lose respect if that's their true thoughts. in that regard, I think CR probably has more legit excuses than Messi. CR does not have a great national team, but what's Messi's excuse? not discounting or disrespecting Messi, he is an all time great, one of the top 3 if not the top on the list. But still, win a world cup please. otherwise it is forever an eyesore on his record. Pele did, Maradona did, and Beckenbauer did.

Ostrich psychology? if we can't win it, it must not be great or worth it? transcend beyond the world cup...yeah right, I hope that's not what they are actually thinking...i will lose respect if that's their true thoughts. in that regard, I think CR probably has more legit excuses than Messi. CR does not have a great national team, but what's Messi's excuse? not discounting or disrespecting Messi, he is an all time great, one of the top 3 if not the top on the list. But still, win a world cup please. otherwise it is forever an eyesore on his record. Pele did, Maradona did, and Beckenbauer did.

I think that another part of this is the phenomenon of club honours (specifically the Champions League) becoming ever more important, eventually outstripping national team honours (mainly the World Cup) in prestige. Club football is more and more becoming considered as the primary measure of a player; and I am fully in favour of this transformation.

Even if Messi doesn't win a World Cup with Argentina, that will not be a serious blot on his record. His four (and counting) Champions League wins with Barcelona more than make up for his not having won a World Cup.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Germany and Spain were fantastic teams that were better than Argentina.
Argentina has no excuse not to be better. They turn out A+ talent like the USofA turned out Detroit Cars from 1940-1980.

Reactions: Kjbert
Argentina has no excuse not to be better. They turn out A+ talent like the USofA turned out Detroit Cars from 1940-1980.
This is silly. They have no excuse to have won one of the last 2 World Cups? To other countries that..."turn out A+ talent" such as Germany and Spain????

I get it, he's an amazing talent and hasn't won the greatest trophy in the game, but lets not act like not having won a World Cup in 2 tries while teams such as Germany and Spain have makes him any lesser.

Reactions: FootyLovin
i chuckled at your analogy. Detroit cars have a bad connotation hope that's not what you implied :)
Old Detroit cars ruled. New Detroit is probably what you're referring to?

This is silly. They have no excuse to have won one of the last 2 World Cups? To other countries that..."turn out A+ talent" such as Germany and Spain????

I get it, he's an amazing talent and hasn't won the greatest trophy in the game, but lets not act like not having won a World Cup in 2 tries while teams such as Germany and Spain have makes him any lesser.
Considering the talent that Argentina produces, and they arguably have the best striker in the world, it is mind boggling that they underachieve the way they do. I'm not saying they have to win the Cup every time, but they should be the class of the field every time they lace up, and yet most of the time they look like they're a bunch of guys on a half-dozen different pages that happen to win because they just simply have far superior talent.

Reactions: BxLio91
Considering the talent that Argentina produces, and they arguably have the best striker in the world, it is mind boggling that they underachieve the way they do. I'm not saying they have to win the Cup every time, but they should be the class of the field every time they lace up, and yet most of the time they look like they're a bunch of guys on a half-dozen different pages that happen to win because they just simply have far superior talent.
By underachieving the way that they do, are we talking about winning every group stage game the past two World Cups, losing in the quarter-finals to Germany and losing in the finals to Germany as "underachieving"?

I get it, they have tons of talent, but its not like other countries dont either.

By underachieving the way that they do, are we talking about winning every group stage game the past two World Cups, losing in the quarter-finals to Germany and losing in the finals to Germany as "underachieving"?

I get it, they have tons of talent, but its not like other countries dont either.
I'm looking at the full picture - they haven't been dominating in the WC Qualification rounds and one could easily argue that the Belgium & Dutch games in the last cup were fortunate wins. Sure they advanced, but they didn't do it with panache. But hey, I'm ok if we disagree on this.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Old Detroit cars ruled. New Detroit is probably what you're referring to?
if you say so. I m not familiar with old Detroit cars...not around back then. growing up being fed the notion that only import cars are good and avoid Detroit cars like plague, sorry/sad to say. growing up with Japanese cars and now graduated to German cars...thought that's what American dream is all about: driving German cars and watching Germany win world cup...lol, semi-kidding

BUT COULD HE DO IT ON A HUMID NIGHT IN HOUSTON, KJBERT?

Edit: (If Coutinho can run circles around most of the Premiership, no freaking doubt that Messi can.)

Or a cold night in Stoke :)

He would be out of this world in the Prem. But I don't know if his game translates to a super physical league like England. He would be the best player in England. Hands down. But I don't know that his body isn't shot by Boxing Day or that he is able to score at will. Guys in England get away with a ton. Probably more than they do even in MLS.

Messi was built for Spain, Portugal, Italy, Netherlands...Wes Morgan would crack him in half on a Monday night in Leicester. Or Ryan Shawcross. Or John Terry for that matter.

I'm looking at the full picture - they haven't been dominating in the WC Qualification rounds and one could easily argue that the Belgium & Dutch games in the last cup were fortunate wins. Sure they advanced, but they didn't do it with panache. But hey, I'm ok if we disagree on this.
My main quibble wasn't really around the team itself underachieving, though our argument kinda ended up there, haha.

But ultimately that not winning a World Cup shouldn't be considered a stain on Messi's record if he doesn't get there. Its a lot different than other trophies in that it only happens every 4 years, so at the very most, an individual player only gets 4 shots at it. And add to the fact that there are a ton of other teams that are very deserving of winning it.

Now if he completely underperformed at the World Cup, I get that. But he was awarded the Golden Ball at the last World Cup.

Reactions: Ulrich
O8qZc8V.jpg

Argentina produces top talent. That talent does well linked into other systems. Messi, Tevez Higuan, Aguero can all be considered top attackers in 4 different leagues, that's saying something. At least they make it to the finals, they're 2-3 and two of the losses were against pretty great German teams. Brazil, Germany and Italy were built to win cups when they did...Argentina seems to just think they can throw talent together and win...which they almost just did in 2014.

Argentina produces top talent. That talent does well linked into other systems. Messi, Tevez Higuan, Aguero can all be considered top attackers in 4 different leagues, that's saying something. At least they make it to the finals, they're 2-3 and two of the losses were against pretty great German teams. Brazil, Germany and Italy were built to win cups when they did...Argentina seems to just think they can throw talent together and win...which they almost just did in 2014.
Which is funny actually think about it, lots of Argentina are Italians and Germans offsprings