adam

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
May 30, 2014
LBNY
10984457_10155260936530576_5074567597774494869_n.jpg
They are the morning show for NYC's broadcast station. No excuse why they can't have one guest a week. Especially right before the season. Let's show them we care!

They are the morning show for NYC's broadcast station. No excuse why they can't have one guest a week. Especially right before the season. Let's show them we care!
Don't even give them the attention. Carton is exactly the type of fan I am hoping to get away from in following soccer.

Reactions: Gene and CP_Scouse
I just peeked at their twitter account and it is embarrassing. It looks like an account attached to a college blogger.

Why would we want them to cover it, anyway? It'd just be another "SOKKER ISN'T A REAL SPORT I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE OFFSIDE RULE AND STOPPAGE TIME THE CLOCK COUNTS UP, DOESN'T IT?"

Traditional media struggles to cover soccer because they didn't grow up with it. Forcing these guys to talk about it doesn't really help us, unless they're compelled to discuss. Grow the game enough and draw 20K a game - then they'll talk.

Reactions: LostAnvil and Paul
Forgive me for going in a somewhat different direction, but if we are going to do any sort of twitter blitz
then it should be to Kay & La Greca.

They talked soccer during the World Cup and interviewed Reyna and Pernetti a few times during the summer. At least these guys are willing to give the sport some air time, so we at least have a foot in the door. If I'm correct their update guy Ryan Ruocco is a big fan of the sport.

Forgive me for going in a somewhat different direction, but if we are going to do any sort of twitter blitz
then it should be to Kay & La Greca.

They talked soccer during the World Cup and interviewed Reyna and Pernetti a few times during the summer. At least these guys are willing to give the sport some air time, so we at least have a foot in the door. If I'm correct their update guy Ryan Ruocco is a big fan of the sport.
Ryan Ruocco likes the sport a bit. Don La Greca doesn't but Michael Kay has a strange fascination with it.

Why would we want them to cover it, anyway? It'd just be another "SOKKER ISN'T A REAL SPORT I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE OFFSIDE RULE AND STOPPAGE TIME THE CLOCK COUNTS UP, DOESN'T IT?"

Traditional media struggles to cover soccer because they didn't grow up with it. Forcing these guys to talk about it doesn't really help us, unless they're compelled to discuss. Grow the game enough and draw 20K a game - then they'll talk.

Soccer is not covered here because it only has 1 opportunity to sell ads. same reason hockey is the #4 sport in the US

If you ever watch how flustered Al gets when hockey fans bombard the show, you'll know there's zero chance of hearing about soccer. Nothing to do with whether or not Craig and Boomer like soccer, everything to do with keeping higher ups happy. They've likened it to being Z100 and constantly requesting obscure punks bands. The DJ might LOVE punk but he's gotta play the hits. WFAN's gotta 'play the hits' and around here that means Baseball and Football year round.

I am surprised Esiaon is not on board. hes a big hockey guy (they get it) and a long island guy. they were a big soccer area since back in the day

I am surprised Esiaon is not on board. hes a big hockey guy (they get it) and a long island guy. they were a big soccer area since back in the day

It's possible Boomer might be a RB fan...they have a scarf in the studio and he had made mention to them a few times this last post-season on the show (where Carton would then downplay the sport and move on to shaming the Knicks)

Also, we'll be sure to get some coverage from the Men In Blazers podcast. Davo is supposedly a season ticket holder. And frankly I'd much rather listen to Rog and Davo talk NYCFC (which they have quite a bit so far, granted it's been mostly Lampardgate related) than boomer and carton...B&C have a great show but I can do without their $.02 on soccer.

I agree that if you're going the sports talk radio route, Kay and LaGrecca are way better than Boomer and Carton (they're unlistenable) and would be more apt to talk soccer on occasion. Since the Knicks have been so bad they've started to shift towards the Rangers more which is, in and of itself, a huge step up as hockey barely gets enough mention as it is. I wouldn't expect daily or even weekly coverage but they'll mention it every once in awhile and I'm sure they'll talk about it around the opener. I'm pretty sure they already had Pernetti and/or Reyna on at some point when the team was announced and Kay has a strong relationship with the Yankees so that will only help bring some buzz.

Reactions: adam
On a side not Mike and Mike of ESPN radio and ESPN2 (same station as our game Sunday) will be in Orlando Friday for their 15th anniversary. I hope they talk a little MLS I bet they will since ESPN will want to push the MLS more since it's on their station. I was watching this morning before work and they had a split screen of Mike and Mike and an advertisement of the game on the right.

Reactions: adam
Soccer is not covered here because it only has 1 opportunity to sell ads. same reason hockey is the #4 sport in the US
I disagree. There is other more real reasons soccer isn't covered here Yet by soccer I mean MLS. It's not about the lack of advertising opportunities because like anything in marketing there is always a way to insert good ads into a soccer match as has been proven with the current t broadcasts. In fact mls and soccer is a dream sport for potential advertising clients because of the demographics that ha e young professionals viewing and that consider themselves fans. For advertisers the ideal demo is young professionals that make a Consistent salary and have discretionary income.

The aim reason soccer isn't covered as much as it should be is because of the good ol' boy network that these tv giants stem from and operate from. However that will change slightly with the new tv deal that make it a priority for espn and fox to show mls highlights during their nightly sportscenters and such and have more programming during the week which will promote the games. I believe this was a big reason mls decided to go with espn and fox offer. We will get there it will just take more time.

there's so many other ways to advertise in soccer than just during half-time - the side boards, jerseys, segments, etc.
I disagree. There is other more real reasons soccer isn't covered here Yet by soccer I mean MLS. It's not about the lack of advertising opportunities because like anything in marketing there is always a way to insert good ads into a soccer match as has been proven with the current t broadcasts. In fact mls and soccer is a dream sport for potential advertising clients because of the demographics that ha e young professionals viewing and that consider themselves fans. For advertisers the ideal demo is young professionals that make a Consistent salary and have discretionary income.

The aim reason soccer isn't covered as much as it should be is because of the good ol' boy network that these tv giants stem from and operate from. However that will change slightly with the new tv deal that make it a priority for espn and fox to show mls highlights during their nightly sportscenters and such and have more programming during the week which will promote the games. I believe this was a big reason mls decided to go with espn and fox offer. We will get there it will just take more time.

I totally agree that it is a great audience for advertising. Your probably right about finding ways to insert good ads.
I was looking at it from the point that of how many ads they can have in a game. Football has a minimum 10 commercial breaks in each half plus halftime. Baseball has 1 every 1/2 inning plus pitcher changes.
I wonder if they will change any of the advertising inside the stadium depending on whose playing NYCFC or Yankees.

Reactions: S1ARK5
I totally agree that it is a great audience for advertising. Your probably right about finding ways to insert good ads.
I was looking at it from the point that of how many ads they can have in a game. Football has a minimum 10 commercial breaks in each half plus halftime. Baseball has 1 every 1/2 inning plus pitcher changes.
I wonder if they will change any of the advertising inside the stadium depending on whose playing NYCFC or Yankees.
I don't think they need to reinvent the wheel - some of the other leagues (including MLS) use segments like "Instant Replay provided by Lexus" or have mini ads pop-out of the digital score HUD

Regular season games are normally no more than 2 hours long, which gives you time before, at the half, and after the game for commercials - depending on who's broadcasting, you can even add a pre-game or post-game show for when it's the match of the week or something

If the league or any team gets popular enough, the demand for ad space will go up