Ronny Deila Named NYCFC Head Coach / Deila Joins Standard Liège

What Are Your Thoughts on Deila as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Displeased

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
there is more money and investment i dont debate that, but its still seen inferior to Belgium. im talking about the perception of the league. I mean Tajon Buchannan ( i know, hes canadian) went to belgium to further his development, he didnt go straight to a top league in europe from MLS. They see it as a stepping stone to a bigger team. ......did he take a step back in his career by going to brugge?

The only difference is Champions League football.

And then there's this. Ronny connected to an opening at Standard Liege in Belgium, which is apparently in the process of hiring another CFG (by way of Man City) veteran as sporting director.

ETA: the article also notes there are other candidates and there's no special reason to think he is the one who will get the job. Basically, it's a Norwegian publication and he's Norwegian, so he's their focus, but not necessarily Liege's focus.

Last edited:
And who fills in as interim (or next permanent) manager? Nick Cushing (probably). The CFG circle continues.

Reactions: Kjbert
And here I was hoping Ronny could be our Peter Vermes

Yeah for some reason I really thought Ronny would be the one to stick around for a while. If the rumors are true it stinks to go through this again.

And here I was hoping Ronny could be our Peter Vermes

i thought so too, i mean dude was seen as a "failure" as celtic even though he won titles. and even in his own country he was seen as "meh" ( based on google translated tweets). i guess that MLS cup changed everything.

Last edited:
i thought so too, i mean dude was seen as a "failure" as celtic even though he won titles. and even in his own country he was seen as "meh" ( based on good translated tweets). i guess that MLS cup changed everything.

it’s not good enough to just win at Celtic

I have a nagging feeling I've asked this before but I cannot remember:

Have any other MLS teams in the last 5-10 years have a head coach leave midseason to immediately take another job for money or prestige? Not someone who got fired and landed well, or a mutual split of a team and coach who had gotten tired of each other, but someone who was doing well, the team liked him, but he had an opportunity and packed his bags in-season.
Have there even been reports of negotiations or interviews that then didn't pan out, regarding someone like Tata, or Schmetzer, or anybody might leave midseason?

It is annoying this keeps happening to us. If it doesn't happen I want the rumors over and done by next week. In 2018 the team PPG from the time of the first Vieira rumor (which was about Arsenal) until he left was just 1.38. The rest of the year it was 1.73 and that includes a 13 points in 13 games stretch to close out the season.

The process itself is a distraction. And if he goes, I think for 2022 at least, it's a bigger deal than Taty going. I don't care if you bring in a genius like Pep, or a "steady on" option like Cushing. This team's chemistry is dead perfect, and a midseason coaching change alters that. I'll be happy if proven wrong, and happier if it doesn't happen.

Last edited:
I have a nagging feeling I've asked this before but I cannot remember:

Have any other MLS teams in the last 5-10 years have a head coach leave midseason to immediately take another job for money or prestige? Not someone who got fired and landed well, or a mutual split of a team and coach who had gotten tired of each other, but someone who was doing well, the team liked him, but he had an opportunity and packed his bags in-season.
Have there even been reports of negotiations or interviews that then didn't pan out, regarding someone like Tata, or Schmetzer, or anybody might leave midseason?

It is annoying this keeps happening to us. If it doesn't happen I want the rumors over and done by next week. In 2018 the team PPG from the time of the first Vieira rumor (which was about Arsenal) until he left was just 1.38. The rest of the year it was 1.73 and that includes a 13 points in 13 games stretch to close out the season.

The process itself is a distraction. And if he goes, I think for 2022 at least, it's a bigger deal than Taty going. I don't care if you bring in a genius like Pep, or a "steady on" option like Cushing. This team's chemistry is dead perfect, and a midseason coaching change alters that. I'll be happy if proven wrong, and happier if it doesn't happen.

Does Jesse Marsch count?