Tv Deal?

Buckley

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
516/845
4 months away from the start of the 2015 season when do you think the club will announce what channel the games will be broadcasted on? I know most are assuming YES Network but what if it isn't? SNY maybe? I hope they get some good announcers as well.

Reactions: Kjbert
Yeah it will most likely be Yes. They were covered in Yankees Magazine as late as last night and since they are owned in part by the Yankees they will mostly be own the Yankees Entertainment and Sports network (YES network) not SNY owned by the Mets. (Not trying to sound mean but just trying to point out y).

I haven't paid any attention to the red bulls, who covers their games? are they all locally broadcast? I would rule out whoever covers them. But I agree that YES is the most logical, the yankees get part ownership and programming.

YES obviously makes sense but they already have the Yankees and Nets. Maybe NYCFC will have a lot of ESPN games though. Red Bulls are on MSG and the coverage is very good, they have pre and post game shows as well.

I wonder this too, but also because of the possible time conflict between NYCFC games and yankee games? Though they do use MY9 OTA channel for some yankee games as well. Perhaps they can use that as well?

4 months away from the start of the 2015 season when do you think the club will announce what channel the games will be broadcasted on? I know most are assuming YES Network but what if it isn't? SNY maybe? I hope they get some good announcers as well.

I can't imagine it not being YES. Has to be be. YES and ESPN.

I really hope they canmake a deal with an OTA station. It's worked so well for Seattle, they have massive ratings. Plus, airing on YES will likely lead to a ton of conflicts and we would have to use more than one local network. Hopefully they have a primary network like MY9, and use YES for replays and studio programs!
But as long as they have all matches available live, life is good!

Just for laughs I sent out a few emails to newspaper guys who may have some insight. I'll let you know if any of them send a reply.

Reactions: Buckley
The fact that they've announced a radio deal and not a TV deal could be telling. They certainly don't have one in place with YES as of yet. Now I am sure they're negotiating things such as live vs replay, how to handle national broadcast games that are on Fox 1, ESPN, etc.

YES certainly needs more content and I hope they make this deal along with pre and post game shows.

Received an email from Phil Mushnick (NY Post) this morning. He's says he hasn't heard anything, but he'll ask around.

He's the best! :cool:

Unless he's waging a hate campaign against you like with WWE amongst others. If he ever has a big story about NYCFC it probably won't be any good news. I'm presuming there's no suggestions on the announce team being lined up? It probably won't be anyone well known in the UK anyway but its worth mentioning since we have to listen (and hopefully not endure) them most games.

Mushnick is a huge soccer fan. He covered the real Cosmos for the Post back in the day.

Well its probably good that media attention isn't intensive because complaints about the media are often tedious. Some forums are full of threads about things some 2nd rate commentator or other outsiders might have said. I'm sure he won't have much to say about MLS or NYCFC anyway. Obviously he's far more "senior" now and soccer isn't exactly amongst the highest sports coverage priorities at the NY Post. At least not imminently...

most yes game that are conflicts just go on my9

I was just about to mention this. Seeing as how most games will be on Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays many weekend games are on FOX or my9 already so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Plus the odd Sunday Night Baseball game on ESPN which the Yanks. I can't imagine it being anything other than YES. I think the bigger thing here is games to be broadcast on WFAN, that's unprecedented in the area.

Keep in mind that the majority of matches available for local broadcast will be on Saturdays. Fridays and Sundays are supposed to be exclusive for the national TV partners.

I know they have a deal with WFAN for the radio broadcasts.