2017 Roster Discussion

Why do people think this is a DP acquisition? If he's working with his current club to cancel his contract or negotiate loan terms, it would seem to me that it's not intended to be a DP contract.

If I missed some news, I apologize. But I saw no mention of fees in what I read yesterday.

In the few reports I've seen, it looks like pure speculation, which I don't know why these writers automatically think he's gonna be a DP. He's borderline at best.

This would be a great move if it's not a DP signing.

If he is a DP, I hope it's part of a bigger play with another player coming in in the summer.

If he is a DP and that's it, it simply means the club overestimated their desirability. Plus we had nobody else in the pipeline and our scouting dept is suspect.

Our combined salaries last year were 21m and our revenues were 36m. I really shouldn't have to do the math here to show we operated at a loss last year (factoring all expenses). I guarantee that $15m isn't no where near enough to cover all the other expenses we had.
The majority of people here understand that we are a new franchise and we can't snap our fingers and splash cash for shits and giggles.
I'm fine with how the club is being run. Not as ok with some signings we've made but I'm fine with the amount of money we've spent to get players here. Being realistic and thinking in MLS terms we are ahead of the game as far as that's concerned.

Bottom line, stop being such a negative nancy and leave Man City out of our discussions.

Thanks for typing exactly what I was thinking in my head.

Reactions: Ulrich and gbservis
The league paid a large chunk of both those moves like they did with beckham.

And Cohiba Don has announced that the league isn't helping out with DP transfer fees anymore. (Until the Galaxy want to sign Zlatan or LAFC wants to sign Chicharito I bet.) I think MLS also helped with Dempsey's fee as well.

Reactions: Kjbert
Idk.... we are talking about spending 3.5m fee on our dp and they are about to make another 70m+ transfer fee... makes me jealous

As a Juventus fan, I get spoiled by their signings. I expect it now. As a NYCFC fan, I can only hope we become the the Juventus of MLS. But I understand it would have be relative to MLS scale.

The jealousy part is not the team's fault. It's this "whack-ass" league structure. It's an owner run league and I believe they are going to choke the potential success by forcing parity through continued restrictions. Free agency is nonexistent. TAM, GAM, DP, etc. is dumb. Plus we are never going to be in the loan game with Europe as our seasons are at different times of the year.

They have a huge opportunity right now to attack the NFL. The should make MLS Live free and figure out a way to monetize it. TV is slowly dying.

I have a simple solution for you. Follow a big team where you know they'll throw money around and be competitive every year, while also supporting your local MLS team.

Last edited:
Where does Maxi fit? If he's truly a 10, will we still play a 4-3-3 base formation? Offensively, we seemed to play a 4-2-4 last year and defensively it was more of a 4-4-1-1 where only Lampard and Villa didn't track back often.

Is he going to replace Lampard? If so, then the signing of Ring is weird because it doesn't seem like he is a true 6.

It makes sense to surround Pirlo with two box to box types. Ring may be one. This new guy seems like a pure 10 which is great. But then what are we doing with the backline?

I added the H, put it in quotes and even hyphenated it for you.
Thanks for the hyphen, it just feels a little better. Not sure about the H though although I did ponder it a bit. To me, "wack-ass" means it's wack, but moreso, whereas "whack ass" might be, uh, another thing entirely.

Reactions: Section1Guy
Where does Maxi fit? If he's truly a 10, will we still play a 4-3-3 base formation? Offensively, we seemed to play a 4-2-4 last year and defensively it was more of a 4-4-1-1 where only Lampard and Villa didn't track back often.

Is he going to replace Lampard? If so, then the signing of Ring is weird because it doesn't seem like he is a true 6.

It makes sense to surround Pirlo with two box to box types. Ring may be one. This new guy seems like a pure 10 which is great. But then what are we doing with the backline?

Staying with 4 man backline, probably take the shape of a 4-3-3 with no striker, but Maxi sitting back in a CF and Villa left. With the small space in YS, the wingers would be more like forwards though.

We don't have the quality to play a 4-4-1-1 even though I'd love to see Ronald pushed up to LM. We don't have the holding possession strength to do that. We are 1/2 speed, 1/2 talent. I still don't know what our identity is.

Thanks for the hyphen, it just feels a little better. Not sure about the H though although I did ponder it a bit. To me, "wack-ass" means it's wack, but moreso, whereas "whack ass" might be, uh, another thing entirely.

I think it could go either way lol.

Reactions: Seth

I think with our roster he'd be more effective as a winger and let Jack and Ring box to box around Pirlo.

Don't know anything about him but the reports say he can also play on the wing. Maybe he displaces Shelton/Tmac and the attacking line is Maxi, Villa, Harrison. Midfield is Ring, Pirlo and box to box guy TBD.

I think Moralez is Vieira's dream winger. A guy that can take on weak MLS fullbacks one-on-one.

If Vieira really wants Harrison in the middle, now would be a good time to shift him inside.

Don't know anything about him but the reports say he can also play on the wing. Maybe he displaces Shelton/Tmac and the attacking line is Maxi, Villa, Harrison. Midfield is Ring, Pirlo and box to box guy TBD.

If I recall, PV has said he wants to see Harrison on a midfield role. So maybe the front line becomes Maxi-Villa-Lewis (Okoli when Lewis is unavailable), with a midfield of Ring, Harrison, and Pirlo.

One thing is for sure -- PV has a ton of options for the forwards/midfield right now. Ridiculous amount of depth.

Our combined salaries last year were 21m and our revenues were 36m. I really shouldn't have to do the math here to show we operated at a loss last year (factoring all expenses). I guarantee that $15m isn't no where near enough to cover all the other expenses we had.
The majority of people here understand that we are a new franchise and we can't snap our fingers and splash cash for shits and giggles.
I'm fine with how the club is being run. Not as ok with some signings we've made but I'm fine with the amount of money we've spent to get players here. Being realistic and thinking in MLS terms we are ahead of the game as far as that's concerned.

Bottom line, stop being such a negative nancy and leave Man City out of our discussions.
They are operated by the same people so I will never stop mentioning them! They sign everyone's checks