Redbulls Postgame

Here's some statistical analysis I pulled/compiled from whoscored:

Dax and Felipe really ran the show for NJRB in their double pivot roles and we had no answer for them.
Dax: 82 touches (game high; #1 for us was Facey with 63!); 83% passing (66 passes; 2nd most in the game); dispossessed 0 times; 4 tackles and 8 interceptions; committed 0 fouls
Felipe: 77 touches (2nd highest in the game); 88% passing (67 passes - game high; #1 for us was Facey/Pirlo with 45 each); dispossessed just 1 time; 4 shots, 1 goal, 1 key pass

Miazga also had a great game and this kid has really taken the league by storm -- very bright future. He had 5 tackles, 2 interceptions, 8 clearances and 2 blocked shots. Lade added 8 interceptions of his own.

As a team, NJRB had 28 crosses with 10 accurate; 54 long balls (Robles had 14 of those) with 22 accurate; 5 through balls with 3 accurate. On the other hand, NYCFC had 24 crosses with 7 accurate; 57 long balls (Saunders had 17 of those) with 30! of those accurate, and exactly 0 through balls attempted.

Some other items that stood out to me:
Villa was dispossessed 5 times.
Lampard was dispossessed 4 times.
Pirlo was fouled 4 times.
NYCFC created a high number of key passes (14) many of which should have been finished and converted to assists: 4 key passes for Villa, 3 for McNamara, 3 for Pirlo, 2 for Lampard, 1 for Mix and 1 for Angelino.

Biggest issue for me is that no one in midfield (besides Mix) plays any defense. We don't get much from Pirlo or Lampard defensively (and that's not too surprising) but Jacobson was absolutely worthless. 100% of the defensive pressure is put on the back 4 and they did what they could:

Player - Tackles/Interceptions/Clearances
Facey - 4/4/9
Angelino - 3/3/6
Iraola - 5/1/4
Mena - 3/2/1
Jacobson - 0/1/0
Mix - 2/2/0
Lampard - 1/2/1
Pirlo - 0/2/0

Very bad news that our 2 Man City loanees are the best defensive players we have.

Here's some statistical analysis I pulled/compiled from whoscored:

Dax and Felipe really ran the show for NJRB in their double pivot roles and we had no answer for them.
Dax: 82 touches (game high; #1 for us was Facey with 63!); 83% passing (66 passes; 2nd most in the game); dispossessed 0 times; 4 tackles and 8 interceptions; committed 0 fouls
Felipe: 77 touches (2nd highest in the game); 88% passing (67 passes - game high; #1 for us was Facey/Pirlo with 45 each); dispossessed just 1 time; 4 shots, 1 goal, 1 key pass

Miazga also had a great game and this kid has really taken the league by storm -- very bright future. He had 5 tackles, 2 interceptions, 8 clearances and 2 blocked shots. Lade added 8 interceptions of his own.

As a team, NJRB had 28 crosses with 10 accurate; 54 long balls (Robles had 14 of those) with 22 accurate; 5 through balls with 3 accurate. On the other hand, NYCFC had 24 crosses with 7 accurate; 57 long balls (Saunders had 17 of those) with 30! of those accurate, and exactly 0 through balls attempted.

Some other items that stood out to me:
Villa was dispossessed 5 times.
Lampard was dispossessed 4 times.
Pirlo was fouled 4 times.
NYCFC created a high number of key passes (14) many of which should have been finished and converted to assists: 4 key passes for Villa, 3 for McNamara, 3 for Pirlo, 2 for Lampard, 1 for Mix and 1 for Angelino.

Biggest issue for me is that no one in midfield (besides Mix) plays any defense. We don't get much from Pirlo or Lampard defensively (and that's not too surprising) but Jacobson was absolutely worthless. 100% of the defensive pressure is put on the back 4 and they did what they could:

Player - Tackles/Interceptions/Clearances
Facey - 4/4/9
Angelino - 3/3/6
Iraola - 5/1/4
Mena - 3/2/1
Jacobson - 0/1/0
Mix - 2/2/0
Lampard - 1/2/1
Pirlo - 0/2/0

Very bad news that our 2 Man City loanees are the best defensive players we have.
Great analysis. What do we do next season after the loanees are gone (all signs pointing to they be gone)? we have so many holes to plug!

The more I watch the replay, how in the hell was Dax' challenge on Pirlo late not a straight red? Because he got the ball? He went in full speed and absolutely crushed Pirlo. Endangering the player? Am I crazy or does it look like the refs are taking pleasure in watching the stars get abused. Lampard's move in the box was a penalty anyway you slice it. You can't just hip check the guy with no attempt to go after the ball. Frank owned Dax. MLS is a rough league because the refs allow it.

The more I watch the replay, how in the hell was Dax' challenge on Pirlo late not a straight red? Because he got the ball? He went in full speed and absolutely crushed Pirlo. Endangering the player? Am I crazy or does it look like the refs are taking pleasure in watching the stars get abused. Lampard's move in the box was a penalty anyway you slice it. You can't just hip check the guy with no attempt to go after the ball. Frank owned Dax. MLS is a rough league because the refs allow it.
As I said, Refs here need more game experience. MLS should send them to Europe to do apprenticeship

I recorded the game and watched it on Tuesday night.

Thought we should have been a couple of goals up before they scored. In parts played well, but couldn't keep it up for long enough.

The biggest problem is our squad is not balanced enough. It is criminal we have no wide players on the roster.

Pirlo and Lampard simply don't have the legs to run all day. Therefore you need players around them who can and are good enough on the ball to play with them. At the moment I would start with Pirlo and have Lampard on the bench.

I was surprised as anyone when Mix came off. Although playing in a position that doesn't suit him he was always looking for the ball and trying to create. Mena was at fault for the first goal, but still had a decent game.

Apart from the lack of width, the other biggest problem is there is no proper holding midfielder who can cover the ground and tackle to stop the opposition, which in turns exposes the defence.

(In a 1920s radio announcer)...Come watch MLS and see the stars get run over by Americans. Watch Pirlo get tackled by Dax McCarty. See David Villa be in the back pocket of Matt Miazga and the linesman. See Lampard pace around the field and miss wide open shots. Its MLS!