2016 Supporter Shield Winner?

Supporter Shield is pretty meaningless in this league to be honest. About as meaningful as the Presidents Trophy in the NHL. The only thing that truly matters is the big and shiny at the very end.

That said, SS would be an amazing accomplishment if we were to win it. A second year club that was able to completely turn it around from an abysmal first season would actually be pretty historic.

Would be pretty funny to win something in year two that took RB 17 years to accomplish haha
Not meaningless. (1) Trophy. (2) CCL. (3) History.

Big deal.

#lazypost

"New York City FC announce world class, 50,000 seat stadium to be built on NYC's pier 40.
Sitting at my kid's swim lesson just occasionally taking a quick glance at my tablet, read this and almost jumped out of my seat. And then I read the rest.

Not meaningless. (1) Trophy. (2) CCL. (3) History.

Big deal.

#lazypost

History and trophy are unimportant and #1 in East gets us CCL. The only two accomplishments in the regular season that matter are making playoffs and getting in to the CCL.

The Supporters' Shield is a big deal. I would argue that some years it should be a bigger deal than the MLS Cup. Two years ago, Seattle beat LA at the end of the season to clinch the Supporters' Shield; they also won the US Open Cup. They didn't win the MLS Cup only because they lost to LA on fucking away goals in the conference championship round. So, you tell me who the best MLS team was that year.

There are 3 major trophies for MLS teams. I know that the MLS Cup is the more prestigious, but that has more to do with an unbalanced regular season schedule and the obsession in U.S. sports with post season tournaments as a way to crown a champion. It certainly has nothing to do with whether it's the best test for which team was the best in a given season.

The Supporters' Shield is a big deal. I would argue that some years it should be a bigger deal than the MLS Cup. Two years ago, Seattle beat LA at the end of the season to clinch the Supporters' Shield; they also won the US Open Cup. They didn't win the MLS Cup only because they lost to LA on fucking away goals in the conference championship round. So, you tell me who the best MLS team was that year.

LA had to go to Seattle on the final game of the regular season and I think Bruce rested some people, signaling that they'd give up the shield to be rested for the playoffs...and then LA beat Seattle and won the cup. Get the shield if you can, but the Cup is what matters most.

My feeling on this is that any team can win the cup, but only the best team can win the shield. That's why I'm a fan of the shield.

I'm not against the cup, but you're only eliminating a few teams by playing the entire regular season. Then you have a competition that anyone can win. Which is fun, and gives any good team a chance at it and spreads the fun around the league. No problem with that at all. But there's only one way to get the shield, and that's to be the best team over the entire season. That means something.

We've also won two games on a handball goal and an offsides goal. I'd say our luck has balanced out this season
Don't forget tackling a guy in the box in the opening minutes of our first game and getting away without a PK or a red card. That would almost certainly have turned that W into an L.

LA had to go to Seattle on the final game of the regular season and I think Bruce rested some people, signaling that they'd give up the shield to be rested for the playoffs...and then LA beat Seattle and won the cup. Get the shield if you can, but the Cup is what matters most.

I think they played 2 games right at the end of the season. Seattle won the first one, so the matter may have been largely settled by the 2nd one. No way Bruce Arena rests anyone with the SS on the line.

I agree the MLS Cup is more prestigious, but please don't try and claim that LA was the better team. Seattle went through the exact same season-long crucible as LA and did better overall and head-to-head. It was only eliminated from the playoffs due to the worst tiebreaker known to sports.