Ronny Deila Named NYCFC Head Coach / Deila Joins Standard Liège

What Are Your Thoughts on Deila as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Displeased

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
CFG has proven twice already they hire from within, and there’s an argument to be made that they tried to make Kreis an insider with a year-long shadowing internship before the first season. Yet if they’re looking at the outside candidates, it means any insider search has been stymied.

As to an outside search, no organization interviews 28 candidates. They will have a short list (even before the coach leaves) with maybe 1-2 reach managers they know they don’t have a chance with but use to gauge the going rate of what it takes to pull the top of the top. After that, if the team talks to too many candidates, word gets around and they loose leverage. Plus, how many of the “many” 28 actually pass the eye-test fit to be a legitimate candidate - guarantee the majority don’t, especially for a club that wants to play a very specific style, but they (the managers) are hoping to win the proverbial lottery and get hires for a position above their current standing.

For the club to not have announced yet, with the season about to open with camp, they have had zero luck with their search - nobody has agreed to what has been offered. It doesn’t mean that nobody wants the NYCFC job, just that they don’t want it under the terms being discussed and offered by CFG.
No to both of these comments. If the club really has interviewed 28 candidates, it means the club has been given the proverbial finger by all of them, which would include insiders with the club. That 28 number, if true, is absolutely damning.
It says 28 applications, not 28 they interviewed. As you sort of hint at, it's likely that they made a shortlist of 3 out of the 28.

It says 28 applications, not 28 they interviewed. As you sort of hint at, it's likely that they made a shortlist of 3 out of the 28.
I'm slightly excited about the idea I might have to Google for each of the 3. The assistant coach of BvB is a blogger with a MSc in Psychology.

The GVB case isn't making that much sense to me at this point. If we were waiting for Arteta it doesn't make sense that we're still waiting. If we were grooming GVB all that time it doesn't make a lot of sense if we had 28 applications and still have a shortlist of 3. It's plausible (e.g. he changed his mind, or CFG / NYCFC changed their mind and decided to widen the net) but feels like a reach.

If we are going with a Google-necessitating coach, maybe CFG / NYCFC has learnt the lesson of two premature rebuilds and is looking for someone to stick around and see things through.

Reactions: JayH and mgarbowski
No to both of these comments. If the club really has interviewed 28 candidates, it means the club has been given the proverbial finger by all of them, which would include insiders with the club. That 28 number, if true, is absolutely damning.

That's absolutely not what that means. It means 28 people reached out, and they interviewed a certain amount of them. It does not mean that they offered the job to 28 people who all declined.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I think we hear something tomorrow. Apparently everyone has been on holiday and are back on the second. Would t be surprise if it’s all done and they’re just waiting till tomorrow to do all the posts.
It would be quite a feat if we had a whole dang coaching search without a single rumor coming from it. Easier to believe the whole FO is out there just whistling Dixie

I think we hear something tomorrow. Apparently everyone has been on holiday and are back on the second. Would t be surprise if it’s all done and they’re just waiting till tomorrow to do all the posts.
It would be quite a feat if we had a whole dang coaching search without a single rumor coming from it. Easier to believe the whole FO is out there just whistling Dixie

EIther we hired someone days ago (or more) and held off on the announcement because people are on vacation and they managed to keep perfect secrecy because Lord knows you can't announce news without several subcommittee meetings and preclearing all the videos and press releases through multiple channels and Senior VPs, OR, tomorrow we will be 9 days away from opening camp and still won't get an announcement because they haven't hired anyone yet.

Both are an inconceivable joke.

For all the criticisms of this organization, we know how close to the vest things are kept. There have been leaks, just no new ones in the last couple months. But GVB was on the table for us before we knew Dome was unhappy and about to quit. There not being any other real rumors really shouldn't be a surprise. The sporting side of this organization has been run very well, and obviously while Claudio's departure delayed the search, it's hard to imagine that they're far away from naming a coach. Like others, I think we get an announcement before the end of this week. Early next week at the very latest.

For all the criticisms of this organization, we know how close to the vest things are kept. There have been leaks, just no new ones in the last couple months. But GVB was on the table for us before we knew Dome was unhappy and about to quit. There not being any other real rumors really shouldn't be a surprise. The sporting side of this organization has been run very well, and obviously while Claudio's departure delayed the search, it's hard to imagine that they're far away from naming a coach. Like others, I think we get an announcement before the end of this week. Early next week at the very latest.
Feeling decent about the choice. I still wish the club was better about communication around this.

8:30 AM - Manager announcement
9:12 AM - LB signing
10:15 AM - Jesus Medina transfer
10:37 AM - New DP signing
11:12 AM - Kit reveal
11:47 AM - Announcement of a press conference to be held on Monday at a location in the Bronx
12:01 PM - Condescending, satire post about all the shit that's been tweeted that the front office has been on holiday

Search for "van bronckhorst" on twitter right now and you'll find dozens of stories in Dutch saying he is reported to have accepted an offer to coach in China. I won't link them because they're all in Dutch and I have no idea which are the most reliable but it's all over the place, though most use the formula "is reported" which indicates no formal announcement, but this appears to be at least likely true at this point.

Search for "van bronckhorst" on twitter right now and you'll find dozens of stories in Dutch saying he is reported to have accepted an offer to coach in China. I won't link them because they're all in Dutch and I have no idea which are the most reliable but it's all over the place, though most use the formula "is reported" which indicates no formal announcement, but this appears to be at least likely true at this point.

Firsthand report from the Netherlands' biggest paper here: https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/389065444/van-bronckhorst-onderweg-naar-china

Hey, at least it says we made a competitive offer.