2016 Supporter Shield Winner?

Kevin

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Jun 10, 2014
Brooklyn
We currently sit 4th (out of 20) in the Supporter Shield race. With 8 games left we play Orlando (16) ,D.C(15) twice, NE (17), FC Dal (1), CHI (19), HOU (18), and the CREW (20).

That is a very very weak remaining schedule.

Dallas plays 3/3 of their last games against LA and SEA, plus another tough game against COL (3).

Last year 60 pts won the shield, we currently sit at 41. We would need to finish the last 9 games at 6-1-1 to finish at 60 points.

What's most annoying is we have given up the win three times with goals given up at the 95th,94th,and 91st minute, along with missing out on a point giving up a goal in the 80th minute. If we had those 7 points we would be number one by 2 points.

Last edited:
We currently sit 4th (out of 20) in the Supporter Shield race. With 9 games left we play Orlando (16) ,D.C(15) twice, NE (17), FC Dal (1), CHI (19), HOU (18), and the CREW (20).

Dallas plays 3/3 of their last games against LA and SEA, plus another tough game against COL (3).

Last year 60 pts won the shield, we currently sit at 41. We would need to finish the last 9 games at 6-1-2 to finish at 61 points.

What's most annoying is we have given up the win three times with goals given up at the 95th,94th,and 91st minute, along with missing out on a point giving up a goal in the 80th minute. If we had those 10 points we would be number one by 6 points.
8 games left.

Reactions: Gavin23 and Kevin
I know we can do it but will the team execute? Their primary objective is to win something this season. Obviously, the Cup precedes all but I'm sure the Shield would be acceptable to CFG too.

We currently sit 4th (out of 20) in the Supporter Shield race. With 8 games left we play Orlando (16) ,D.C(15) twice, NE (17), FC Dal (1), CHI (19), HOU (18), and the CREW (20).

Last year 60 pts won the shield, we currently sit at 41. We would need to finish the last 9 games at 6-1-1 to finish at 60 points.

What's most annoying is we have given up the win three times with goals given up at the 95th,94th,and 91st minute, along with missing out on a point giving up a goal in the 80th minute. If we had those 10 points we would be number one by 6 points.

I just went over this myself too. 51 points. That could be awe inspiring. Hopefully we'll be like that next year with the players, tactics, and talent.

I know we can do it but will the team execute? Their primary objective is to win something this season. Obviously, the Cup precedes all but I'm sure the Shield would be acceptable to CFG too.

The Supporter Shield is likely the equivalent of the Capital One Cup for Man City. It's all about raising the cup at the end of the season.

Good post. My only nit pick is that wouldn't it just be 7 points more, not 10, giving us 48, not 51? We ended up tying those three games late, thus earning a single point instead of three. That would make a difference of +2 points, not the full three. Three games multiplied by the +2 point differential, and then add the lone tie that we should've had gives us an additional 7 points, not 10.

Would still be fucking epic had we known how to finish off the game, the only real threat would be Colorado due to their two games in hand.

Reactions: Kevin and Ulrich
The Supporter Shield is likely the equivalent of the Capital One Cup for Man City. It's all about raising the cup at the end of the season.
Perhaps.... but winning the Supporter's Shield in our 2nd season would be unprecedented. That's a nice feather in the cap and Wikipedia footnote.

Good post. My only nit pick is that wouldn't it just be 7 points more, not 10, giving us 48, not 51? We ended up tying those three games late, thus earning a single point instead of three. That would make a difference of +2 points, not the full three. Three games multiplied by the +2 point differential, and then add the lone tie that we should've had gives us an additional 7 points, not 10.

Would still be fucking epic had we known how to finish off the game, the only real threat would be Colorado due to their two games in hand.
In many ways, the first Toronto Game can also be included as a lost 2pts..... we gave up their first goal, while leading 2-0, in the 45+2 minute..... that's just as bad as giving it up in the 90+2 minute.

I'll take a good playoff run at this point. If we finish 1st/2nd I think we easily get through first round.
yeah, agreed. If we finish 3-6, I don't like our chances on a 1 game knockout, Just my gut

I's impossible to judge anyone against Colorado with such a large GP disparity this late in the season. And it does not get resolved until the very end of the season.
On Monday October 3, with both NYCFC and Colorado having played that weekend, NYCFC will have 2 games remaining. and the Rapids will have 4 left. It's a tough stretch. Colorado goes to Houston 10/8, hosts SJ Thursday 10/13 and then in Portland Sunday 10/16. They finish with everyone on 10/23 hosting Houston.
They don't get into sync until Thursday October 13. As long as Colorado is close going into October, there's no way to tell where anyone stands against them. It is a rough schedule, but you just don't know what they're going to do with those extra games. I never thought Toronto would get 6 of the last 7. Colorado almost never loses, but also only won twice in the last 9. I would not be shocked if any one of 4 teams win the Shield, and it could come down to NYC and Toronto the last weekend, but we're not likely to have even that much clarity until the last weekend..

I's impossible to judge anyone against Colorado with such a large GP disparity this late in the season. And it does not get resolved until the very end of the season.
On Monday October 3, with both NYCFC and Colorado having played that weekend, NYCFC will have 2 games remaining. and the Rapids will have 4 left. It's a tough stretch. Colorado goes to Houston 10/8, hosts SJ Thursday 10/13 and then in Portland Sunday 10/16. They finish with everyone on 10/23 hosting Houston.
They don't get into sync until Thursday October 13. As long as Colorado is close going into October, there's no way to tell where anyone stands against them. It is a rough schedule, but you just don't know what they're going to do with those extra games. I never thought Toronto would get 6 of the last 7. Colorado almost never loses, but also only won twice in the last 9. I would not be shocked if any one of 4 teams win the Shield, and it could come down to NYC and Toronto the last weekend, but we're not likely to have even that much clarity until the last weekend..
It's crazy how close MLS teams are in standings from top to mid table. I guess it's only apparent because of the playoffs but due to the GP discrepancy a lot of teams have a shot.

Supporter Shield is pretty meaningless in this league to be honest. About as meaningful as the Presidents Trophy in the NHL. The only thing that truly matters is the big and shiny at the very end.

That said, SS would be an amazing accomplishment if we were to win it. A second year club that was able to completely turn it around from an abysmal first season would actually be pretty historic.

Would be pretty funny to win something in year two that took RB 17 years to accomplish haha