2017 Roster Discussion

So does this mean we've moved on to summer dp options?

Looks like that option is certainly in play.

What's nice is this rumor does give us a broad estimate on where the club thinks a DP's salary should be. It looks like the FO thinks a DP spot is generally worth using, in our case, if a reasonable salary demand is something between 10x and 20x (realistically 15x) of the DP's cap hit.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
Random musings Mix & Kreis related....

K Kjbert , weren't we supposed to get some clarity on Friday? Was that a guess or were you working with directed knowledge (cover your eyes intern)?

Has the absolute banishment of Mix hurt the club in the eyes of potential big players? Mix was supposed to be a higher-end player and if he was frozen-out with no public reason, then would any other players have second thoughts? Not saying they are because of Mix, but we've been swinging and missing a LOT during this window after being told lots of players want to come here.

How many more stories will come out about Kries' lack of player scouting in the years to come? Whiffing on a kid on our affiliates roster is mind boggling, especially when rated the best of the best at the African nations cup (just a small tournament with average players)???

Did the team decide to try Chanot at #6 before or after reading the forums? I was never keen on it, but it sounds like he was a rock (against an overmatched college team). And if he is used there, is that another way of saying he's a stopper, or just an advanced CB in a 3 man back line with the outside backs really pushing forward?

Has the traveling squad been announced yet?

Reactions: Kjbert and adam

Has the absolute banishment of Mix hurt the club in the eyes of potential big players? Mix was supposed to be a higher-end player and if he was frozen-out with no public reason, then would any other players have second thoughts? Not saying they are because of Mix, but we've been swinging and missing a LOT during this window after being told lots of players want to come here.

I don't think it has had or would have any effect. It wouldn't even be on their radar. PV has so much respect in the futbol world, and Mix is a nobody (with all due respect to him). The only real fodder about Mix not playing is on the Forums and within our fan base. To the extent any foreign target read/heard about it, they likely would assume that he hasn't performed up to expectation or contract or caused his own predicament (whether or not true, which is not relevant for this point). But I don't think that they would even give it much thought or care, and if they did, I am sure that whoever was pitching them would provide a sufficient explanation not shared with us.

How many more stories will come out about Kries' lack of player scouting in the years to come? Whiffing on a kid on our affiliates roster is mind boggling, especially when rated the best of the best at the African nations cup (just a small tournament with average players)???
I watched Win! (again) while traveling and was appalled (again) with how poorly he seemed to handle the job in all facets. Some of his quotes about personnel and roster were baffling, and it doesn't surprise me that he lacked the sophistication and/or expertise to scout beyond the scope of his very limited comfort zone. We certainly missed some opportunities (and likely some lay-ups like the kid from our affiliate) as a result. Thankfully, he was only able to do a year-ish of harm.

And it killed me (again) how condescending and defeating he was when he addressed the team. I won't bring up the "be the dick" speeches again, but his halftime speeches during the Orlando opener and the home-opener were actually cringe-worthy. Villa's expressions during the New England speech were priceless.

K Kjbert , weren't we supposed to get some clarity on Friday? Was that a guess or were you working with directed knowledge (cover your eyes intern)?

Did the team decide to try Chanot at #6 before or after reading the forums? I was never keen on it, but it sounds like he was a rock (against an overmatched college team). And if he is used there, is that another way of saying he's a stopper, or just an advanced CB in a 3 man back line with the outside backs really pushing forward?

Has the traveling squad been announced yet?

Wasn't a guess. Was a little bit of stale information around timing connected to both Saunders and our preseason schedule. I can tell you that my information wasn't as up to the minute as NYCFCfan NYCFCfan but that in general, the people we spoke with shared the same general sentiment that Mix would be gone before we got to Arizona.

I won't speak for Chris because it is not my place and not my information to share. What I posted was that once the Saunders contract was handled, Mix would be handled more or less immediately afterwards and before our preseason games began. Lots of ways to define "preseason games." I was wrong in my timing but the sentiment remains the same.

Wasn't a guess. Was a little bit of stale information around timing connected to both Saunders and our preseason schedule. I can tell you that my information wasn't as up to the minute as NYCFCfan NYCFCfan but that in general, the people we spoke with shared the same general sentiment that Mix would be gone before we got to Arizona.

I won't speak for Chris because it is not my place and not my information to share. What I posted was that once the Saunders contract was handled, Mix would be handled more or less immediately afterwards and before our preseason games began. Lots of ways to define "preseason games." I was wrong in my timing but the sentiment remains the same.
Is it an ongoing information stream or a one time discussion?

Reactions: Kjbert

With how on the ball the front office is at closing down leaks, its probably better if we don't know. With just what K Kjbert mentions to us a truly dedicated sleuth could probably narrow it down rather nicely. Its not just what he knows its when he knows it. Reconstructing the history of Kjbert knowing things would tell you more.

On the other hand Kjbert could likely be serving, unwittingly, as a sounding board for various ideas the club has. They leak a few tidbits to him and gauge reaction based on the forum, which we know a fair number of the front office read.

Ahh the paranoia of information, got to love it.

With how on the ball the front office is at closing down leaks, its probably better if we don't know. With just what K Kjbert mentions to us a truly dedicated sleuth could probably narrow it down rather nicely. Its not just what he knows its when he knows it. Reconstructing the history of Kjbert knowing things would tell you more.

On the other hand Kjbert could likely be serving, unwittingly, as a sounding board for various ideas the club has. They leak a few tidbits to him and gauge reaction based on the forum, which we know a fair number of the front office read.

Ahh the paranoia of information, got to love it.
Shoot, maybe JGarrettLieb JGarrettLieb is the intern after all. This whole time I was sure it was JayH JayH.

How would one gauge transfer fees and player skill without FUT ratings?

If you have little idea on a player, FUT ratings are a decent starting point. You can at least get an idea of what type of player someone is. User comments on FUT-dedicated sites will usual give you an indication if a player's rating is accurate or based on popularity.

TransferMarket is a good site to see about contracts, transfer fees and valuations.

Other than that, talking to people that follow a particular league or reading corresponding fan/sports sites are definitely good sources.

If you have little idea on a player, FUT ratings are a decent starting point. You can at least get an idea of what type of player someone is. User comments on FUT-dedicated sites will usual give you an indication if a player's rating is accurate or based on popularity.

TransferMarket is a good site to see about contracts, transfer fees and valuations.

Other than that, talking to people that follow a particular league or reading corresponding fan/sports sites are definitely good sources.
Someone should have told Kreis to check bigsoccer before he went out and got Jacobsen and Brovsky.

Starts and stops. I know things sometimes and I try to share what is appropriate. I'm not NYCFCfan NYCFCfan and I don't have constant information.

In the past I've run things by Dan and Chris to see if it was appropriate to post or in line with something they may know. I'm very careful not to overstep by boundary

Starts and stops. I know things sometimes and I try to share what is appropriate. I'm not NYCFCfan NYCFCfan and I don't have constant information.

In the past I've run things by Dan and Chris to see if it was appropriate to post or in line with something they may know. I'm very careful not to overstep by boundary
Be careful that the tidbit you check with them (and are told to keep quiet on) doesn't become the next NYCFCfan NYCFCfan breaking scoop

Reactions: adam
Be careful that the tidbit you check with them (and are told to keep quiet on) doesn't become the next NYCFCfan NYCFCfan breaking scoop
lol FWIW I always give credit to people who pass on stories (unless they don't want to be named).

As for the Mix thing, I spoke to someone else, and I'll leave the details intentionally vague, who gave me some information about Mix so I reached out to a few people but was unable to confirm it. But yes, the general gist is that Mix's situation will be clarified by the time the team returns to the US.

As JGarrettLieb JGarrettLieb mentioned, when you get info like this you have to be paranoid.

I don't think K Kjbert has a bad source because I've been able to corroborate things he's said in the past but no one is ever 100% right, things change. Maybe that was the original plan and they changed it. Anyways, I also don't have constant information. They've locked down the leaks so it's really hard to get anything from inside the FO now.

They've locked down the leaks so it's really hard to get anything from inside the FO now.

giphy.gif