Things Mls And Nycfc Can Do Better

Yeah I understand that. Like I said, I didn't watch MLS last season, or ever before, so I'm not actually sure when the games are. But what I'm saying is that even if the game times for EPL aren't actually at 7-10am Saturday mornings.. For the most they're all on Saturday and Sunday's- and mid day, earlier games for people in Europe; and the games that aren't are the lowest viewed.

The majority of MLS games are Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

Reactions: Kjbert
That's what I thought too. I know the few games I planned on watching in the last few years I wasn't able to watch so I had to record them and found out the scores before I could watch so I never did.

Where I live the games are on at an awfully inconvenient time. 5 pm on Friday, 1 pm on Saturday, and 3 or 5 pm on Sunday.

And what time do you think games are played in other leagues? An EPL game that we see at 10 AM on the east coast is at 3 in England.

And what time do you think games are played in other leagues? An EPL game that we see at 10 AM on the east coast is at 3 in England.
How many 5pm Friday games or midweek games do they have in England?

How many 5pm Friday games or midweek games do they have in England?

According to Wikipedia there were 323 MLS matches played last season. I just went though the schedule on the MLS website and counted 43 games that were played Monday-Thursday. So 13% of the games were midweek games, and that number is artificially inflated since they played a bunch of Wednesday games around the World Cup this summer. It's really not that big an issue.

EDIT: And for comparison's sake I just did the same count for the EPL this year, which has 52 midweek (Mon-Thurs) games out of 380. That comes out to 13.68% of games, whereas MLS is 13.31%, so the percentage of midweek games in the EPL is actually slightly higher.

Last edited:
The vast majority of MLS games are Saturday evenings in their respective markets. In fact only odd balls like the Canadian teams ever have games at 1pm on Saturday.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
Awesome! I didn't know that as I didn't pay that much attention last year. Don't know why I assumed the game times weren't that convenient.

Part of the problem were the networks. Even though I hate Fox I bet scheduling will be a lot better since it will be the main dedicated provider. Hopefully they can create a committed time slot where every week at the same exact time MLS is shown. Like the NFL has with Sundays.

Just about every week I had to google the schedule to find out which games were on what network and at what time and day. For me it's fine. But I can imagine it's difficult for someone who is extremely casual and just coming into the sport.

Part of the problem were the networks. Even though I hate Fox I bet scheduling will be a lot better since it will be the main dedicated provider. Hopefully they can create a committed time slot where every week at the same exact time MLS is shown. Like the NFL has with Sundays.

Just about every week I had to google the schedule to find out which games were on what network and at what time and day. For me it's fine. But I can imagine it's difficult for someone who is extremely casual and just coming into the sport.
Yeah, that's the exact problem I had. I enjoy NBCs coverage of the EPL and imagine Fox would be good as well.

Reactions: Kjbert

Yeah it was part of the new TV deal those are the times and they to air at those times this season and every season for at least 8 years.

I just don't really like the time slots as far as televised games go. It's not that big of a deal. I can still find the time to watch some of the games.

Friday night games are a pain in the arse and are hardly ever played by prem teams in England, 2nd and third division teams have recently been playing some Fridays because of TV scheduling.
And for some absurd reason the England national team have taken to playing Friday nights, as if there is not already enough congestion in London on a Friday !!

Midweek premiership games normally have a 7:45 pm kick off

Saturday games are 3:00 pm kick off unless televised, then one will be 13:30, and one 17:30

Sunday games are 13:30 or 4:00 pm kick offs

According to Wikipedia there were 323 MLS matches played last season. I just went though the schedule on the MLS website and counted 43 games that were played Monday-Thursday. So 13% of the games were midweek games, and that number is artificially inflated since they played a bunch of Wednesday games around the World Cup this summer. It's really not that big an issue.

EDIT: And for comparison's sake I just did the same count for the EPL this year, which has 52 midweek (Mon-Thurs) games out of 380. That comes out to 13.68% of games, whereas MLS is 13.31%, so the percentage of midweek games in the EPL is actually slightly higher.
Please stop trying to confuse us with your "facts" and "math".

Have you guys bought MLS Live in the past? I'm thinking of getting it for next season.

NYCFC's games online will probably be subject to local blackout, but I don't think it'll be a big issue with me as long as it's on cable.

Nailed it.

I've heard (though never confirmed) that this TV deal, MLS said they would take less money for fixed time slots. It was hard figuring out when games were on TV and which channel. It's probably a huge contributor to the poor ratings. Most of the time, there were Saturday games....but when were they on TV? 2:30? 3? 5? 8? 9? 10? 11? Pretty sure games started at all those times this season.

Once in a while, there were no games on Saturday and one or two games on Sunday but it was the same thing for Sunday. It was a mess.

Soooo glad they got time slots now.