Redbulls Postgame

I took some time off before looking at this thread. A few thoughts on the game and players.

RBNJ deserved to win, but the 2-0 scoreline was deceiving. There were long stretches of the game when we were more dangerous, and we certainly had the first few good chances. When they scored the first goal, however, they had controlled the ball in our half for a while and had played dangerous passes into our box a few times. I had already said we were going to let one in if that didn't change.

Defense - Better this game, notwithstanding the errors that led to the two goals. There were a lot of dangerous balls into our area; all but one were expertly cut out. Saunders had less to do than usual.

Saunders - Another bad game. Could have done more on both goals. On the first goal, he sets up defensively in front of Mena and not BWP. So, when Mena whiffed, BWP had an open net. I also think he should have had better position on the second goal. I'm not writing him off, as he's had some great games, but the last two are not among them.

Mena - Improved a lot from the last game, but still needs consistency. The whiff on the first goal is 100% inexcusable.

Angelino - A solid game. They attacked down his side a lot in the first half - they clearly thought Sam could take him. Sam got some dangerous crosses in, but they were all handled. Angelino did a very good job making runs out of the back.

Iraola - Probably our most disappointing acquisition this summer. Not because he is bad - but he is nowhere near as good as we had hoped. He was beaten badly on that second goal. He lacks the pace to push forward and get back in time on defense. Both goals were scored off of his side last night.

Midfield - Our inability to hold possession and especially to take it back was the biggest problem in the game.

Pirlo - Rough game. They clearly had a plan to get physical with him, and the ref was letting a lot go. Pirlo needs to adjust to this, because it is going to be every team's strategy.

Mix - Great effort, as others have noted.

Lampard - I liked him a lot this game. Half the battle of being a goal scorer is making runs and receiving the ball in a dangerous position. He did this a lot Sunday night. His finishing was off, but he's still not sharp after the layoff. I expect to see good things from him going forward.

McNamara - His effort and smart play have earned him a place in the Starting XI, and nothing changed about that on Sunday.

Villa - His effort and skill have been great all year. His decision making has been questionable, and Sunday was quite problematic. Too many times he tried for a fancy pass - a backheel, for example - that wasn't there, and we lose a promising attack. He also didn't always find open players when he could have. Finally, offsides is getting to be a problem for him. He's still been great for us, but the bad decision making is holding him back a bit.

Well said, what are we going to do when Angelino is gone next season? not many people I can think of can fill his shoes. This guy will be on the Spanish national team (adult) given time. We need a better goalie, need a reliable CB, need a striker and need two LB/RBs. Oh, and then a new coach. That's about it.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Eh, despite the fact we have names in our midfield it's clearly an issue right now. We have very bad ball movement. attacks stall out. We need pace more than anything. ALL game our fullbacks were getting taken on and crosses were whipped in. Not the case with us. You can't expect Angelino to attack, if you do then just play him at LM. No one on our team took on their LB/RB all game. It's very easy to defend attacks up the middle, there's lots of bodies there and we clearly dont have the technical skill to 1-2 pass around pressure.
Really missing Shelton. He really challenged the defense when he was in with his ability to run at defenders. Even poku in that role would be great as he proved a few weeks ago. I think he gets the start this Thursday since he'll be well rested. But it will be a tough game to win against the best team in the league.

RB pretty much pushed up the sides then their Mids came up to receive either crosses or passes back up to the top of the 18. I don't think any of our mids besides Lampard smelled the offensive third.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
So I didn't get to watch the match but it's not like my punk ass RB buddies didn't keep me in the loop. I read an article today how that game showed Pirlo's and Lampard's age... seriously? Had we won would you have seen an article talking about the Wright brothers and their age? At this point of the season I don't see us making play offs but offseason some huge changes need to be made especially that back line. Players need to be let go and others brought in because we'll be losing players like Angelino and prey to the almighty Grabavoy and Nemec as well among a couple of others. NYCFC should already be looking at next season already and making plans, with or without Kreis.

I really think Frank has something to offer, and he could have made a massive difference in our team had he been here when originally planned. I'd conservatively say it's anywhere from a 3-9 point difference in the results from where we are now.

Before 373 got here we played to 6 draws. Six chances for him to make a difference and add 2 points to our team total. One goal, one assist, one play and a draw becomes a win. Orlando, Colorado, Philadelphia, Chicago, Houston, Toronto. Six added points is a reasonable estimate.

Before 373 got here we lost 6 games by one goal. SKC, Philadelphia, Portland, Chicago, RB, New England. One goal, one assist, one play and a loss becomes a draw. Three points is a reasonable estimate. That's 9 total.

Now here is where I make people cry. The PPG standings with us having just 7 more points, because I'm in a forgiving mood. And this does not even account for the loss of points that some of these teams would have, because we would have turned some of their wins to draws, and draws to losses:

Screen Shot 2015-08-11 at 7.28.12 PM.png

ETA: With 9 more points instead of 7 we're ahead of Toronto.

Last edited:
We need better MLS players not just better soccer players, ones who know the style of play in this league. Lalas was saying that only Jacobson (besides Saunders) was an actual MLS "veteran" on our side.

Reactions: D_RoyJenkins
We need better MLS players not just better soccer players, ones who know the style of play in this league. Lalas was saying that only Jacobson (besides Saunders) was an actual MLS "veteran" on our side.
As new Jersey demonstrated, MLS players make ugly tackles and don't get fouls, punch guys and don't get fouls. Drag players down and actually get the fouls called against the other guy.

Reactions: Paul
Good point. We need to replace our expansion draft players with veteran MLS players

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
As new Jersey demonstrated, MLS players make ugly tackles and don't get fouls, punch guys and don't get fouls. Drag players down and actually get the fouls called against the other guy.
And yet this isn't an issue for any DPs or foreign nationals on teams that are winning. This is a convenient argument for Lalas to make with no one there to point out the holes but it's wrong.

Yes Pirlo needs to adjust to the physicality. Actually Kreis needs to adjust. Defenders crowding Pirlo in a 4-2-3-1 means his mate in the DM role will have more space. That player is either going to be AJ who can't move the ball upfield or Mix who can.

Burn the defense that is shading toward Pirlo and they'll stop doing so. Then Pirlo gets to burn them. But allow them to focus on Pirlo knowing the ball can't advance through that layer and we are a much easier team to handle.

I think Pirlo, Mix, Villa and Lamps would be plenty good enough if surrounded by "league average" players at every position -- if they had played a season or two together before. That's most teams' situation with their big signings, they're bringing in superstar talent to a team comfortable with each other. We haven't had that option. But I agree with a lot of posters here that we're really lacking athleticism right now. Watching Lawrence and Sam last weekend, and guys like Accam and Oduro burn us, we plainly just need faster, quicker guys; or at least our fast, quick guys back from injury.

Last edited:
Good point. We need to replace our expansion draft players with veteran MLS players
Midas Mulligan-esque effort here. You are the first recipient of The MM International Seal of Approval. The MMISA, found wherever you find quality smartassery. Starting now.

Edited for spelling error.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul
that was clearly red card; can't believe ref did not catch that or chose to ignore it...
MLS needs to grow up too.
Agreed but if he didn't see it he didn't see it. Obviously they didn't notice much from the game. However if the league doesn't suspend him at least 3 games I will be irate.