2017 Roster Discussion

As you say drafts are a crap shoot but even throwing the talent evaluation part out just for a cap management approach we should have at least taken a GA player.

I think the current approach is to only use high draft picks on guys whose upside includes an easy transfer to Europe (Harrison, Lewis).

Same gamble greater potential payoff than just cap management. I like it.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
With the acquisition of Wallace and considering the fact that our wingers carry defensive responsibilities, something Moralez isn't suited for, I'm revising my lineup prediction to the following:

NYCFC-formation-tactics.png

Key backups are in parenthesis. At CM, I think any two of Pirlo, Ring, Herrera, and Sands will be on the field. Defensively, I still lean towards Chanot at RB to get Brillant on the field instead of Chanot at CB to get Gomez or Allen on the field. It's possible our defensive alignment could depend on whether Ring is in next to Pirlo (in which case all three CBs are on the field), or Herrera or Sands are next to Pirlo (in which case we can play an attacking RB).

Last edited:
With the acquisition of Wallace and considering the fact that our wingers carry defensive responsibilities, something Moralez isn't suited for, I'm revising my lineup prediction to the following:

Key backups are in parenthesis. At CM, I think any two of Pirlo, Ring, Herrera, and Sands will be on the field. Defensively, I still lean towards Chanot at RB to get Brillant on the field instead of Chanot at CB to get Gomez or Allen on the field. It's possible our defensive alignment could depend on whether Ring is in next to Pirlo (in which case all three CBs are on the field), or Herrera or Sands are next to Pirlo (in which case we can play an attacking LB).
I think it was just today that Ramos was touting how good Lewis is and how he's a game changer. Once he's available, I bet he gets a ton of playing time.

Sorry, can't remember where I read it for the link.

I think it was just today that Ramos was touting how good Lewis is and how he's a game changer. Once he's available, I bet he gets a ton of playing time.

Sorry, can't remember where I read it for the link.

I could easily see Lewis playing the spring with the U20's, then spend a month or two integrating with NYCFC, then NYCFC selling Matarrita during the summer, moving Wallace back to LB, and starting Lewis at LW the rest of the way.

Key backups are in parenthesis. At CM, I think any two of Pirlo, Ring, Herrera, and Sands will be on the field. Defensively, I still lean towards Chanot at RB to get Brillant on the field instead of Chanot at CB to get Gomez or Allen on the field. It's possible our defensive alignment could depend on whether Ring is in next to Pirlo (in which case all three CBs are on the field), or Herrera or Sands are next to Pirlo (in which case we can play an attacking LB).
The beauty of having Wallace in the lineup allows the team to drop into a more secure defensive lineup to counter a team throwing numbers forward.

I like this lineup a lot! But I think PV is sadly stuck in his 4-3-3 mindset so this won't likely happen. But damn does it looks it beautiful

Reactions: Gavin23
I like this lineup a lot! But I think PV is sadly stuck in his 4-3-3 mindset so this won't likely happen. But damn does it looks it beautiful

I think it *is* our 4-3-3. We played a "4-3-3" almost exclusively in the 2nd half of 2016, yet Lampard frequently played further forward than our wingers, just as in my diagram. Depending on who's in the lineup and the game situation, our 4-3-3 has shifted into shapes resembling 4-4-1-1, 4-2-3-1, 4-1-4-1, 3-4-3, and 3-3-4. The label on the lineup is often a poor indicator of actual play style and shape, especially in our fluid system.

Camargo doesn't even make your subs? That dude has a pretty damn good production rate (averages well over an assist or goal per 90). Obviously, doing it in Venezuala isn't impressive, but I'm excited to see him play.

Camargo doesn't even make your subs? That dude has a pretty damn good production rate (averages well over an assist or goal per 90). Obviously, doing it in Venezuala isn't impressive, but I'm excited to see him play.

I knew I was missing someone. We haven't seen him play yet so he's not top of mind. Camargo could be listed behind the starter at LW, CAM, and RW, and potential win the LW or RW spot.

Seem like a good line up. I think Vieira will start out as a 4-3-3 and will change during the match. Also, I think it's not so much a starting 11, but Vieira's approach is more like a starting 14-15 and it will be dependent on the days opponent(taking out injuries). He may want fast wingbacks in one match, and perhaps a tighter defense at other times with Chanot on the right, adding in Camargo, etc...

Reactions: adam and sbrylski
Absolutely love all the competition we are going to see this month. Chanot, & the DPs are the only ones that have a locked in a starting spot right now IMHO.

It's crazy how fast the season is coming up. We are still waiting on half the new acquisitions to get visas and join the team, but we only have three preseason games left, with the next one in two days.

Reactions: Kjbert
Absolutely love all the competition we are going to see this month. Chanot, & the DPs are the only ones that have a locked in a starting spot right now IMHO.
I would definitely say that Chanot has a locked starting spot, but at what position still remains to be seen.

Also, I would argue that Sean Johnson is pretty much locked into a starting spot, but I'm assuming you meant outfield players.

This is going to come off prickish - so I want you to know that that isn't my intention - but do you watch the games? Stats can be deceiving.
What frustrates me most about watching Khiry play is that every first touch of his seems to end up 10 feet away from his feet and then he has to scramble for the ball.

ETA: The above ©2017 Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan. Statement used with (non)explicit permission.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
Fixed. Absent are Shelton and White, who are playing themselves out of consideration. If there is anything left we need, it's one more CB to make sure White doesn't see the field.

Diskerud is 6'0. Put him on GOMAD and let him be our third CB.

Reactions: The Toe