Nycfc Supporter Relations

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
While I don't want to feed into trolls from other clubs and their games I have felt this for quite some time.
OCFC or whatever they are tweeted a picture of kaka at airport surrounded and Frank alone today.
Why do you guys think the club doesn't want fans at events and welcoming players?
It's not that we don't want to be there. I got tipped off about the event today and mass emailed and promoted it but the club genuinely wanted it to be reserved for media and a few TR guys.
To me it's not the best move. What better way to generate excitement and get your supporters amped up than to call them out to a big unveiling?! A couple of the people on here that turned up after I posted here and emailed even took off work.
What are your guys thoughts?

Reactions: MagnusPax
Yeah I know but this isn't about them. Just looking for everyone's thoughts on why the club has decided to stay so sheltered.

I hate that acknowledging it helps validate the haters, but I have to post it just so everyone knows what we're talking about. it's just petty.

https://twitter.com/OrlandoCitySC/status/492375670400765952
BtVFEAcCEAAQA5o.jpg

Mickey Mouse club with a Mickey Mouse Mentality. Look at how professional NYCFC have been in every respect (even if they continue this odd trend of "announcements" everybody guesses beforehand) and compare it to these clowns. Must be hard for them knowing that their entry to MLS has been completely overshadowed. Lampard was welcomed by a fan presence that didn't need to suffocate and leap on the guy to be noticed.

You can see why MLS make stronger overtures to the PROFESSIONAL management behind NYCFC.

The thing is that the CFG like "the big reveal" - it's their modus operandi for press relations. They are all about high-impact. Seeing a few hundred or even thousand fans flock to greet a new arrival may turn a fair few heads and create a real buzz but it destroys the twitter frenzy that would otherwise occur when the big curtain is pulled back.

Like it or hate it, it's just the way they are.

Reactions: Scott McCarthy
Maybe New York fans are a little too sophisticated to get all weak kneed over things like this.

Personally I can't think of any particular athlete from any sport arriving in town that would have fans flocking out to JFK squealing like a bunch of school girls.

not like theres anything else to do in orlando....should we go to disney/universal?? or the airport???

Yeah I know but this isn't about them. Just looking for everyone's thoughts on why the club has decided to stay so sheltered.

Most sports teams are, though. When new players are signed, it's usually just a media event. My guess is that they're following the Yankees play book here. I also think the Kaka situation was unique. Doubt OC will be doing that all the time. Let them have their fun. We'll see who's celebrating come December 2015.

While I don't want to feed into trolls from other clubs and their games I have felt this for quite some time.
OCFC or whatever they are tweeted a picture of kaka at airport surrounded and Frank alone today.
Why do you guys think the club doesn't want fans at events and welcoming players?
It's not that we don't want to be there. I got tipped off about the event today and mass emailed and promoted it but the club genuinely wanted it to be reserved for media and a few TR guys.
To me it's not the best move. What better way to generate excitement and get your supporters amped up than to call them out to a big unveiling?! A couple of the people on here that turned up after I posted here and emailed even took off work.
What are your guys thoughts?
I absolutely agree with this. NYCFC is making a terrible mistake if they are purposely trying to limit excitement and supporter involvement. I know its hard, but seriously, those videos and photos of Orlando welcoming Kaka and the MLS expansion announcement were awesome. How can NYCFC or fans not want that for NYC?

Maybe New York fans are a little too sophisticated to get all weak kneed over things like this.

Personally I can't think of any particular athlete from any sport arriving in town that would have fans flocking out to JFK squealing like a bunch of school girls.

I agree. Also, do you really want to appeal to the type of person who is going to get so excited about a team that isn't even going to start playing for nine months? Seriously, what kind of person gets so excited about a team that isn't even going to start playing for nine months?

That kind of person is so lame.

Yours truly,

Fred Mertz (Third Rail member, season ticket holder, spender of 3-4 hours each of the last three days agonizing over my seat selection, searcher for a graphic image of one of Frank Lampard's children's books for my avatar and regular reader/poster to this site).

Most sports teams are, though. When new players are signed, it's usually just a media event. My guess is that they're following the Yankees play book here. I also think the Kaka situation was unique. Doubt OC will be doing that all the time. Let them have their fun. We'll see who's celebrating come December 2015.

It's Orlando, it's the first major sports name they have had in town since Shaq went out west. Let them have their 15 seconds...."Orlando We Crap Ourselves over Kaka"

Reactions: Gene
Of course this is not their first big crowd event. Has NYCFC ever had a large fan gathering for anything?

Stop being naive.

Has any sports team in NYC ever had a gathering like that?...........I mean of course other than the ticker tape parades down Broadway after a championship has been won.

I'm sincerely not trying to bust balls, but while that sort of thing may be huge elsewhere in the country I don't think it flies here in New York. If LeBron James signed with the Knicks instead of Cleveland he wouldn't get that sort of reaction out at JFK.

Has any sports team in NYC ever had a gathering like that?...........I mean of course other than the ticker tape parades down Broadway after a championship has been won.

I'm sincerely not trying to bust balls, but while that sort of thing may be huge elsewhere in the country I don't think it flies here in New York. If LeBron James signed with the Knicks instead of Cleveland he wouldn't get that sort of reaction out at JFK.
He wouldn't?

NY isn't like that. We'll bring the hype in the stadium. We don't need to have a wank for an incoming player in an airport.

Reactions: jerseyhotspur
If you think about it we have signed 2 huge names (Villa, Lampard) and have been linked to Xavi and Gilardino among others. They signed Kaka....thats it so they have to make it a huge deal in order to keep the interest. I think NY is confident in the fan base. Plus we all know the yankees mentality.... if you want to see the players buy a ticket and come to the game which leads to spending another $20 on beer haha

NY isn't like that. We'll bring the hype in the stadium. We don't need to have a wank for an incoming player in an airport.
Dear lord, I hope you are right. But I am pretty sure you are not.

PS I have never used the word wank in my life. Do you use it often?