Puerto Rico V Nycfc - Post-match

Some thoughts:

RJ Allen looked like a man trying to earn a spot. No vacations for RJ. I am rooting for him to be a useful player this season.

Villa looked so much more comfortable in this alignment. With the right partner(s) up front, he's going to score bushels.

I hope PV can find the right position for Poku because I have no idea where the perfect spot is for him.

Pirlo looked precise. Having more men up will give him more receivers to throw to.

Shelton showed how we need speed and width (not necessarily from him though TBD).

With the players we have, and an alignment we likely will play, I'm afraid that finding the right CB will be crucial. That showed last night against even a weak team.

Even though the second half play was a dud, Mix at least looked much more comfy than on RW.

Filling the rest of the roster with the right players and using the remaining funds wisely is going to be crucial.

The game was pretty ugly (very friendly-esque) but it was fun to get a taste.

Yes they did:

However, the stream was VERY patchy, especially in the second half, and I'd estimate that the stream died on (I'm not exaggerating) two or three dozen occasions. For that reason, there are lots of bits cut out in short bursts on that link, and you'll notice that both of the last two goals were pretty much missed (although there are a few replays to watch)

Thanks

I thought RJ looked great at LB. On the own goal he actually crossed it in with his left foot where as last year he would often use his right.

Reactions: Paul and JayH
There's literally nothing useful you can gauge from tonight's game. It was a sales trip against journeymen. That said, I'm glad 433 was given a go. Let's see how these guys do in a couple of months when they've got something to play for.
Agree. If last night was April 11th I'd be concerned, but given the circumstances I'm just glad nobody tore a quad muscle.
Iraola looked better.

Shelton needs to work on his finishing, but showed his potential.

I'll agree with this too. Shelton kind of disappeared in the second half, but once again given the circumstances, just the fact he was getting into position was a big plus imho. Improve on the finishing part of the game and we just may have something here.

And for lack of a better phrase, I thought Iraola look "fluid" (?) out there last night and a lot more comfortable on the field.

CV_hJvBW4AAcxss.jpg:large

Best post ever!

Last edited:
YES network is showing a replay right now if anyone is interested.

We have to remember it was basically a training exercise as though we stayed at Yankee Stadium and played against whatever staff were working that day.

There was no real effort or enthusiasm (except RJ) and this isn't a huge surprise given many of those players haven't played in weeks, we played with no center backs, we have no manager and a bunch of players left without being replaced.

I am biased but I thought Tommy was a buzzbomb in that second half (relatively speaking). I was shouting at the TV for guys to pick up the ball again if they lost it, or close players down, but the meaningless of this game was very apparent. No one was putting in a challenge, even Tommy, but he was at least running around.

I'd say RJ did well, a few of the younger players didn't play themselves in to contention and that is what happens when you play Poku for 90 minutes.

Overall i'm glad to have had the chance to watch the team again and don't care too much about the result, although if Poku hadn't scored that OG match would have gone down in history.

Reactions: Paul and Gene
My man of the match was Khiry Shelton. Created opportunities. Didn't finish opportunities but he could have had two goals and two assists. He needs to finish his chances but he COULD be Gyasi Zardes. He's a Forward. He needs to play advanced and be given the opportunity to run at players.

Poku was Poku. I see that PV wants to play him as a CM, similar to how Toure is used. I thought he played well in possession in that role. He linked well with the wide players and his other CMs. I thought he played terrific as a CAM. He needs to play more advanced.

Pirlo played very well out of the back. I like him there.

Lampard, unsurprisingly, played well as a CM. question will be whether he can play that number 8 role for 90 minutes. I feel that Mix is more of a caddy for Lampard than Pirlo right now.

I liked none of the CBs. I think Jacobsen has the traits to be a CB. But he was dumb last night. Dumb.

Wingert playing LB was embarrassing. The attack was with overlapping fullbacks. He didn't have the pace to catch up to simple passes. He's shot as a Lb. He can't play there in this league or on this team.

I thought Villa played ok. Not great. He missed two or three obvious through balls to Shelton and Lampard. He needs to be more unselfish this year. There is now talent around him.

Saunders played very well. He wasn't asked to distribute much and that helped. Kept us in the game.

McNamara to me was awful. Appreciate his effort but he has no clue out there. His head js always down - he holds up play when we're on the attack - he makes poor decisions - and he bungles chances. He can't be a starter for us. Can't.

I thought Iraola played very well going forward and mediocre defensively. He linked up great with Shelton though who provided defensive cover for Iraola's overlapping run. If I'm PV, that's the right side of my line-up the entire year.

Mix was dissapointing. Ballouchy played ok. He is what he is and he provides good depth. I like Johannsen in goal. Big keeper and good distributor. Wanted to see Brandt get a run. Mullins did nothing for me last night.

Shelton - Why did you disappear after your second miss? You were doing great, getting in the right places. Then you got discouraged and gave up.

Mullins - Dummy move on the goal was terrific. Got in good spots to get shots on goal. Keep working to convert.

RJ - Hell of a showing. Played well on both sides. Great crosses. Should have had at least 1 assist.

Mix - Not much to say. Played with the b-squad who were mostly already coasting. A couple of good balls forward, but not much to tell.

Hurtado - We'll always remember our walk with you on the beach at sunset.

Reactions: Paul and JayH
Something has to be said about the value of traveling with team and families on a trip like this. Bond, friendship and chemistry are so valuable and with a new team last year with so many changes throughout the season and little continuity, we likely were missing that. The team was also really gracious by extending the opportunity to travel to employees at all levels as well. Good stuff.

We are incredibly fortunate if RJ can play LB. Having RJ and Andoni on the field at the same time is crucial offensively and defensively. I think if you play the empty bucket (4-2-2-2), you can play Mix to Pirlo's right and have him cover Iraola defensively. I don't think it's ideal, but finding a spot for him on the field is still a big problem.

That said, we're still obviously playing our best when we're playing wide open. We should be countering fast every chance we get. Villa is great at recognizing those poaching runs to get behind (though his tendency to be offisde is problematic), and if he can get a ball out front, Poku, Mix and Shelton all should be crashing forward with him. That allows Frank to save what's in his take to make his late run to the top of the 18, and allow Pirlo to hang 25yds from goal for a drop off or reset. I think Tommy is an MLS player, but not a starter. Good with the ball at his feet, but don't ask him to do too much or else we're in trouble.

Reactions: Kjbert and Paul
Something has to be said about the value of traveling with team and families on a trip like this. Bond, friendship and chemistry are so valuable and with a new team last year with so many changes throughout the season and little continuity, we likely were missing that. The team was also really gracious by extending the opportunity to travel to employees at all levels as well. Good stuff.
Not all employees. Announcers were on a green screen back in NY. ;)

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
We are incredibly fortunate if RJ can play LB. Having RJ and Andoni on the field at the same time is crucial offensively and defensively. I think if you play the empty bucket (4-2-2-2), you can play Mix to Pirlo's right and have him cover Iraola defensively. I don't think it's ideal, but finding a spot for him on the field is still a big problem.

That said, we're still obviously playing our best when we're playing wide open. We should be countering fast every chance we get. Villa is great at recognizing those poaching runs to get behind (though his tendency to be offisde is problematic), and if he can get a ball out front, Poku, Mix and Shelton all should be crashing forward with him. That allows Frank to save what's in his take to make his late run to the top of the 18, and allow Pirlo to hang 25yds from goal for a drop off or reset. I think Tommy is an MLS player, but not a starter. Good with the ball at his feet, but don't ask him to do too much or else we're in trouble.
Mix plays where Poku started. Poku up to Shelton. Villa to TMac. 2 new CBs. And either Mullins or a new CF to where Villa started.

I really liked the way Poku Lampard and Pirlo interchanged and switched spaces. Put Mix in that line with Poku up top on the right and good things will happen. It's still not Mix in a central role but in a 4-3-3 we will see him do more of what really creates value for the team.

4-3-1-2 with Villa and Shelton up top. Poku supporting them and linking to our big 3 of Frank, Pirlo and Mix.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
4-3-1-2 with Villa and Shelton up top. Poku supporting them and linking to our big 3 of Frank, Pirlo and Mix.
I am a little concerned if we are having Frank going box to box. I think he could do a good job but I don't think he can go more than a half. Maybe it makes more sense for him to switch with Poku in that formation.