2017 Roster Discussion

Ok I'm gong to actually (brace yourself) say something positive. *gasp* I think jack Harrison is going to absolute tear it up this year! I think he has just as much potential as anyone in our league and we are very lucky to have him!

Just want to get on record as being quite optimistic about the addition of Moralez. Whether Moralez or Harrison ends up in the spot, CAM has actually always been a concern for us. Most of our goals came from Villa putting his head down and going to goal, or Lampard poaching.

Put me down for Maxi potentially netting 10 goals and 10 assists next year. He should have a Mauro Diaz level impact if he stays healthy. At the very least, our offense isn't reliant on just one player anymore. I would be reasonably confident in our offense with Maxi and Okoli on the field.

If you want to stay a productive member here id simply recommend not being a man city troll.
Productive member? I'm just telling it like it is. Not sugar coating anything. If you don't like my post you can ignore them and scroll through. I don't tell you to respond. I know a lot of people feel the same as me

I'm a little disappointed in what it means to have this guy signed as a DP. Specifically, I won't be able to imagine all of the stellar talents we might sign because we have a DP that isn't starting in LigaMX.

I don't mind the signing that much, honestly. It's just the crushing of my dreams that hurts. And also the fact that they apparently aren't going to go after a top-level midfielder.

I'm going to go listen to Adele or something. I'm depressed.

I'm a little disappointed in what it means to have this guy signed as a DP. Specifically, I won't be able to imagine all of the stellar talents we might sign because we have a DP that isn't starting in LigaMX.

I don't mind the signing that much, honestly. It's just the crushing of my dreams that hurts. And also the fact that they apparently aren't going to go after a top-level midfielder.

I think that IF we get mix off our books in the summer we sign a next year DP to a tam contract.

What's depressing about Maxi as a DP is that the best talent is available during the summer, so if we have 3 slots filled and Pirlo doesn't go anywhere, then we either have to sign somebody on a TAM->DP contract or Maxi has to have a contract that converts to TAM in the summer.... or we miss out on bringing in somebody really talented/out of contract.

Now back to wondering about the next episode of As The World Mixes....

Said the same thing about Mix last preseason. Hopefully Maxi won't get a contract as ironclad as Mix's.

Yeah, but you were committed at that point. I think cumulatively, you predicted about 216 goals for Mix, and once you're in that deep, there's no coming back.

Meh, wait until the contract details come out, if at all. It's a bit difficult to second-guess confidently given how opaque everything is. It is definitely possible he's a DP but will make less than $1 million and could be bought down with TAM. Hell, one tweet said it would be a loan.

Reactions: adam
They are operated by the same people so I will never stop mentioning them! They sign everyone's checks

The concept of an independent business entity is really not that hard to understand.

CFG is the owner, umbrella entity, of three independently operating businesses that each have their own revenue streams and their own goals. What had happened with NYCFC's 3 superstar DP's was the corporate umbrella organization, CFG, made a strategic investing decision to allocate seed capital to one of the newer businesses. This capital was used to heighten the brand of the smaller business in an attempt to gain overall market share.

It doesn't mean that CFG is going to piss money into the wind for no reason just to sign someone with a big name.

We made the playoffs with what amounted to 2.5 DP's, so from an investing standpoint we don't really need to get another huge name in our 3rd DP slot. Just one who is energetic and knows what he's doing at a higher level.

There is no real additional incentives to win the supporters shield, a team just needs to be good enough to be sure its going to make the playoffs. Then its a home and away game crapshoot, aka an any given Sunday scenario.

Would I like CFG to suddenly get a rush of shit to the brain and burn money on Sami Khedira or the Zlatan in the middle of their seasons, yes. Do I genuinely think it has a shot in hell of happening, no.

I think that IF we get mix off our books in the summer we sign a next year DP to a tam contract.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Kjbert and adam

That is by far the most logical conclusion.

Just give him MAXIMUM POSSIBLE TAM, and then an insultingly low elevator clause to DP status next year.

For example, if you start more than 5 games and play a total of more than 500 minutes in half of a season you get DP lots of DP money next year.

Though the league has to be careful in allowing these kind of deals, because it could really be a half season ---> playoff advantage for teams with the money to take advantage of it.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
That is by far the most logical conclusion.

Just give him MAXIMUM POSSIBLE TAM, and then an insultingly low elevator clause to DP status next year.

For example, if you start more than 5 games and play a total of more than 500 minutes in half of a season you get DP lots of DP money next year.

Though the league has to be careful in allowing these kind of deals, because it could really be a half season ---> playoff advantage for teams with the money to take advantage of it.

That's not exactly how these work, according to the CBA. If the elevator clause is "reasonable attainable," then the bonus gets pre-rolled into the budget charge. LA got away with it for De Jong because it wasn't deemed "reasonably attainable." It looked like it would be easy to meet, but sure enough, he failed to trigger the DP portion of the contract.

Reactions: adam and NYCFC_Dan
That seems awfully unlikely. I suppose there is some chance a European club might want to pick him up in their offseason but not now, but it seems more likely the obstacle is his salary and in July any new club would still on the hook for 1.5 years out of 2. Is there some other factor I'm missing, or am I misjudging this? Given the failure to move him now I think the chance of doing so this summer is <10% at best.

Reactions: adam

If we get rid of Mix during the season his cap hit will be on our books for the remainder of the season. Like has been said it's been a game of chicken. We're going to budge at the last second because $1.5M or however much it is, is non-roster money. Sure it goes to the bottom line of the organization but it's pennies to CFG. It's more important to have the salary cap flexibility.

Even if Mix takes a league minimum contract, will Vieria put him in the 18, will he make it onto the field? My view, unlikely.

If we get rid of Mix during the season his cap hit will be on our books for the remainder of the season. Like has been said it's been a game of chicken. We're going to budge at the last second because $1.5M or however much it is, is non-roster money. Sure it goes to the bottom line of the organization but it's pennies to CFG. It's more important to have the salary cap flexibility.

Even if Mix takes a league minimum contract, will Vieria put him in the 18, will he make it onto the field? My view, unlikely.
Thanks for ruining my night and everyone else's.

Reactions: Kjbert
That seems awfully unlikely. I suppose there is some chance a European club might want to pick him up in their offseason but not now, but it seems more likely the obstacle is his salary and in July any new club would still on the hook for 1.5 years out of 2. Is there some other factor I'm missing, or am I misjudging this? Given the failure to move him now I think the chance of doing so this summer is <10% at best.

I've resigned myself to having Mix on the roster for another two years.

Mix would be stupid to walk away from 750k a year, especially because he's probably never going to be paid that much ever again as a soccer player.

NYCFC have clearly made this a point of principle for the organization. The NYCFC FO clearly want people to know that if you come here and screw around or don't buy into the team, or whatever got Mix benched, we will bench you and you will never see a single minute of time ever again for this club, you getting off the roster is your problem. To be fair in the soccer world this is a powerful signal to send future players who may think of joining. We don't care if you're one of our best players, comply or rot.