2017 Roster Discussion

This is just ignorant... I agree with the mls guy completely. Didn't you ever hear you have to spend money to make money? It doesn't matter about salary restrictions when it comes to dps because no matter if their salary is 1m or 10m it still counts the same against the cap. Educate yourself my friend shoot for the stars don't settle.

So please help me with my education. I was speaking of salaries in terms of total operating expense of running the club, hence the comment that CFG has no intention of running at a massive loss. Since you are so enlightened that you feel you can call people ignorant and talk down to them please explain how DP money doesn't matter? Yes, it doesn't count against the cap but that doesn't mean it's free. You can throw around all the cliché's you want about spending money to make money but I doubt CFG plans to loose millions by signing players to wages well exceeding the revenue the club brings in.

MCFC spends $30 mil on bench players because they make enough money to cover that through massive TV deals and all their other forms of income generation.

So please help me with my education. I was speaking of salaries in terms of total operating expense of running the club, hence the comment that CFG has no intention of running at a massive loss. Since you are so enlightened that you feel you can call people ignorant and talk down to them please explain how DP money doesn't matter? Yes, it doesn't count against the cap but that doesn't mean it's free. You can throw around all the cliché's you want about spending money to make money but I doubt CFG plans to loose millions by signing players to wages well exceeding the revenue the club brings in.

MCFC spends $30 mil on bench players because they make enough money to cover that through massive TV deals and all their other forms of income generation.
One other point to throw in. I, for one, as a STH want CFG to manage the balance sheet intelligently. I know their main revenue needs to come from TV, but if they over spend on players, ticket prices are one form of collection on those debts. So CFG, please spend. But spend wisely.

I'm with you gbservis.

One other point to throw in. I, for one, as a STH want CFG to manage the balance sheet intelligently. I know their main revenue needs to come from TV, but if they over spend on players, ticket prices are one form of collection on those debts. So CFG, please spend. But spend wisely.

I'm with you gbservis.

All those sponsorship dollars must go somewhere. Where?

Reactions: Ulrich

Okay but I'm going off of what other clubs are willing to do... sure nycfc isn't in the business to take loss but this is still growing and needs to continue to grow I feel like we are the past the big name past their prime phase and going for players at their peak. As for cfg I'm pretty certain that they have more money than any other mls owner. You are telling me they are incapable of spending like la galaxy, sounded or even Atlanta on a player? By the way calling your statement is putting you down? Jesus Christ do you need a tissue... my god people are sensitive now a days. My main point is that I'm disappointed with the approach and lack of going for young in their prime players that is all. I support the same team you do and just want them to be successful and replicate what other successful teams have done.

Idk what to read into this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170208-155904.png
    Screenshot_20170208-155904.png
    399.4 KB · Views: 48
Not for nothing but there's been a lot of talk about Sands making the first team roster. Lost of praise from PV on this trip. Didn't Vancouver trot out a 15-year-old?
Yes. Alphonso Davies. From what I saw, he looked rough around the edges as you'd expect, but also very good at times. He has the advantage of being physically inpressive for his age, which helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
Yes. Alphonso Davis. From what I saw, he looked rough around the edges as you'd expect, but also very good at times. He has the advantage of being physically inpressive for his age, which helps.

Sands is actually a few months older than Davies, too. Davies made 8 appearances last year.

It really isn't that crazy to think Sands could make a few token appearances this year (5-10) at age 16 while training with the first team, be a rotational guy next year at age 17, and penciled in as a starter at age 18.

Hype is in overdrive, but plausible.

Okay but I'm going off of what other clubs are willing to do... sure nycfc isn't in the business to take loss but this is still growing and needs to continue to grow I feel like we are the past the big name past their prime phase and going for players at their peak. As for cfg I'm pretty certain that they have more money than any other mls owner. You are telling me they are incapable of spending like la galaxy, sounded or even Atlanta on a player? By the way calling your statement is putting you down? Jesus Christ do you need a tissue... my god people are sensitive now a days. My main point is that I'm disappointed with the approach and lack of going for young in their prime players that is all. I support the same team you do and just want them to be successful and replicate what other successful teams have done.
What other successful teams have spent a ton of money on DPs? I'll give you LA. Toronto? They've had one good year. Atlanta looks promising, but they haven't played a game yet. Seattle spends, but really not a whole ton of money.

Looking at the last 2 years, I believe NYCFC has spent the most money on DPs in the league (I could be wrong on this and decided to not go look it up at this moment).

Yes, our DPs lately have been older guys, but this is really our first opportunity at signing a new DP since our first year, where it seemed our FO wanted guys to sell tickets and get butts in the seats.

I bolded a statement in your quote above and will list out the following players we have signed over the last two years, along with their ages at signing:
  • Ronald Matarrita - 21
  • Maxime Chanot - 26
  • Miguel Camargo - 23
  • Alexander Ring - 25
  • Alexander Callens - 24
  • Sean Johnson - 27
  • Sean Okoli - 24
The signing older players narrative doesn't fit anymore. Yes, we haven't landed the next DP yet, but the team is taking a careful approach to it. Have patience.

We are also close to freeing up another $750k to spend on other TAM/GAM acquisitions, so more to come.

Crooks/PV/Reyna make it out to be that James Sands has a real shot to make this team. Fascinating.
The moment I saw him on the list of players making the trip to Ecuador I figured that was the case. Jacksonville was the cupcake part of our preseason, if he's still with us now that means Vieira is seriously thinking about bringing him up to the first team.

If Sands stays with the team throughout Tuscon, then he'll more than likely sign with the team. But we still have to sign our SuperDraft picks...

Reactions: Kjbert
The moment I saw him on the list of players making the trip to Ecuador I figured that was the case. Jacksonville was the cupcake part of our preseason, if he's still with us now that means Vieira is seriously thinking about bringing him up to the first team.

Very impressive, if he's truly a defender as he is listed which still seems TBD, it's amazing he has the strength to compete at this level as a 16 year old.

Mix Diskerud sent a snapchat story. He looks to be on a golf cart on a golf course, likely Arizona where his family is located.

Mix Diskerud sent a snapchat story. He looks to be on a golf cart on a golf course, likely Arizona where his family is located.
Insta* or it didn't happen

(Dammed autocorrect)

Last edited:
flowchart-4.png

Ulrich will tell you how easy it is to understand :)
32987551.jpg