Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Saunders

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • Mix

Votes: 29 23.6%
  • Matarrita

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
It's been nearly 24 hours since kick-off and not one person has commented on the dapper and professional attire of Vieira? The guy was rocking a Spread Collar, V-neck sweater, and Suit. Pure class.

How much alcohol was being consumed by the team? And was Pirlo drinking the little bottles of Red or slumming it with singles of spirits?

Nobody appeared to be drinking. Guys looked pretty tired to be honest. Some just had their headphones on and kept their heads down. Couldn't believe they fly commercial, and sit coach to be honest, so probably don't want to booze it up with the public.

Reactions: Kjbert
Nobody appeared to be drinking. Guys looked pretty tired to be honest. Some just had their headphones on and kept their heads down. Couldn't believe they fly commercial, and sit coach to be honest, so probably don't want to booze it up with the public.
It's defined in the league rules. DP's can fly 1st class but on their dime. Each team can charter a few flights a year. otherwise it's all coach class.

I wasn't with our supporters but was definitely a great time. Toyota Park is a nice venue, even if it's a bit of a pain in the ass to get to. Definitely could hear our supporters pretty well throughout, and the atmosphere was solid, even if there were a decent amount of empty seats.

Best part was actually the trip back. Wearing my jersey coming from a few victory drinks and at my gate was the entire team. Stood there for a second trying to keep my cool but then Saunders came up to me when they called us to board and said "Let's let the man in the jersey go first." Talked with him through waiting to board, said his arm was gashed on that last chance, which is why he was down for a while but he's fine. Couldn't have been a nicer guy.

I'm seated at the front and sit there as the entire team boards. Bunch of the guys gave me a head nod or wave as they walked by, Villa said thank you as he walked by. After we landed I did wait and shook Pirlo's hand, stopped and spoke to Poku, who I showed I was wearing his kit, and spoke to Viera for a minute and told him how happy we are to have him there and what a great start it was. Shook Mix's hand too, gave him props for the goal.

Just an unreal cap to a great day.

What airline was this on?

Why wouldn't they allow non-DPs to fly first class on their own dime???? That seems odd.
Everybody knows the DP's are special in the MLS hierarchy so its reasonably understood they get extra privileges. If everybody else bought 1st class except for the $50-60K players (whom cannot afford it), then that would really be morale-boosting. I'm pretty sure the NYCFC DP's have all decided against flying 1st class so that they don't rock the boat.

I noticed that too, and I think PV's method of getting more defensive is to actually move Matarrita to midfield and tell the other fullback (in this case White) to 100% stay home. In other words, the switch from a 4-3-3 to a 3-4-3 can be an attacking switch, or it can be a defensive switch by playing it more like a 5-2-3. Or really, because he took out the wingers, it was like a 5-4-1 at the end of the Chicago game.

In short, I'm not ready to criticize Matarrita's positioning yet, because I'm not sure we completely understand where he's supposed to be yet.
Definitely to add to this point when they were subbing in Mikey for TT he was giving hand signals about what the new formation was. It was very small and I didn't notice it at first you could definitely tell he was relay instructions for PV about how to switch. I think he was signaling that they were switching from a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2 which makes sense. If anyone want to find that moment and over analyze it I'd be happy to watch it again

I'm a bit late to the party, but here are a few thoughts that are, perhaps, additive to the dialogue.

(1) I was sitting around where our defensive line was during the first half on the side with the benches, and Vieira was constantly up talking to them, including calling Brillant and Hernandez over a couple of time. For those who were frustrated by Kreis's lack of visible in game coaching, it was markedly different. Time will tell whether it matters, though they did seem to tighten up as the game went on after a brutal start.

(2) Khiry running over/by Brandon Vincent for the third goal was impressive. That was a matchup I was very curious about beforehand and had featured in my preview. Khiry is going to frustrate from time to time, but if he creates goals like that every couple of games and does his defensive work, that is a very useful player on a team that got very little from the wings last year. I think he won the matchup against Vincent, who wasn't overly impressive.

(3) Not a lot of atmosphere from the Chicago fans. SSS are awesome and I want one, but this was probably the least impressive experience I've had around the league (excl. RFK, which cannot be beaten).

(4) I fear for watching Giovinco sit on the shoulder of the last defender on Sunday. We won't be as bad as we were yesterday because we'll either get better or he will ultimately change the system, but it rather not be staring at having to figure it out quite so quickly.

(5) If Ethan White plays at RB again this week, I'd have him play more conservatively. Seemed like he was sort of caught in between yesterday.

(6) Bravo played a pass late in the game through some traffic that was not particularly notable, but was another indicator that he has a real role to play because it was assured and technically proficient in a way that many of our guys aren't.

It's been nearly 24 hours since kick-off and not one person has commented on the dapper and professional attire of Vieira? The guy was rocking a Spread Collar, V-neck sweater, and Suit. Pure class.
It's not so much that he was wearing a suit jacket but more that the lining was sky blue. You'd see flashes of it when he made big gestures, for example. Kind of like a "we are a team" sort of thing. Really liked it.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
(4) I fear for watching Giovinco sit on the shoulder of the last defender on Sunday. We won't be as bad as we were yesterday because we'll either get better or he will ultimately change the system, but it rather not be staring at having to figure it out quite so quickly.

On one hand I'm nervous because Giovinco will finish those chances that Acccam flubbed. On the other hand I'm hopeful that a combination of improved play and our short field helps protect us a bit more this week. Toyota Part is 75x120. We are supposedly at the minimum of 70x110 but many have said the YS field is even smaller. 5+ yards of missing space between the midfield line and the gaol should help a bit on those balls over the top.

On one hand I'm nervous because Giovinco will finish those chances that Acccam flubbed. On the other hand I'm hopeful that a combination of improved play and our short field helps protect us a bit more this week. Toyota Part is 75x120. We are supposedly at the minimum of 70x110 but many have said the YS field is even smaller. 5+ yards of missing space between the midfield line and the gaol should help a bit on those balls over the top.
I agree on the short field and have been taking some comfort in that. I haven't validated this, but it did seem like Saunders was much more aggressive coming off his line yesterday and that it was largely (though not entirely) effective. And if EJ plays due to injury, then I think we expect even more of that. Hopefully we can really squeeze the field.

I don't think our D is going to turn it around in time for Toronto. We'll probably just have to outscore them, too. At this point I'd be game to just try Bravo next to Brillant. I think we'd get a lot more use out of him at CB than our crowded midfield, although it seems like Vieira likes him and Lopez to come on once he goes for the "3-4-3" switch. Versatility is great, but our starting center-backs need to be the priority. How did we go out all offseason knowing we needed CBs the most, end up with "meh," and RB just casually pick up Baah to replace Miazga, who by all accounts sounds like real quality? I hope we didn't just waste loads of time chasing Teixeira and scramble towards the end. Either way, we ended up signing 2 leftbacks, 2 rightbacks (if you count White), and 1 centerback?

Hopefully Villa puts his boots on the right feet this time, we're gonna need him.

Last edited:
I agree on the short field and have been taking some comfort in that. I haven't validated this, but it did seem like Saunders was much more aggressive coming off his line yesterday and that it was largely (though not entirely) effective. And if EJ plays due to injury, then I think we expect even more of that. Hopefully we can really squeeze the field.
If Lurch plays, then we can run a high line literally up to midfield since EJ has the range to sweep everything behind it.... he probably only has to take 4-5 strides to cover the distance if positioned towards the top of the box.

Last edited: