2017 Roster Discussion

It might be a pipe dream but I'd probably cry of joy if we somehow got chicharito this summer! Praying for it to happen!

Any additional information on whether we are taking Badji and/or Herrera on loan.

These stories are now a week or more old, and the only thing I've been able to find is the rather dubiously sourced article below.

Manchester City intend to send new signing Yangel Herrera to MLS partners New York City FC. City chiefs believe they've pulled off a coup by signing the Venezuelan on deadline day last week. Herrera was among the stars last month at the U20 South American championships. The 19 year-old signs for City from Atletico Venezuela. The midfielder will now spend the year in the US on-loan at New York City FC.​

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/man-city-to-send-yangel-herrera-to-new-york-city-fc-4167982

Any additional information on whether we are taking Badji and/or Herrera on loan.

These stories are now a week or more old, and the only thing I've been able to find is the rather dubiously sourced article below.

Manchester City intend to send new signing Yangel Herrera to MLS partners New York City FC. City chiefs believe they've pulled off a coup by signing the Venezuelan on deadline day last week. Herrera was among the stars last month at the U20 South American championships. The 19 year-old signs for City from Atletico Venezuela. The midfielder will now spend the year in the US on-loan at New York City FC.​

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/man-city-to-send-yangel-herrera-to-new-york-city-fc-4167982
Haven't even seen anything about Herrera getting out to Manchester yet.

Reactions: Kjbert
If the Club doesn't cut him loose it will make me wonder if we got some kind of special treatment from the league back in 2015. Something that let us sign him and not have the full salary hit our books.

No special treatment.

A 750k dead spot will be like playing from behind all season. FFS, grit your teeth, pay the guy his f'ing severance, and file this in the lessons learned file.

It's such an obvious solution and clearly better for the Club that I can't think of any reason why they don't just pay him out. It just seems more likely to me that things don't work the way we think they do - i.e. that we can't really cut him now and get the salary cap relief. Maybe there is some reason in MLS's byzantine rules why his contract doesn't afford that benefit. It could also be that we aren't really shouldering all the costs because the league gave us some special benefit in order to sign him (e.g. an extra $500K in GAM each year or something similar).

I agree those seem unlikely, but to me, they are less unlikely than the Club just keeping $765K on its books out of spite or because it is too cheap to buy him out (this is the Club that has the highest payroll in the league).

Reactions: adam
It's such an obvious solution and clearly better for the Club that I can't think of any reason why they don't just pay him out. It just seems more likely to me that things don't work the way we think they do - i.e. that we can't really cut him now and get the salary cap relief. Maybe there is some reason in MLS's byzantine rules why his contract doesn't afford that benefit. It could also be that we aren't really shouldering all the costs because the league gave us some special benefit in order to sign him (e.g. an extra $500K in GAM each year or something similar).

I agree those seem unlikely, but to me, they are less unlikely than the Club just keeping $765K on its books out of spite or because it is too cheap to buy him out (this is the Club that has the highest payroll in the league).
Possible. But we also can't discount all of the synonyms for stubborn and stupid.

NYCFCfan NYCFCfan can you expound on the Mix in Arizona disaster?
Idk where the hell he is currently. But the team tried to sell him and found no interest.

If there was MLS interest it was quickly scuttled with neither the team wanting to eat part of the contract or Diskerud willing to reduce his salary.

He's expected back with the team in Tuscon, but for now i wouldn't be too surprised if he's here until at least the summer.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
Every player in Tuscon when Mix joins practice.

giphy.gif

Explains why we started targeting summer DP's. Don't expect another DP signing unless we can get him off our books. Don't see how we can afford it after our last couple of signings this off season.

This team's brain trust is brain dead. They created the biggest white elephant in the league by not playing him, which killed any trade value, and subsequently decided not to buy him out. If they don't figure out how to get him real minutes and involved as part of the starting 11, they might as well run head first into a brick wall.

Reactions: tbagger92 and adam