Ronny Deila Named NYCFC Head Coach / Deila Joins Standard Liège

What Are Your Thoughts on Deila as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Displeased

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
Not only that. Can you imagine another team in this city hiring a new general manager (sporting director), and not making him available to the media? It's absolutely insane that David Lee has been in the job for this long and has answered a grand total of zero questions from the New York media.

If any other team tried pulling this stunt, the media in this town would have someone's head on a platter. And rightfully so.

Because nobody in the Ny media cares about soccer. There’s like two guys that cover it in the post and newsday.

Because nobody in the Ny media cares about soccer. There’s like two guys that cover it in the post and newsday.
It’s the chicken/egg situation.... are there only two guys that cover it because the club has made it nearly impossible to get access & up-close reportable material, or..... is there no audience in NYC for soccer so the media won’t hire writers? We know that NYC is a hotbed of soccer culture with the various youth/adult leagues of players, non-playing soccer enthusiasts, & expats, so it’s be a stretch to think there’s zero audience.

NYCFC has burned good will with their paying STH.... considering the lack of coverage, it’d be very surprising if they haven’t burned bridges with the news outlets who can’t keep full/part-time writers on staff if they never know when the club is gonna loosen their lips and go on record.

It’s the chicken/egg situation.... are there only two guys that cover it because the club has made it nearly impossible to get access & up-close reportable material, or..... is there no audience in NYC for soccer so the media won’t hire writers? We know that NYC is a hotbed of soccer culture with the various youth/adult leagues of players, non-playing soccer enthusiasts, & expats, so it’s be a stretch to think there’s zero audience.

NYCFC has burned good will with their paying STH.... considering the lack of coverage, it’d be very surprising if they haven’t burned bridges with the news outlets who can’t keep full/part-time writers on staff if they never know when the club is gonna loosen their lips and go on record.

While nycfc has not done itself any favors and has handled things badly at times, In my opinion its probably the latter:

Yes nyc is a hotbed but alot of it like foreign based leagues/teams. Some want to read news or watch shows in other languages for their favorite league/team. Nycfc and other ny pro soccer teams are secondary or dont even watch it.

In terms of ny media business point why cover a league that to them is looking like a niche sport. The local talk shows on espn, cbs sports, fox sports or news papers like daily news or the post are not going to give that much of airtime or exposure to a team that is only drawing 150K on a nationally broadcast game (the hudson river derby was around this it was pretty bad.) its not going to sell papers its not gonna give them a big audience if they talk about it or many clicks on their platforms.

And honestly sometimes the espn coverage was bad, i recall herculez gomez saying matarrita was a striker option off thr bench :rolleyes:Like they themsleves dont even do own research. So then we tend to go for the nycfc podcasts like with glen crooks (i personally listen to blue city radio) to get our fix.

Oh another thing: while many full time amd part timers have been banned etc (i still think aaros is trash) from nycfc, no one cared in ny media. However when the knicks banned the daily news from their press conference for RJ barret there lots of pushback from daily news amd others outlets. Again, because there is bigger audience that will react to it and give the knicks crap.

The last time ny media cared about soccer was probably pele’s cosmos. Because pele was the known as the best in the world hands down (even though he was probably close to the tail end of his career). The only equivalent would be getting messi or cristiano ronaldo....no one else. I mean we had world cup winners and legends of the game and it didnt really move the needle,and the coverage was not massive.

I am not ready to convict him personally either as I know nothing about the guy. The process does concern me (a lot) but at least he’s not the obvious quick stop choice. PV was nothing more than a coaching newbie with the value of City schooling, and was great. It will be interesting to see someone with more seasoned experience (as well as how he does or doesn’t buy in to the City way to play). This can go a lot of different ways, buckle up ugh.
Yeah. I feel pretty much precisely "ok" about this.

This is probably the only thing I've read about him so far that gets me in any way enthusiastic:

I feel compelled to point out that our last guy’s track record as a manager consisted of a 4th place finish in the Spanish Segunda, and it turned out pretty well. So before we draw too many conclusions about the new guy we should take that into account. CFG may suck at communications but they are pretty good at football.

I feel compelled to point out that our last guy’s track record as a manager consisted of a 4th place finish in the Spanish Segunda, and it turned out pretty well. So before we draw too many conclusions about the new guy we should take that into account. CFG may suck at communications but they are pretty good at football.
Leaving out a pretty significant 13 years of track record on Dome, but I agree with your point about CFG on football matters.

Could imagine Ronny being a long term coach at least.

And our sporting department has done a really good job both acquiring good coaches and good players. I don't trust the front office, but I do trust the sporting department. If this is the guy, there's a good reason.

Yeah. I feel pretty much precisely "ok" about this.

This is probably the only thing I've read about him so far that gets me in any way enthusiastic:

I also don’t fully value the suggestion some have made that while he won the Scottish Premiership, he didn’t win it impressively enough. I know nothing about the circumstances, but there is value in leading any team, no matter how stacked, no matter the league, no matter the competition, even Celtic, to victory.

Separately, Pitchside is going to be a lot more entertaining with this guy.

I am trying to see beyond the meh here.

I think we'll be fine. You don't even get a look at Celtic without some acumen. At least this guy likes attacking and we've got a great squad for precisely that. Excited to hear what he calls Araos in a press conference.
Will probably just moon him.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
The more I read about him the more I like it. He seems to play a 4-2-3-1, which fits pretty much perfectly with our system under Dome and PV, and fits the roster like a glove. He plays attacking, pressing football which is something we've been doing for a while.

Yes he has a CFG connection, but that doesn't mean he's a bad coach. I think this hire will allow us to continue to play the same kind of game we've had for the last four seasons, which should minimize the natural disruption caused by a coaching change. That's important considering we play a competitive game in 45 days or so.

The big difference between Torrent and Deila seems to be that Dome had a lot of formational flexibility -- he'd play us in five different formations over the course of a single game and change starting formations all the time. Deila seems to keep to his system, though hard to see from some of the articles what kind of in-game adjustments he makes.

I also don’t fully value the suggestion some have made that while he won the Scottish Premiership, he didn’t win it impressively enough. I know nothing about the circumstances, but there is value in leading any team, no matter how stacked, no matter the league, no matter the competition, even Celtic, to victory.

Separately, Pitchside is going to be a lot more entertaining with this guy.

I am trying to see beyond the meh here.

He's 6'2". Vieira is 6'4". Dome is 5'9". So views will be blocked again to a degree.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH