2017 Roster Discussion

Which is why I'm surprised they didn't shop (or did they?) McNamara in the offseason. He's a role player on this team, but like Mix, he is best used as a Starting XI contributory piece. His skills don't necessarily equate to a super sub role. He's not overly fast. He doesn't run at defenders. He's not a great defender.

He's just a solid piece for a good team. Probably best as a CAM in a 4-4-2 Diamond.
I think Mac is a little too cheap to let go of yet. He's still affordable by MLS standards, and is a guy who can start on the wing or provide some nice depth to the game day roster. I'm not sure he's a guy that is high on the list of most MLS teams, but I'd be shocked to think Mac would be let go by NYC easily, even if he isn't an everyday starter.

I think Mac is a little too cheap to let go of yet. He's still affordable by MLS standards, and is a guy who can start on the wing or provide some nice depth to the game day roster. I'm not sure he's a guy that is high on the list of most MLS teams, but I'd be shocked to think Mac would be let go by NYC easily, even if he isn't an everyday starter.
Let's all hope we aren't shocked at the new contract they signed him to. We don't know what that damage is yet.

Reactions: Kjbert
My bet is between $150-$200k.
If so, that may once again be a stretch by our FO. Hernandez and Saunders were well above where they should have been, and both were effectively bench-quality players at best. TMac, for a litany of reasons, showed he cannot pull the strings in the midfield. We also now have better wing options than him. As somebody mentioned earlier today, he's really more a situational player to use when a team bunkers, but in MLS a lot of teams press and attack.

Reactions: Kjbert
Reactions: Kjbert and adam
That's 23 on roster plus lewis, callens, and ring. Maybe Maxi and Herrera so lets call it 28. There are 20 senior roster spots. Harrison and Lewis will be on supplement roster as GA players with one supplement spot open. Sands takes one of the new homegrown roster spots if he signs. Awuah, Brown, Wingate and Gomez are eligible for the reserve spots (25-28) as they are u24.

So that rambling above may not seem coherent but it looks like its reasonable to not expect alot of cuts in the future.

I was always in the cut Mix and use his cap space elsewhere camp.

But if he's actually training with us and we're not cutting him. Give him a chance to compete damn it! It has to do more damage than good to see a guy training with you everyday in the background, but not really allowed to be with the team. I'm not sure how that doesn't affect the team's moral. They going to deny him water breaks too till he passes out? This some type of prison movie where the inmates have work together to overcome an abusive warden?

I was always in the cut Mix and use his cap space elsewhere camp.

But if he's actually training with us and we're not cutting him. Give him a chance to compete damn it! It has to do more damage than good to see a guy training with you everyday in the background, but not really allowed to be with the team. I'm not sure how that doesn't affect the team's moral. They going to deny him water breaks too till he passes out? This some type of prison movie where the inmates have work together to overcome an abusive warden?
shit he has to be a better cb/rb than white

WHAT? That means he is getting more than 2x his previous amount. My guess is it'll be a modest 95-100k, which is 10-15k more than last season. I don't think he's worth much more than that at the moment.
I suspect this is right. Given the lack of player mobility in MLS, I'm not sure why they would have to give him anything more than a modest raise and a few extra years on the contract unless he thinks he can get a lot more money if he had moved overseas when his original contract was up. All hail the non-free market.

Reactions: The Toe and Kjbert
You think he's cheap now, wait 'til our FO get done with him.

Reactions: The Toe and Kjbert
I suspect this is right. Given the lack of player mobility in MLS, I'm not sure why they would have to give him anything more than a modest raise and a few extra years on the contract unless he thinks he can get a lot more money if he had moved overseas when his original contract was up. All hail the non-free market.
He's got an Irish passport