Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Saunders

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • Mix

Votes: 29 23.6%
  • Matarrita

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
A couple of thoughts that have already been somewhat mentioned, but I think are worth reinforcing:

Brillant had some struggles today, but I also thought he made some great plays. I really hope he doesn't continue to play like today, and truly believe he'll improve. Watching him today reminded me a bit of Mena's first performance last year. There was clearly talent on the field, but made some really stupid mistakes. I think Mena and Brillant, when healthy, are our 2 CBs.

Matarrita impressed me with his talent, but I really wasn't sure about his positioning. Very often he was way up the field and a few times I noticed he was unable to track back on a counter. Additionally, late in the game, it seemed he wasn't playing LB at all anymore. I noticed at one point he had possession of the ball on Chicago's side of the field, in the middle of the field. Now, I'm not sure if this was a tactical change by PV after bringing on both Lopez and Bravo, but he seemed to be pushing really high up the field.

One other thought that I wanted to save for a separate post....I think we are going to see some very creative set pieces from PV. I remember seeing one in preseason that had Villa rocket a shot off the crossbar as he made himself open. That reminded me of a basketball play with a guy coming off multiple screens to take an open 3.

Yesterday there was a set piece where Pirlo sent the ball to the top of the box, and then there was a flick over the top to someone making the run (I can't quite remember the other players involved). Ultimately, the flick just wasn't high enough to get over the defender, but had it been a bit higher, the player making the run would have had a fantastic change on goal.

I really like seeing some of the creativity PV is bringing on these set pieces to keep defenses and GKs on guard. It was also nice seeing Pirlo put a free kick on target. The combination of Pirlo getting the MLS ball down and this other creativity I'm sure will lead to a few free kick goals this year.

Any trip reports from folks who made trip? It looked like a great showing on television, and the players and coach seemed to be impressed with the away support (I know they are prompted during interviews, but it still seemed genuine). Thanks for representing.

Any trip reports from folks who made trip? It looked like a great showing on television, and the players and coach seemed to be impressed with the away support (I know they are prompted during interviews, but it still seemed genuine). Thanks for representing.

I wasn't with our supporters but was definitely a great time. Toyota Park is a nice venue, even if it's a bit of a pain in the ass to get to. Definitely could hear our supporters pretty well throughout, and the atmosphere was solid, even if there were a decent amount of empty seats.

Best part was actually the trip back. Wearing my jersey coming from a few victory drinks and at my gate was the entire team. Stood there for a second trying to keep my cool but then Saunders came up to me when they called us to board and said "Let's let the man in the jersey go first." Talked with him through waiting to board, said his arm was gashed on that last chance, which is why he was down for a while but he's fine. Couldn't have been a nicer guy.

I'm seated at the front and sit there as the entire team boards. Bunch of the guys gave me a head nod or wave as they walked by, Villa said thank you as he walked by. After we landed I did wait and shook Pirlo's hand, stopped and spoke to Poku, who I showed I was wearing his kit, and spoke to Viera for a minute and told him how happy we are to have him there and what a great start it was. Shook Mix's hand too, gave him props for the goal.

Just an unreal cap to a great day.

I wasn't with our supporters but was definitely a great time. Toyota Park is a nice venue, even if it's a bit of a pain in the ass to get to. Definitely could hear our supporters pretty well throughout, and the atmosphere was solid, even if there were a decent amount of empty seats.

Best part was actually the trip back. Wearing my jersey coming from a few victory drinks and at my gate was the entire team. Stood there for a second trying to keep my cool but then Saunders came up to me when they called us to board and said "Let's let the man in the jersey go first." Talked with him through waiting to board, said his arm was gashed on that last chance, which is why he was down for a while but he's fine. Couldn't have been a nicer guy.

I'm seated at the front and sit there as the entire team boards. Bunch of the guys gave me a head nod or wave as they walked by, Villa said thank you as he walked by. After we landed I did wait and shook Pirlo's hand, stopped and spoke to Poku, who I showed I was wearing his kit, and spoke to Viera for a minute and told him how happy we are to have him there and what a great start it was. Shook Mix's hand too, gave him props for the goal.

That's just awesome.

Reactions: Kjbert

Very cool recap, it sounds like an unforgettable trip!

Speaking of Pirlo taking a more active role, in the second half after a few more defensive snafus, I noticed Pirlo in the background of a shot gesturing wildly to Saunders in a way that I read to mean he wanted Saunders to tell his defense to stay more compact. Point being, I hope he'll continue to be vocal and proactive about problems he sees on the field, acting almost as a captain even if he's not wearing the armband. His experience and insight is incredibly valuable.

I cant hit "like" enough times for this. So awesome.

Best post ever!

How much alcohol was being consumed by the team? And was Pirlo drinking the little bottles of Red or slumming it with singles of spirits?

Matarrita impressed me with his talent, but I really wasn't sure about his positioning. Very often he was way up the field and a few times I noticed he was unable to track back on a counter. Additionally, late in the game, it seemed he wasn't playing LB at all anymore. I noticed at one point he had possession of the ball on Chicago's side of the field, in the middle of the field. Now, I'm not sure if this was a tactical change by PV after bringing on both Lopez and Bravo, but he seemed to be pushing really high up the field.

I noticed that too, and I think PV's method of getting more defensive is to actually move Matarrita to midfield and tell the other fullback (in this case White) to 100% stay home. In other words, the switch from a 4-3-3 to a 3-4-3 can be an attacking switch, or it can be a defensive switch by playing it more like a 5-2-3. Or really, because he took out the wingers, it was like a 5-4-1 at the end of the Chicago game.

In short, I'm not ready to criticize Matarrita's positioning yet, because I'm not sure we completely understand where he's supposed to be yet.

I noticed that too, and I think PV's method of getting more defensive is to actually move Matarrita to midfield and tell the other fullback (in this case White) to 100% stay home. In other words, the switch from a 4-3-3 to a 3-4-3 can be an attacking switch, or it can be a defensive switch by playing it more like a 5-2-3. Or really, because he took out the wingers, it was like a 5-4-1 at the end of the Chicago game.

In short, I'm not ready to criticize Matarrita's positioning yet, because I'm not sure we completely understand where he's supposed to be yet.
We'd all be singing his praises for positioning if Villa had scored after Mata stole the ball in the Chi side and fed Villa 1v1.

Yeah, thats kinda where I was with it. I didn't mean to come across as critical of Matarrita's positioning, but considering his position is "LB" I thought it odd where he was playing quite often.

Its quite likely he was positioned where PV wanted him. I think these are things we will get a better understanding of ourselves as fans, the more the season goes on.