2017 Roster Discussion

I've thought there might be something along those lines, too. Perhaps even something that's just cultural as much as anything else. Scandinavians (yes, I'm going to lump them together just this once), particularly Norwegians in my experience, are definitely different. I figure it's a combination of JayH JayH's theory, the language thing, and his Norwegian weirdness making him seem stand-offish and aloof.

I can only imagine the misunderstandings possible between an EASL Frenchman who learned British English and an EASL Norwegian(-American) who learned "American" English both trying to talk about playing soccer in a baseball stadium in the middle of NYC. It's like a Key & Peele sketch or something.

I have conversations every day with EASL people where I am forced to infer a lot. I have to do that with a lot of what PV says - try to figure out what he means because what he says doesn't make exact sense.

And that's not to criticize anyone's language skills. Not at all. Just pointing out how it's probably even worse when there's not a native speaker on either end.

Hell, Klinnsman lived in the US for 20 years, and he still said things in English that required significant "interpreting" on the part of the speaker.

Did you see the post-match interview with Pep a few weeks back after the Burnley game? When Burnley score after basically bulldozing Bravo, Pep tells the interviewer something like "Anywhere else in the world that's his fault. It was his fault. I have to understand this." So the interviewer thinks he's tossing Bravo under the bus, but Hugh goes in deeper in his video linked below. It should start at 9:55 - 11:40 but if it doesn't for some reason just fast forward to that point. Great example of how easily shit can get mixed up with all the accents in football:

we may even have some more beef on the way.

giphy.gif

Do we really have journalists that follow the team for us?

We're not the Knicks or Yankees. I have a buddy from High School who works for the Providence Journal, a medium sized newspaper in a small US Market. He is the dedicated beat writer for the Red Sox. He follows them all around the country and files stories on them. I don't expect to have a NYT beat writer anytime soon.

Did you see the post-match interview with Pep a few weeks back after the Burnley game? When Burnley score after basically bulldozing Bravo, Pep tells the interviewer something like "Anywhere else in the world that's his fault. It was his fault. I have to understand this." So the interviewer thinks he's tossing Bravo under the bus, but Hugh goes in deeper in his video linked below. It should start at 9:55 - 11:40 but if it doesn't for some reason just fast forward to that point. Great example of how easily shit can get mixed up with all the accents in football:

That's our future coach.

Also are we still getting Badji? Don't we need an international spot for him?

Reactions: Kjbert
That's our future coach.

Also are we still getting Badji? Don't we need an international spot for him?
Badji was left off Anderlecht's 18 last week, he's not injured either. I'm guessing he'll be left off again this week.

Haven't heard anything since.

Badji was left off Anderlecht's 18 last week, he's not injured either. I'm guessing he'll be left off again this week.

Haven't heard anything since.

I'd rather have Herrera. I have a feeling we aren't getting both.

Or maybe if James Sands makes the first team, Herrera will get kicked to Melbourne instead. Our defensive midfield behind Badji would be Ring, Chanot and Sands.

I'd rather have Herrera. I have a feeling we aren't getting both.

Or maybe if James Sands makes the first team, Herrera will get kicked to Melbourne instead. Our defensive midfield behind Badji would be Ring, Chanot and Sands.
Why do you think Badji is any good? He may be, but he's the only player people have ever shown up here to say he sucks, isn't he?

And by god, we know we have signed plenty of donkey players. Yet he's bad enough for someone to make an account to warn us he sucks. That was him, right?

I've thought there might be something along those lines, too. Perhaps even something that's just cultural as much as anything else. Scandinavians (yes, I'm going to lump them together just this once), particularly Norwegians in my experience, are definitely different. I figure it's a combination of JayH JayH's theory, the language thing, and his Norwegian weirdness making him seem stand-offish and aloof.

I can only imagine the misunderstandings possible between an EASL Frenchman who learned British English and an EASL Norwegian(-American) who learned "American" English both trying to talk about playing soccer in a baseball stadium in the middle of NYC. It's like a Key & Peele sketch or something.

I have conversations every day with EASL people where I am forced to infer a lot. I have to do that with a lot of what PV says - try to figure out what he means because what he says doesn't make exact sense.

And that's not to criticize anyone's language skills. Not at all. Just pointing out how it's probably even worse when there's not a native speaker on either end.

Hell, Klinnsman lived in the US for 20 years, and he still said things in English that required significant "interpreting" on the part of the listener.

Speaking of Norwegians - Karl Ove Knausgard - very wierd author very intense very awesome. If you are into it.

Maybe Man City has been waiting to announce all these signings and loans until we announced our affiliate with San Antonio FC so we could loan the players there.

Why do you think Badji is any good? He may be, but he's the only player people have ever shown up here to say he sucks, isn't he?

And by god, we know we have signed plenty of donkey players. Yet he's bad enough for someone to make an account to warn us he sucks. That was him, right?
He didn't say he sucks. Just that he's the worst player ever to step foot on a Belgian field.

I never said he was good. His competition is an #8 (Ring), a CB who might also play at RB (Chanot), and a 16-year-old. It's more like he's our only true #6 if he actually joins up, so I penciled him in.

I said earlier that he appears comparable to Bravo.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
I never said he was good. His competition is an #8 (Ring), a CB who might also play at RB (Chanot), and a 16-year-old. It's more like he's our only true #6 if he actually joins up, so I penciled him in.

I said earlier that he appears comparable to Bravo.
And his TM value is north of a million (having been twice that a year ago) so he certainly has better than MLS talent regardless of current form and poster critique. So I would take him, but would cringe if it was for a real DP spot.

And his TM value is north of a million (having been twice that a year ago) so he certainly has better than MLS talent regardless of current form and poster critique. So I would take him, but would cringe if it was for a real DP spot.
If you're 23 in the Belgian league and have a transfermarkt value of $1mm then I am not nearly so sure. Basically, I read the same facts to mean the opposite. But I admittedly have 0 faith in our front office.

ETA: Wait, he's actually 27. And he's had 1 cap from Senegal (16 minutes) if I'm reading things right.

And to hammer home your point on the DP issue, for perspective, Andy Najar is valued at more than 4x what he is. Would anyone be super psyched if he were a DP?

Last edited: