NYCFC Speaker Series - 2018

The better better question to ask is why would they?
MLS is competing to gain fans from two different bases: the soccer fan that the big time leagues and traditional American sports fans. Both groups are used to player salaries and transacational details being public. The cloak and dagger shit turns people off.

For sure it would add enjoyment to following the club and the league as a whole. I like to see how teams maneuver around a cap in football, hockey and basketball. I like predicting the moves the teams will be forced to make because of the cap and who may become available. It adds so much more depth to the offseason and makes following the club more of a year round experience.

You even state it will make the offseason more interesting, how does that not increase enjoyment? I assume you don’t follow the club to bore you. Then again, with all the stadium & injury news we hear from them...

It's soccer. Too many players around he world. We have a 20% chance of even getting the continent right when guessing our next player

It's soccer. Too many players around he world. We have a 20% chance of even getting the continent right when guessing our next player

I’m talking about MLS players. If we know a player is on a $200k cap + $700k GAM deal p/a with a year remaining, and the club has $200k in cap space and only $300k in GAM available the next year, we can predict he will be moved or another player will be to clear space. It’s a fun game to play.

We’d also know how much cap, GAM, TAM and nTAM is still available right now when looking at foreign players like let’s say Torres and if he’s even possible on a TAM contract. Maybe we don’t have the funds now? It adds to the conversation.

I’d also like to see all the podcasters stumble over the rules and math. They can’t even get the CCL rules or what’s allowed at WP correct. But that’s the sadist in me.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
MLS is competing to gain fans from two different bases: the soccer fan that the big time leagues and traditional American sports fans. Both groups are used to player salaries and transacational details being public. The cloak and dagger shit turns people off.

It definitely does turn people off, but the causal argument is pretty cart before horse—nobody studies financials and roster regs before becoming a fan of a league. Plus we've got to look at both sides here: Which do you think MLS is more concerned about, indulging us diehards who entertain ourselves in the offseason with TAM spreadsheets or ensuring they can do things like land Zlatan and keep Cyle Larin from unraveling the league's low-cost labor structure? Because neither of those would be possible if MLS prioritized the predictable, above-board application of its rules.

It definitely does turn people off, but the causal argument is pretty cart before horse—nobody studies financials and roster regs before becoming a fan of a league. Plus we've got to look at both sides here: Which do you think MLS is more concerned about, indulging us diehards who entertain ourselves in the offseason with TAM spreadsheets or ensuring they can do things like land Zlatan and keep Cyle Larin from unraveling the league's low-cost labor structure? Because neither of those would be possible if MLS prioritized the predictable, above-board application of its rules.

You’re probably correct. But let’s put the Don on the spot and ask him to say that out loud.

“Kudos to publicizing the amount allocation money used in trades, fans really enjoy it. Are there plans to make salaries, the cap, and available allocation money more transparent? And if not, why?”

League is getting in a healthier, better spot. They can at least follow their own rules.