NYCFC In The Media Thread - 2016

20 years from now mix and Matt [Dunn] will be playing a pickup game in the park. I wonder if they are still friends...?

The Guardian asks: Have NYCFC Finally Learned 'the City way'?
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/mar/18/mls-weekend-previews-new-york-city-fc

("Finally" seems a weird choice of words given how long our team has existed, but whatevs)

If the ‘City way’ is to be drawn from what Man City have been over the past two seasons or so, NYC FC are pretty close to the mark in 2016 – razor sharp in attack, decidedly sluggish at the back. Six goals from their opening two games of the season suggests Vieira’s side have quickly found their attacking groove, but that has been somewhat offset by the five goals they have conceded in the process.​

The Guardian asks: Have NYCFC Finally Learned 'the City way'?
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/mar/18/mls-weekend-previews-new-york-city-fc

("Finally" seems a weird choice of words given how long our team has existed, but whatevs)

If the ‘City way’ is to be drawn from what Man City have been over the past two seasons or so, NYC FC are pretty close to the mark in 2016 – razor sharp in attack, decidedly sluggish at the back. Six goals from their opening two games of the season suggests Vieira’s side have quickly found their attacking groove, but that has been somewhat offset by the five goals they have conceded in the process.​
Yeah, take Kompany out of the lineup and MCFC may have a worse (league-wise) defense than NYCFC - just a better (which is debatable) Keeper.

Yeah, take Kompany out of the lineup and MCFC may have a worse (league-wise) defense than NYCFC - just a better (which is debatable) Keeper.
With Kompany they give up 0.65 goals per game. Without him it's 1.53. Record with 11W-3D-3L, without 8W-3D-8L.

You feel that Joe Hart is only "debatably" better than Saunders?
Compared within each league, yeah. Saunders is not a top keeper in MLS and Hart is not a top keeper in the EPL. Hart may have a great win/loss record, but that's not because he keeps MCFC in games, it's because his field players score a ton. Hart routinely gives up head-scratchers.

Compared within each league, yeah. Saunders is not a top keeper in MLS and Hart is not a top keeper in the EPL. Hart may have a great win/loss record, but that's not because he keeps MCFC in games, it's because his field players score a ton. Hart routinely gives up head-scratchers.
You guys all know that Hart is not just the Man City keeper but he's also the keeper for England, right?

You guys all know that Hart is not just the Man City keeper but he's also the keeper for England, right?
That doesn't mean England has a good keeper. It means he was an English kid that wasn't good with his feet.

Reactions: northernburbs

Think you may have been watching a different Hart. He has his problems with distribution and punching but he's kept mcfc in far more games than he's cost them, especially with his record of impressive instinct saves. David De Gea is the only other keeper in England who can stand up to him, especially as Cech enters the twilight of his career. He's one of the few City players who hasn't really been criticised for their performances tailing off this season.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Way off base on Hart.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Way off base on Hart.

Yeah, comparing league to league, Saunders is not even in the top half of MLS keepers and Hart is easily in the top half of PL keepers (plus is an international starter). Saunders is the MLS equivalent of a replacement player.

Saunders had a good start to last year, but tailed off big time towards the end of the year. Given the expanded role that PV wants the keeper to play (distributor, organizing the break up field) he is a liability.

Way off base on Hart.
No pretty sure he was benched for pantilimon for a few weeks precisely because because he gave up some real bone headed goals.

They guy is good. top 10 keeper in epl, not amazing. Although haven't seen him make bone headed mistakes this year so i'd say his current form is top 5.

"...the best seats in the house are in the right-field bleachers and a boisterous crowd of millennials never stops chanting"

What?
He also said it seemed like there was nobody over 50.

I don't know if I should feel flattered or ignored.

lol at the RB fans comments wanting him to go to harrison.

interesting take, i find it more interesting it was a jersey site though.
Klapisch has covered the Yankees for both the Daily News and Post. I presume he lost his position since both have cut back on veteran sportswriters to save money. He filled a hole (good for him) at that publication because there are lots of Yankee fans in north Jersey. I also bet he took a pay cut but regular work is better than none. And I also laughed at the RB comments. The whole point of the article was that a baseball writer/fan who covers the Yankees went to try something unfamiliar to him at the place he usually covers Yankee baseball.

Last edited:

Lol, I stopped reading after the first paragraph.

Klapisch has covered the Yankees for both the Daily News and Post. I presume he lost his position since both have cut back on veteran sportswriters to save money. He filled a hole (good for him) at that publication because there are lots of Yankee fans in north Jersey. I also bet he took a pay cut but regular work is better than none. And I also laughed at the RB comments. The whole point of the article was that a baseball writer/fan who covers the Yankees went to try something unfamiliar to him at the place he usually covers Yankee baseball.

HEH their just so bitter. One year and three games and we're already so much more relevant than them.

This is actually a really nice article. Not sure where all the shade is coming from. Sure, it's from the perspective of a non-soccer fan, but it's very complimentary of the sport. It talks about how MLS is growing, praises the energetic atmosphere the fans create and said that Tex was wrong when he was worried the sports couldn't co-habitate in the House that Ruth Built. It also stated that the Yankees own 20% of the club, and I'm not sure we had seen that figure posted elsewhere.

And while he said that it seemed there was nobody over 50, this freshly minted 50-year-old didn't take offense (for one thing, I wasn't there).

This is actually a really nice article. Not sure where all the shade is coming from. Sure, it's from the perspective of a non-soccer fan, but it's very complimentary of the sport. It talks about how MLS is growing, praises the energetic atmosphere the fans create and said that Tex was wrong when he was worried the sports couldn't co-habitate in the House that Ruth Built. It also stated that the Yankees own 20% of the club, and I'm not sure we had seen that figure posted elsewhere.

And while he said that it seemed there was nobody over 50, this freshly minted 50-year-old didn't take offense (for one thing, I wasn't there).

I'm happy with the article only shade I've got is for RBNJ fans shitting on him in the comments section for not going to Harrison.