2017 Roster Discussion

I suspect this is right. Given the lack of player mobility in MLS, I'm not sure why they would have to give him anything more than a modest raise and a few extra years on the contract unless he thinks he can get a lot more money if he had moved overseas when his original contract was up. All hail the non-free market.
Tommy Mac is the exact player that the MLS rules are designed to depress his value.

They create a market by requiring American players in the league, then artificially depress the value of that market. The MLS player's Union has to be the worst of all sports. That is textbook collusion.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
I suspect this is right. Given the lack of player mobility in MLS, I'm not sure why they would have to give him anything more than a modest raise and a few extra years on the contract unless he thinks he can get a lot more money if he had moved overseas when his original contract was up. All hail the non-free market.
If he has an Irish passport, he actually could potentially command a higher salary since he could feasibly move without an exemption.

Tommy Mac is the exact player that the MLS rules are designed to depress his value.

They create a market by requiring American players in the league, then artificially depress the value of that market. The MLS player's Union has to be the worst of all sports. That is textbook collusion.

Bingo. I also think there is a cap on the raise a player can get. Think it's something like 10-15% on a new contract

Bingo. I also think there is a cap on the raise a player can get. Think it's something like 10-15% on a new contract

That's demonstrably false and I don't even need to look at the CBA to disprove it. Case in point, Josh Saunders salary in 2015 vs 2016.

Reactions: CCMore and adam
Players making under 100k can get salary increase of 125%. 120% between 100-200k and 115% over 200k.

Reactions: Kjbert
I still stand by in-form Mix in the right system is one of our best players. Problem is he hasn't been in-form and he's in the wrong system. Watch his 2014-2015 play with the USMNT. He was phenomenal in all his matches. Whether he scored or not, he was always playing great. I vividly remember him being part of the second goal of Dos a Cero in Columbus in 2014.

So with all that said, if we are not cutting him, you absolutely have to give him a chance.

Go to around the 3:40 mark to see the Mix assist to Donovan I was referencing above.

I still stand by in-form Mix in the right system is one of our best players. Problem is he hasn't been in-form and he's in the wrong system. Watch his 2014-2015 play with the USMNT. He was phenomenal in all his matches. Whether he scored or not, he was always playing great. I vividly remember him being part of the second goal of Dos a Cero in Columbus in 2014.

So with all that said, if we are not cutting him, you absolutely have to give him a chance.

Go to around the 3:40 mark to see the Mix assist to Donovan I was referencing above.
You could convince me with his highlights from playing for us. He's like the only person other than Pirlo to ever switch the field for us.

Mehdi Ballouchy
Connor Brandt
Jason Hernandez
Diego Martinez
Tony Taylor
Federico Bravo
Steven Mendoza
Jefferson Mena
Patrick Mullins

If I were an MLS reporter, these are the people I would be reaching out to for background and off-the-record comments about the Mix Diskerud situation. Hell, try Half-Season Frank and AI, although I suspect they are the least likely to talk. But somebody on this list would be willing to say something, even if not for attribution. I can't remember: did we fire anyone from the coaching or training staff this year?

Mehdi Ballouchy
Connor Brandt
Jason Hernandez
Diego Martinez
Tony Taylor
Federico Bravo
Steven Mendoza
Jefferson Mena
Patrick Mullins

If I were an MLS reporter, these are the people I would be reaching out to for background and off-the-record comments about the Mix Diskerud situation. Hell, try Half-Season Frank and AI, although I suspect they are the least likely to talk. But somebody on this list would be willing to say something, even if not for attribution. I can't remember: did we fire anyone from the coaching or training staff this year?

No. Josh Saunders. Though he's too much of a leader and locker room presence to talk, probably. Relegated from a starter to the bench at the end of the season. He'd like to lay down some truth.

No. Josh Saunders. Though he's too much of a leader and locker room presence to talk, probably. Relegated from a starter to the bench at the end of the season. He'd like to lay down some truth.
Yeah. I left him off at first figuring he's too solid to talk, but then I thought he's got nothing to be loyal to, but then I just forgot to actually add him back to the list. I think Mullins could be the sleeper here, too. Traded mid-season and in a good spot now so no reason to be bitter, but it never clicked for him here and again there's no need to be loyal.

Yeah. I left him off at first figuring he's too solid to talk, but then I thought he's got nothing to be loyal to, but then I just forgot to actually add him back to the list. I think Mullins could be the sleeper here, too. Traded mid-season and in a good spot now so no reason to be bitter, but it never clicked for him here and again there's no need to be loyal.
Ballouchy would be a good bet, except for the "solid" argument. Since I think he's retired/playing at a lower level, he doesn't have any reason to worry about retaliation. I would also try some of the guys from year 1 who may have kept in touch last year. Based on Wingert's interview on BCR, I think he would give some anonymous dirt.

Outside shot would be Aron Johansson. He and Mix always seemed close at NT camps, but I guess he might not talk out of loyalty to Mix. And that point I guess is the other big hang-up here. Even if you got a hypothetical Wingert who knew via hearsay and didn't care at all about the club, it could be loyalty to Mix himself or just the players' fraternity.

All of that said, the dirt can be gotten as we know from the Klinnsman story after the WCQ away at Honduras. Like that one, this is a story that would work without naming sources, I think. I guarantee the reporter that broke it would break the soccerwebz that day.

Reactions: BxLio91 and adam
Mehdi Ballouchy
Connor Brandt
Jason Hernandez
Diego Martinez
Tony Taylor
Federico Bravo
Steven Mendoza
Jefferson Mena
Patrick Mullins

Poku has nothing to lose either. Completely marginalized by the team and now playing in the NASL. Maybe he doesn't talk because he hopes to one day come back to MLS, but to talk anonymously shouldn't be an issue nor cause him concern.

I guarantee the reporter that broke it would break the soccerwebz that day.
I'm mostly being facetious with the lead in quote, but:

Christian Araos ‏@Christian_Araos 14m14 minutes ago

Since no one else is attributing, #NYCFC are saying Mix Diskerud is still not a part of their plans. Story on the way on EoS.

I suspect that they are still just doing a dance, and ultimately he'll be cut at the last possible moment if necessary. It's a silly dance.

Last edited: