Nycfc Seeks To Claim Jack Harrison As Homegrown

SBI has rewritten the report yet again. And deleted the prior language, which is BS. It's still negative, FWIW.
My issue with SBI is that the guy ALWAYS writes his blog with the notion to hedge his bet every time. He uses terminology that is neither definitive nor accurate because it leaves everything to interpretation and creates an atmosphere to generate click-bait..... If he was actually interested in providing real news and facts, he'd check with all of his "sources" so that the same blog could be posted once rather than needing to be updated twice more within only a few hours.

Reactions: Kjbert
Seems like the SBI article has been updated in the last hour and sources suggest claim has been rejected.

I hope that if MLS did/does reject the Homegrown status, that JH gives them the finger and heads to Europe. Letting this kid play where he wants (his hometown club) is the right thing to do, and if MLS can't see that, then F them.

On reddit it says it's been rejected. I hope he goes abroad to some BS place, we have the discovery rights, and we sign him in the summer. Profit.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
My issue with SBI is that the guy ALWAYS writes his blog with the notion to hedge his bet every time. He uses terminology that is neither definitive nor accurate because it leaves everything to interpretation and creates an atmosphere to generate click-bait..... If he was actually interested in providing real news and facts, he'd check with all of his "sources" so that the same blog could be posted once rather than needing to be updated twice more within only a few hours.
I'm OK with hedging, to a degree. And I'm all in favor of edits and corrections, but I hate it when news outlets of any type rewrite without leaving the original stuff up there.

I hope that if MLS did/does reject the Homegrown status, that JH gives them the finger and heads to Europe. Letting this kid play where he wants (his hometown club) is the right thing to do, and if MLS can't see that, then F them.
My guess is that MLS only considered the homegrown claim to the degree it might have swayed the kid into signing with MLS. It sounded like a weak BS claim, to be fair, and the sort of thing MLS would do: break their own rules in order to let a player get what he wants. Once it started to be clear the kid is going abroad, MLS can reject NYCFC's claim and look like they are upholding their own rules.

I'm OK with hedging, to a degree. And I'm all in favor of edits and corrections, but I hate it when news outlets of any type rewrite without leaving the original stuff up there.
I agree with you to a degree (e.g. no edits without leaving the original stuff), but multiple edits because they have to post something immediately without verifying is a total hack job. It's like the news outlets that call states during elections before all of the ballots are in - being first means nothing if you're wrong and just makes them look like f-tards. SBI really looks like a F-T after this gaffe, but hey, he was the first to post and got a ton of clicks - probably 3 per person that was interested in this subject, so ethics be damned, he's making money.

Does he want to play in England or his home town? He might like it here now. I do.

Not disagreeing but how do we know he wants to actually play here?

Interesting since there are lots of rumors that many of the Generation Adidas targets are declining or wanting to decline to try their luck in Europe, if that isint a clear sign to get rid of this college draft then I don't know what is.

Interesting since there are lots of rumors that many of the Generation Adidas targets are declining or wanting to decline to try their luck in Europe, if that isint a clear sign to get rid of this college draft then I don't know what is.
I'm 110% sure the College Superdraft days are numbered.

Does he want to play in England or his home town? He might like it here now. I do.
I'm sure he's open to both, but at 19, I would make a bet that he'd rather play for his home town team and be near friends & family. England would be the option if MLS doesn't let him have a sure path to NYCFC. And let me add..... Reyna et al would not have gone through the process of HG classification if they weren't pretty damn sure that JH wantd to play for them - I have no insider knowledge of this.

I'm 110% sure the College Superdraft days are numbered.
They have to kill it immediately. The GA contract is a hell of a contract - high salary relative to other rookies & even veterans & full tuition to go back to school - however these kids can get that and more by signing overseas, and it's not far fetched for the GA caliber player to be able to land the euro spot. The problem is that these players want to be able to pick which team they play for, and they have that ability anywhere else in the world except MLS. So if there's one singular reason why a number of the kids this year give MLS the finger, it's because they want control of the club they join.

MLS should just let all college players be treated as undrafted Free Agents (like the NFL does for those not selected in the NFL draft), and give each team one spot each year that they can use to offer GA type money/no cap hit to the player of their choice that signs with them. All other player that sign as UFA still have to fit under the salary cap (or a rookie cap) - this will help to disperse players so LA, or another team, cannot stock up on all of the best youth. If the players like the MLS team's offer then they take it, if they don't they choose from another MLS team or a foreign club.

A prudent kid could say he'd rather take $60K and play in Columbus instead of $70K in LA or NYC - so I don't think that the big clubs will always snag the best talent.

I'm sure he's open to both, but at 19, I would make a bet that he'd rather play for his home town team and be near friends & family. England would be the option if MLS doesn't let him have a sure path to NYCFC. And let me add..... Reyna et al would not have gone through the process of HG classification if they weren't pretty damn sure that JH wantd to play for them - I have no insider knowledge of this.
This sounds confusing. He is from England but has spent all of his teenage years away from his mother, friends and family back in England. If he has any affinity for one place over another he would probably pick the US, MLS and NYCFC.

This sounds confusing. He is from England but has spent all of his teenage years away from his mother, friends and family back in England. If he has any affinity for one place over another he would probably pick the US, MLS and NYCFC.
I think you completely misunderstood my post.

Yes, I know he is from England, and he spent his High School years here, with his mother and friends in the NYC area - correct me if I'm wrong but his mother is in the US and not in England. And my point is that he'd rather play in the US for NYCFC, but IF he can't be assured of that, he'd rather go back to England.

What do you think the reaction would be if he decided to go to Europe. Then gets signed by MCFC and loaned to us? Approximately how many bricks would be shat?
JH would get what he wants which is a foot in the door of a big club with a place to apprentice. If he was loaned, he would definitely have to play, and I'm not sure if he's quite ready this year considering our stacked midfield. Then again, he could stay in Manchester for one year and then get loaned to us. That could be the solution to this damn HG problem.