Ronny Deila Named NYCFC Head Coach / Deila Joins Standard Liège

What Are Your Thoughts on Deila as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Displeased

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
Who says he’s unhappy? You’re an easy touch. You can’t credibly run a business if you regularly allow employees to opt out of contracts.

A bunch of Ronny's old teammates were in town a few months ago. It was around the time a Standard Liege article came out. In response to 'It seems like Ronny likes it here in New York.' They were like "ehh...."

It's a tough time to be a quarter of the way around the world from your home/family (if that's the case).

Reactions: SoupInNYC
His contract runs through June 2023, oddly.
You say contracts get cut off early all the time - I don’t think that’s true — what are some examples of that?

nemec, Berget, they bought out mix. Patrick was allowed to leave For nice. If Ronny leaves it will be just another example.

Others leagues have had cases where there is “mutual agreement” and are let go of contracts, when there are rumors that other teams want them and then a Few days later they show up in other team.

Last edited:
It's picking up steam quickly. The real question is not whether Ronny is leaving but if he's going to be coaching on the 19th.

LionMOD: No new thread when he's announced that he leaves. Post it here. If there's a new thread it will be merged into this thread. A new threat can be created for the discussion of a new manager appointed, interim or otherwise.

Last edited:
It's picking up steam quickly. The real question is not whether Ronny is leaving but if he's going to be coaching on the 19th.
Nothing on the wires yet, but if the numbers fall into place we could lose both our manager and our striker before then. It looks like in both cases it's just a matter of meeting the ask.

Valentin Castellanos transfer: NYCFC asking price not met amid Leeds interest (90min.com)

Such is life in MLS. We really can't fault anyone for turning an honest buck. But I won't lie, I'm really looking forward to the day when we can compete with the second-tier leagues on a toe-to-toe basis, financially speaking.

Reactions: daveh and Kjbert
If he’s going I want him out ASAP.

a read a tweet this morning ( which may have been deleted because I keep searching and can’t find it now) saying he will Be coaching new team on Wednesday in start of their preseason.
I think they had training today so he may have said his goodbyes today (except callens and Johnson)

Well this just stinks.

It’s not good that we can’t seem to keep a coach for more than a short stay. Maybe Vieira was making an obvious, predictable move up the ladder, but Ronny is making a lateral move at best, and Dome didn’t even have a job when he left.

Pure conjecture on my part, but I suspect that he wouldn't be making this somewhat lateral move if we had a stadium and a better home environment like Portland or some others.

I'm not sure what SL has going on, but I suspect it's better than our hodgepodge of sparsely filled stadiums.

Pure conjecture on my part, but I suspect that he wouldn't be making this somewhat lateral move if we had a stadium and a better home environment like Portland or some others.

I'm not sure what SL has going on, but I suspect it's better than our hodgepodge of sparsely filled stadiums.

i really doubt that. It doesn’t help but I doubt that Is the reason he left.
It’s most likely he wants go be closer to home like PV.

Thing is euro coaches will eventually want to go back home as certain teams and leagues you can still get piece of Europa or champions league action. That will always be appealing.

long term coaches in mls is probably going to be either American or players that have long tenure in MlS like Gonzalo Pineda

Reactions: KevinJRogers
i really doubt that. It doesn’t help but I doubt that Is the reason he left.
It’s most likely he wants go be closer to home like PV.

Thing is euro coaches will eventually want to go back home as certain teams and leagues you can still get piece of Europa or champions league action. That will always be appealing.

long term coaches in mls is probably going to be either American or players that have long tenure in MlS like Gonzalo Pineda
Having a shot at UEFA tournaments is a huge factor, I'm sure. So is his base pay. I'm not sure what Ronny draws with us, but one of the reports had him looking for €1 million per year from Liege. Put that together with the bonuses available from Europa and Champions League action and some of the other stuff and it's likely a big step up in terms of his personal income, even though it's a lateral move in competitive terms (or worse -- I think we beat them pretty handily most days).

And not for nothing, but it's pro sports. The big boys play for money. I often think of the quote from the great Gil Perreault, when he was asked what the three most important things in hockey were: "Forecheck, backcheck, paycheck." :laughing:

No different for managers. It feels a little mercenary because we're in the middle of our season, but there's nothing to be done about that. Our league is counter-scheduled to Europe so mid-season changes are inevitable. In fact, if he saw his current contract out and didn't extend he'd be out in the middle of next season. So it was probably a sooner or later thing all along.

Sucks, but there it is. We'll be okay. I'm almost certain Nick Cushing will step into his shoes, and it will be fine.

nemec, Berget, they bought out mix. Patrick was allowed to leave For nice. If Ronny leaves it will be just another example.

Others leagues have had cases where there is “mutual agreement” and are let go of contracts, when there are rumors that other teams want them and then a Few days later they show up in other team.
Dropping players because they suck is not the same as someone being allowed to walk out of a contract.

Reactions: JayH