2017 Roster Discussion

"An MLS player may be transferred or loaned at any time to a non-MLS club (subject to that club's Federation's transfer window), and subject to the consent of the player. Upon loaning a player, clubs will receive roster relief and budget space, subject to the terms of the loan."

If Mix is loaned to a Norwegian Club that pays him $250K/year, at least that $250K is off our books and can be spent on other players. I assume the FO is trying to maximize the value for Mix -- a $1.5M buyout shouldn't be the best option for the Club's bottom line.
We used TAM to buy down his salary and we don't get that back. It's not as simple as loan him for x and that frees up x in return. It would depend on how much we used how it's allocated throughout the contract and the sale/loan would be the difference from what we've paid and what we get.

Reactions: Kjbert
We used TAM to buy down his salary and we don't get that back. It's not as simple as loan him for x and that frees up x in return. It would depend on how much we used how it's allocated throughout the contract and the sale/loan would be the difference from what we've paid and what we get.
We had this conversation. Not sure the thread, but the only thing we concluded for certain is no one knows what mechanisms are in play. Also, my unrefuted theory on the allocation money situation would be that it seems unlikely that we would lose that budget space. Club uses its own money to payoff/buyout the contract, so it's no skin off the league's back. Any other outcome perverts the intention of the buyout clause, which is to relieve clubs from having a bad contract hamper their competitiveness for multiple seasons.

Aside from the $1.5M+ loss on the bottom line of the business side of the Club, why wouldn't we cut Mix?

Maybe he actually has no impact on our salary cap or GAM dollars. He is the ONLY player in MLS who has a cap charge higher than the DP threshold (including DPs). This has never been explained. That's straight from the MLSPU published wages. As we continue to hold onto him, I start thinking that he actually doesn't hit our cap out of some weird loophole Garber created for NYCFC to get Diskerud into the league.

So let's assume he has absolutely NO impact to our Cap, what does the team have to gain by eating the salary?

Maybe he actually has no impact on our salary cap or GAM dollars. He is the ONLY player in MLS who has a cap charge higher than the DP threshold (including DPs). This has never been explained. That's straight from the MLSPU published wages. As we continue to hold onto him, I start thinking that he actually doesn't hit our cap out of some weird loophole Garber created for NYCFC to get Diskerud into the league.

So let's assume he has absolutely NO impact to our Cap, what does the team have to gain by eating the salary?

Could you imagine? That would really sour me towards the league's way of doing things (even if it works in our favor). It might also make me re-think Kries' want for the allocation order if they knew they had this exemption waiting for them.

But, on the flip side of this hypothetical coin, wouldn't you do everything in your power to make the situation work with a player who as zero cap hit? Even at the expense of other players you could cut and replace. And 2 managers both relegated him, not to PV's level, but still. That's what makes me think it's not the case.

Could you imagine? That would really sour me towards the league's way of doing things (even if it works in our favor). It might also make me re-think Kries' want for the allocation order if they knew they had this exemption waiting for them.

But, on the flip side of this hypothetical coin, wouldn't you do everything in your power to make the situation work with a player who as zero cap hit? Even at the expense of other players you could cut and replace. And 2 managers both relegated him, not to PV's level, but still. That's what makes me think it's not the case.

Lol I can imagine, yes. Kreis is an idiot. I think we've learned he was a flash in the pan in a league that's a small pond. It would sour me as well, but we've seen in the past they are willing to be flexible to get guys in this league that they really want. Mix was one that they wanted for a couple of years.

To your flipside argument, I think the opposite. If a guy has zero cap hit, there is no impetus to make it work. Playing him or not playing doesn't upset the apple cart. I understand what you are saying - you get to put a guy on the field at absolutely no cost who can help you - maybe that eliminates the need to sign a guy like Ring or Herrera. But if he doesn't fit, then no skin off their backs I guess.

Reactions: adam

Given how deep we seem to be and what we've spent to get draft spots and other assets, I was wondering this myself. Ignoring the GAM/TAM clawback mystery, it doesn't seem likely we could have so many pieces in our lineup while also having Mix counted at full single-player cap charge (or more if the evidence pointing to that is correct).

Willing to give this guy a chance, but this speaks VOLUMES as to the commitment of the mothership to this club right now.

Reactions: ktdNYCFC
Aside from the $1.5M+ loss on the bottom line of the business side of the Club, why wouldn't we cut Mix?

$1.5M+ loss on the bottom line of the business side of the Club. Is your answer.

Two other possible reasons are.

1. He might go somewhere else in MLS and would be playing against us while we pay him. Considering the fact that hes a. American and b. kind of good, that is probably somewhat unacceptable.

2. No cut clause in his contract? Or if you cut there is an additional financial burden the club must pay in excess of his salary. We gave him damn near everything else apparently, that might have been in there as well.

Well FUCK.

giphy.gif

We had this conversation. Not sure the thread, but the only thing we concluded for certain is no one knows what mechanisms are in play. Also, my unrefuted theory on the allocation money situation would be that it seems unlikely that we would lose that budget space. Club uses its own money to payoff/buyout the contract, so it's no skin off the league's back. Any other outcome perverts the intention of the buyout clause, which is to relieve clubs from having a bad contract hamper their competitiveness for multiple seasons.
We don't repeat conversations on this forum. We're like respectable journalists like Araos... all fresh material all right and non judgmental of others opinions.

How hard would it be to alter my Mix jersey to say Maxi?

We are going to lead the league in goals.

We have a roster that can win games in the US Open Cup.

This was a great thread on the Mix roster situation -- I still think a loan to a Norwegian club will be our best option but it sounds like we have no way of knowing without more facts.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I count 12 internationals: Brillant, Callens, Camargo, Chanot, Harrison, Herrera, Johansen, Matarrita, Moralez, Pirlo, Ring, Villa.

The known international roster slot is 10?