NYCFC In The Media Thread - 2016

Great Caesars Ghost! Not only an article in the Times, but a non-AP piece with a byline!

New York City F.C. Focuses on Its Defense
By ANDREW DASMARCH 12, 2016
13NYCFC-superJumbo.jpg

The French coach, the Spanish striker, the Italian playmaker and the American goalkeeper all agree on this: New York City F.C. will get better at communication, and defending, and everything else, as the season goes on.

Not that last week’s season opener in Chicago was anything to run from: N.Y.C.F.C. started the season with a victory, which was an improvement on last season’s inaugural game. And the team produced four goals for its new French coach, Patrick Vieira, none of them scored by that Spanish striker, David Villa, or that Italian playmaker, Andrea Pirlo.

The problems were mostly at the other end of the field, where a leaky and makeshift defense surrendered three goals. But Vieira and goalkeeper Josh Saunders assured fans last week that those errors can be fixed.

“It’s a process,” said Saunders, whose four-man back line included three newcomers to the team. “First game, we got a win out of it, away from home, which is very difficult.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/13/s...ity-fc-focuses-on-its-defense.html?ref=soccer

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Nice article in this mornings N.Y. Post. I can't recall ever reading anything by Kyle Schnitzer in the past, but I was getting vibes this guy actually follows the team and knows what he's talking about. Then again, it could also be a case of my hungover brain grasping at straws.

http://nypost.com/2016/03/13/nycfcs-funky-new-formation-only-leads-to-a-draw/

Best Quote ever:
Before kickoff, Yankees Stadium looked oddly empty thanks to the new rules of NYCFC’s father club — the Yankees — which no longer accepts print-at-home tickets. The change meant many fans had trouble getting into the stadium on time.

I don't think it was the print-at-home tickets that was the problem. Wasn't the entire ticket system down for 15 minutes around 420?

I don't think it was the print-at-home tickets that was the problem. Wasn't the entire ticket system down for 15 minutes around 420?

That seems to be the consensus now, although it seemed very confusing at the time. I even heard on NPR this morning that there were issues with the paper tickets.

That seems to be the consensus now, although it seemed very confusing at the time. I even heard on NPR this morning that there were issues with the paper tickets.
I think the fact that the paper tickets needed to be verified before entering certain, specific gates caused the most headaches/confusion. When I got to the stadium around 330, there were a bunch of guys at the main gate yelling about bringing paper tickets to them, and they had these small scanners that presumably looked over the ticket, etc. Not sure what the next step was, but they were probably telling people where to enter next. Maybe they underestimated the number of paper tickets and couldn't keep up with demand? Probably poor communication, too, something we've become accustomed to at the gates.

Was listening to Talk Sport today for hours on SiriusXm FC (had a ten hour drive so this filled about 4-5 hours of it). Callimore speculated that either Lampard or Terry will join Chelsea's staff next season if they hire a coach like Antonio Conte.

They warming a seat up at Sky Sports for Lampard