Nycfc Sign Goalkeeper Josh Saunders

This is interesting:

"Before the inaugural New York City FC season kicking off in March 2015, Saunders will join Manchester City FC for the first part of its pre-season tour in Scotland from July 9th – July 17th, before joining the San Antonio Scorpions of the NASL on loan until the end of the year."

Was just about to post this, I like this signing. Good for the team.

He was impressive in 2011.

Saunders, Meara, and a draft pick like Andrew Wolverton. Me like.

Reactions: Paul
Wow

Do we think he is the starter then? Looking to see where he is now. Any suggestion as to what his salary would be? I am tracking salaries for averages now.

I have to think we still find a young keeper to groom or challenge him. But interesting signing!

Seems like a very capable player in goal, one that can be relied on until something better/younger crops up. Can't say I have much personal recollection of his play in LA though.

This is interesting:

"Before the inaugural New York City FC season kicking off in March 2015, Saunders will join Manchester City FC for the first part of its pre-season tour in Scotland from July 9th – July 17th, before joining the San Antonio Scorpions of the NASL on loan until the end of the year."

Looks like he has already been training with MCFC

10496089_306785742828222_1196777084676931864_o.jpg

GKs actually get better as they age into their 30s. At 33 Saunders is at a ripe age to be a starter

Reactions: Drainyoo
Good question. He was surplus in LA and backup in RSL. I don't think he is the starter.

He wasn't really surplus in LA though. The only reason they sold him is because they signed Cudicini. At real salt lake, I dont think 90 percent of the keepers in MLS can dethrone Rimando. I think he can be a potential starter.

Of course if Kreis thinks he is a starter, he is. But he was brought in only to be backup at RSL and after an injury he was sent backing. As for LA he was usually a weak link in the defense (ask any galaxy fan) and was waived/not resigned before LA ever had a replacement. Hence my surplus comment.

He has also had issues away from the field and had a major injury just a year ago. All red flags to me; it says he isn't the starter.

I'm impressed with NYCFC's moves so far. Seems like they understand how MLS works. Because of salary and roster rules, you need journeymen Americans. Saunders and Brovsky are good pickups.

Happy to have Saunders join the club. Now bring on Meara!!

Didn't take long for some cosmos shithead to comment about his rehab issues on the NYCFC post on twitter.

It is a issue no doubt but I wouldn't talk about it on twitter, way too many ppl would take it out if context. That's not cool. I'm sure Saunders has done what he has to at this point.

Even if its as backup its a tremendous vote of confidence from Kreis to sign someone who's 33 and been in rehab. Must think somewhat highly of the guy. No real surprise from Cosmos fans either considering their "outrage" over Lampard. Guess the novelty of beating Red Bull reserves has worn off. Probably trying to dig up something on Villa plus Brovsky who might as well have a halo over his head from what we have heard about him.

Reactions: Kjbert
Cardboard Cosmos fans are pure 100% U.S. Grade A assholes. I wouldn't give a fat rats ass what they have to say.
Guess they're thinking they have to take their shots now, because Lord knows the team will probably fold sometime in the next year or two.