NYCFC Social Media Thread

barraza went super saiyan

lhszegib9hzx1anaise6.jpg
During the Toronto match as the players were walking over the bench I thought to myself, what the hell did Barraza do?

Would have liked one of these instead of a pennant. Now I have to buy one through grossly overpaying for merch. Hooray. (still - i want one...) Curious of whether it is full size... my guess is it's probably like 8 inches tall. I don't think the MLS cup puts the winning team's name on it like the stanley cup, so you could probably (maybe) just buy a replica MLS cup somewhere online..

and it probably will look like this:

C6Afg75VMAAEX8f.0.jpg

Last edited:
Would have liked one of these instead of a pennant. Now I have to buy one through grossly overpaying for merch. Hooray. (still - i want one...) Curious of whether it is full size... my guess is it's probably like 8 inches tall. I don't think the MLS cup puts the winning team's name on it like the stanley cup, so you could probably (maybe) just buy a replica MLS cup somewhere online..

C6Afg75VMAAEX8f.0.jpg
Imagine paying 150 thinking you're getting a nice replica and then you get... that

C6Afg75VMAAEX8f.0.jpg
And a second thought,

This isn't the first time they've done a shitty sales thing. I mentioned back when they put all the championship stuff on sale how I was irked because they waited until the hardcores bought and then lwoered prices and a bunch of people said it was okay...

But now what about this?
Spend $150 and get the trophy? What about retroactively? I've spent over $150 on merch this season, 100%. If I'd had known this was a thing earlier, maybe I'd have waited and purchased in the team store. I'm sure a lot of people are in this boat too.

It just feels like they're using sleazy sales tactics to get people to spend more than they want/should.

And a second thought,

This isn't the first time they've done a shitty sales thing. I mentioned back when they put all the championship stuff on sale how I was irked because they waited until the hardcores bought and then lwoered prices and a bunch of people said it was okay...

But now what about this?
Spend $150 and get the trophy? What about retroactively? I've spent over $150 on merch this season, 100%. If I'd had known this was a thing earlier, maybe I'd have waited and purchased in the team store. I'm sure a lot of people are in this boat too.

It just feels like they're using sleazy sales tactics to get people to spend more than they want/should.
I'm not sure I would call any of that sleazy. Any sales department anywhere would do that.

Charge higher prices initially because you're going to have to ramp production very quickly and will likely incur additional costs doing so. Additionally, sa large group of people are willing to pay a premium to have those items immediately.

Lower the price later when people aren't willing to pay as much. I'm sure the price on championship related items after this year will drop even further.

When would be the appropriate time for them to do the spend $150 deal? Is the sales department not allowed to do any special promos going forward that could potentially have applied to fans' previous purchases? That seems a bit silly and limiting.

And a second thought,

But now what about this?

Of course they are. But that's with ANY retail business. You can't blame them for using typical retail tactics. As a consumer, you have to know it's coming and spend your money accordingly based on your needs and wants.

I'm not sure I would call any of that sleazy. Any sales department anywhere would do that.

Charge higher prices initially because you're going to have to ramp production very quickly and will likely incur additional costs doing so. Additionally, sa large group of people are willing to pay a premium to have those items immediately.

Lower the price later when people aren't willing to pay as much. I'm sure the price on championship related items after this year will drop even further.

When would be the appropriate time for them to do the spend $150 deal? Is the sales department not allowed to do any special promos going forward that could potentially have applied to fans' previous purchases? That seems a bit silly and limiting.

The first part I understand,. The second is what irks me. Why wasn't this promo already in at the beginning of the season? It's a promo "going forward" meaning there's no end date to this promo. I understand it's regular sales tactics.

I have no problem with them doing special promos in other ways, but for something like this where maybe this should have been sent to season ticket holders first? I'm not a STH but would understand if they got it and then after that the promo was made?

And I understand them doing promos for less. Maybe a $30 promo, or a $50 promo, or a "get butts in seats" promo. But $150? For a miniature cup? That's a ridiculously high minimum.

At the end of the day I understand it's sales tactics and that "all companies do this" but I'm asking more, why? Why do this to the consumer?
thinking of it from the perspective of a lot of fans who are likely making minimum wage, close to minimum wage, or a bit more, $150 could be 8-10 hours of work. I just hate the way these tactics are done.

The first part I understand,. The second is what irks me. Why wasn't this promo already in at the beginning of the season? It's a promo "going forward" meaning there's no end date to this promo. I understand it's regular sales tactics.

I have no problem with them doing special promos in other ways, but for something like this where maybe this should have been sent to season ticket holders first? I'm not a STH but would understand if they got it and then after that the promo was made?

And I understand them doing promos for less. Maybe a $30 promo, or a $50 promo, or a "get butts in seats" promo. But $150? For a miniature cup? That's a ridiculously high minimum.

At the end of the day I understand it's sales tactics and that "all companies do this" but I'm asking more, why? Why do this to the consumer?
thinking of it from the perspective of a lot of fans who are likely making minimum wage, close to minimum wage, or a bit more, $150 could be 8-10 hours of work. I just hate the way these tactics are done.
Maybe they didn't think of doing this until recently? Maybe the cost associated with these replicas is high enough that they can't do it for lower spend amounts from fans?

Should promos only be targeted for those that can't spend as much?

Maybe they didn't think of doing this until recently? Maybe the cost associated with these replicas is high enough that they can't do it for lower spend amounts from fans?

Should promos only be targeted for those that can't spend as much?

I agree with you on the second point. I just did a quick search and when seattle did it, they did a $100 promo. So I guess not uncalled for.
...However, theirs started on opening day. So I'll concede the price part, though I still think it's a bit high.
1651161970599.png

However, if they didn't think of it until now, as opposed to a supply chain issue or cost related issue, then that's just silly. lol

I have no issue with differential pricing, sales, and promotions except in limited circumstances. For example, if a club offered season tickets at a certain price structure and after several weeks realized they overprced, it would IMO be bad to reduce prices and not honor the discount to those who already bought in. I can't articulate a clearly principled reason, but probably something to do with the fact that the early buyers didn't get the advantage of actually having things in hand earlier, and also it's just a bad way to start what the club hopes will be a long term annual subscription. Otherwise this is just how sales work.

I agree with you on the second point. I just did a quick search and when seattle did it, they did a $100 promo. So I guess not uncalled for.
...However, theirs started on opening day. So I'll concede the price part, though I still think it's a bit high.
View attachment 12021

However, if they didn't think of it until now, as opposed to a supply chain issue or cost related issue, then that's just silly. lol

at least seattle advertises it as a MINI replica :)