2017 Roster Discussion

No way Mix flinches regardless of his aspirations. His next contract will be a considerable pay cut, no way he walks away from $1.5m and I don't blame him.
The pay cut could be even greater if he spends the next two years golfing and selling hats. I am not saying that he walk away from the full amount, but instead agree to an all-in amount that is a little painful but acceptable to allow him to rehabilitate his career as promptly as possible. Otherwise he remains a lemon and damaged goods, aged two additional years. Again, that does depend on his aspirations and drive.

And none of this excuses the team if they don't, in any event, pull the trigger.

What makes it more weird is that Mix seems like cool down to earth guy. It's hard to believe that he fell out of favor with the club because of his attitudes and is giving them a hard time with moving him.

There's no doubt with each passing day of this saga the team looks more and more like the villain in this situation.

There's no doubt with each passing day of this saga the team looks more and more like the villain in this situation.
Yep. If there truly was something that "went down" behind the scenes that landed him in the doghouse, then the club should have a clause in the contract to terminate for cause. That ain't happening, otherwise they'd have pulled the trigger by now. This shapes up to them having buyer's remorse for agreeing to the wages of the contract. It's petty and spiteful.

Reactions: adam and gbservis
What makes it more weird is that Mix seems like cool down to earth guy. It's hard to believe that he fell out of favor with the club because of his attitudes and is giving them a hard time with moving him.
I've met him and talked to him over social media a lot in the first season as well as last preseason. He was very down to earth and open to support us and offered to do whatever I asked. I only took him up on the autographed jersey, which I paid for even though he offered to send one. He even agreed to meet me after the game to sign for me (in Tampa preseason). When he came out with his hats he offered me free hats to give away. Declined that as well and bought them for our giveaways. I never wanted to use him despite our good relationship.
Quarter way into the season when people started complaining about him not getting time I was unfollowed by him and reached out a few months later and didn't get a reply.
He's not speaking out but he's definitely disconnected from the club I think.
My belief is that his contract included guaranteed playing time or there was an understanding of guaranteed playing time. I think he came here with the intention of growing himself and his name on the USMNT level. With PV coming and not finding him a fit for his system it likely threw that all out of whack and resulted in issues with him/team/agent. I think that's really all this comes down to.
He made the commitment to relocate here and we used him as a selling point. Fast forward one year and we backed out of our commitment and left him in a favorable position (contract wise) and he made the decision to ride it out and have us pay out on it.

Last edited:
The pay cut could be even greater if he spends the next two years golfing and selling hats. I am not saying that he walk away from the full amount, but instead agree to an all-in amount that is a little painful but acceptable to allow him to rehabilitate his career as promptly as possible. Otherwise he remains a lemon and damaged goods, aged two additional years. Again, that does depend on his aspirations and drive.

And none of this excuses the team if they don't, in any event, pull the trigger.
Well, even PV has mentioned in the very recent interviews that it's important to Mix to get back into the national team, and he needs to play to do that. Which could be true, or just a taunt. Or most likely, both.

eta: posted before reading Dan's post. Consider this supporting that argument so far as playing for the US is concerned.

My belief if that his contract included guaranteed playing time or there was an understanding of guaranteed playing time. I think he came here with the intention of growing himself and his name on the USMNT level. With PV coming and not finding him a fit for his system it likely threw that all out of whack and resulted in issues with him/team/agent. I think that's really all this comes down to.
My theory about what happened is somewhere in this ballpark. And it came to a head after or around the Cosmos game. And it's a matter of the definition of a team player. And the agent didn't help. And there were threats and ultimatums. And there was not necessarily cause to terminate. The usual stuff. And here we are. Speculation.

Has to have something to do with him not speaking English perfectly. His tweets are so weird, I bet he said something that was interpreted wrong and it snowballed.
I've thought there might be something along those lines, too. Perhaps even something that's just cultural as much as anything else. Scandinavians (yes, I'm going to lump them together just this once), particularly Norwegians in my experience, are definitely different. I figure it's a combination of JayH JayH's theory, the language thing, and his Norwegian weirdness making him seem stand-offish and aloof.

I can only imagine the misunderstandings possible between an EASL Frenchman who learned British English and an EASL Norwegian(-American) who learned "American" English both trying to talk about playing soccer in a baseball stadium in the middle of NYC. It's like a Key & Peele sketch or something.

I have conversations every day with EASL people where I am forced to infer a lot. I have to do that with a lot of what PV says - try to figure out what he means because what he says doesn't make exact sense.

And that's not to criticize anyone's language skills. Not at all. Just pointing out how it's probably even worse when there's not a native speaker on either end.

Hell, Klinnsman lived in the US for 20 years, and he still said things in English that required significant "interpreting" on the part of the listener.

Last edited:
I've thought there might be something along those lines, too. Perhaps even something that's just cultural as much as anything else. Scandinavians (yes, I'm going to lump them together just this once), particularly Norwegians in my experience, are definitely different. I figure it's a combination of JayH JayH's theory, the language thing, and his Norwegian weirdness making him seem stand-offish and aloof.
I seriously have always pictured Mix making an "I did not come here to be the captain of the dipshits" speech in Mix prose in the locker room following the Cosmos game, thereby offending the dipshits and angering PV.

Time out. 75k for an International roster spot from Colorado. What's cookin'!?
Depends on how many we have. Last year there was a "mystery" spot that just appeared out of nowhere for Harrison.

If that's still around then this is an extra one. If it's not then it's for Alexander Ring.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
Time out. 75k for an International roster spot from Colorado. What's cookin'!?
For Ring? Or Yangel? Or both? PV's recent quote that we need more players to come in and compete or we are doomed (or close to that) suggests we may even have some more beef on the way. Maybe the latter telegraphed that the team plans to resolve the Mix saga one way or the other and we will have some more $$ to spend (like I said, my hold out hope meter is still ticking).

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
For Ring? Or Yangel? Or both? PV's recent quote that we need more players to come in and compete or we are doomed (or close to that) suggests we may even have some more beef on the way. Maybe the latter telegraphed that the team plans to resolve the Mix saga one way or the other and we will have some more $$ to spend (like I said, my hold out hope meter is still ticking).

Wasn't there some comment that the Mix scenario would be resolved this week?

Reactions: JayH and Kjbert