2017 Roster Discussion

I would really love to see Maxi step in centrally behind Villa in an attacking midfield role. To play out of the back from Pirlo to Maxi to Villa could result in a ton of goals.

Playing Maxi in the middle leaves us with Jack on the right, then a rotation of TMac, Lewis, and Shelton on the left depending on opponents setup. Incredibly excited to see an injection of pace into the attack.

I would really love to see Maxi step in centrally behind Villa in an attacking midfield role. To play out of the back from Pirlo to Maxi to Villa could result in a ton of goals.

Playing Maxi in the middle leaves us with Jack on the right, then a rotation of TMac, Lewis, and Shelton on the left depending on opponents setup. Incredibly excited to see an injection of pace into the attack.
giphy.gif

Which is why I'm surprised they didn't shop (or did they?) McNamara in the offseason. He's a role player on this team, but like Mix, he is best used as a Starting XI contributory piece. His skills don't necessarily equate to a super sub role. He's not overly fast. He doesn't run at defenders. He's not a great defender.

He's just a solid piece for a good team. Probably best as a CAM in a 4-4-2 Diamond.

Reactions: mgarbowski and JayH
Which is why I'm surprised they didn't shop (or did they?) McNamara in the offseason. He's a role player on this team, but like Mix, he is best used as a Starting XI contributory piece. His skills don't necessarily equate to a super sub role. He's not overly fast. He doesn't run at defenders. He's not a great defender.

He's just a solid piece for a good team. Probably best as a CAM in a 4-4-2 Diamond.
And sound bytes suggest that PV thinks that T Mac has a great soccer mind and picks up Xs and Os quickly and instinctively, so I bet PV likes having him around because he can adjust to the constant tinkering.

And sound bytes suggest that PV thinks that T Mac has a great soccer mind and picks up Xs and Os quickly and instinctively, so I bet PV likes having him around because he can adjust to the constant tinkering.

He certainly can fill multiple positions on the field - CM, LW, RM, Sub. And on his salary, it's a great spot for us to be on. But it probably also makes him attractive to other clubs.

I think his value is as high as it's going to get, I hope we are shopping him
Will have to find a replacement for him, however. Surprisingly, he's one of the veterans and older players on our team. If we lose him, either through trade or injury, were suddenly lacking depth on our wings (especially with Lewis being gone potentially and Shelton's inconsistency).

We also lose his intangibles, such as his knowledge of the game and leadership on/off the pitch.

Reactions: Kjbert
NYCFC also gave up 16 (!!!) set piece goals last year, tied for worst in MLS history. 5 against RBNJ alone. If they regress to the mean, that is a huge improvement right there.

Not sure that's all law of averages, we are lacking in height when compared to the rest of the league, adding Maxi isn't helping. I wouldn't be surprised to see us remain below average. I am however hopeful for improvement because I believe Sean Johnson has the skills to control the box and a snatch most of the stuff in the air Saunders used to punch/flail at.

Reactions: Kjbert
So are we really sticking with the "he's never going to compete for this team again" or can we have a blank slate? I would go to war with Pirlo, Mix and Ring in midfield.

(Sure, I would still take Khedira over them. But all things considered, we could make that work.)

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2017/02/13/preseason-2017-tucson-roster-revealed

Mix has been added
Didn't see Roberto Louima or Michael Degraffenreidt

Ugh, I'm am still solidly in the camp that believes Mix is wildly over rated and wouldn't have the on field impact many in the Mix fan club like to project for him. But if there was any chance that this was going to happen and he was going to join the team for preseason they should have called him in from day 1. And if we are going to pay him, he better damn well have a fair shot at earning playing time, if he performs in practice and preseason he should have the same opportunity to earn time as any other player in camp. I'm so disgusted with this at this point.