2017 Roster Discussion

And he's back!

I'm surprised every time we write "fck" you don't cite back to the first time you posted it...

eta: Seth
giphy.gif

From Matt Doyle:

New York City FC

PREDICTED FORMATION: 4-3-3, build from the back

I imagine this team will play a lot like last year's group – slow builds, overlapping fullbacks, long diagonals from Andrea Pirlo and wingers tasked with supporting David Villa at all costs.

Right now I have Khiry Shelton starting at left wing, and I think he'll get a very shake at winning that job given Jonathan Lewis is on international duty with the US U-20s. But like everyone else, I'm waiting to see where newly-acquired Designated Player Maxi Moralez fits in Patrick Vieira's plans.

ALTERNATE: There'll be some 3-4-3 from this team, especially when Pirlo is rested.

NYCFC%20Feb%2014%20XI.png

Reactions: Kjbert
From Matt Doyle:

New York City FC

I imagine this team will play a lot like last year's group – slow builds, overlapping fullbacks, long diagonals from Andrea Pirlo and wingers tasked with supporting David Villa at all costs.

Right now I have Khiry Shelton starting at left wing, and I think he'll get a very shake at winning that job given Jonathan Lewis is on international duty with the US U-20s. But like everyone else, I'm waiting to see where newly-acquired Designated Player Maxi Moralez fits in Patrick Vieira's plans.

ALTERNATE: There'll be some 3-4-3 from this team, especially when Pirlo is rested.

Khiry, Mac and RJ, nope, nope and nope.

From Matt Doyle:

New York City FC

I saw that article and his lineup earlier this afternoon and checked to see if it was written 2 weeks ago. It seems out of date.

Last edited:
From Matt Doyle:

New York City FC

Wow he put so little thought and research time into that he couldn't be bothered to even figure out where Maxi will play.

From Matt Doyle:

New York City FC

Probably directionally correct as things stand today, provided that:
  • There seem to be enough credible sources suggesting that Moralez can play centrally, that I expect he takes the McNamara spot.

• I think the Shelton spot essentially becomes a free for all among Shelton, McNamara, Wallace and Lewis (and probably someone I'm forgetting) with playing time spread all around, at least until one or two of them distinguishes himself. That group probably also gets some time at the Harrison spot since inevitably he won't start every match due to injuries, midweek matches, etc.

• Allen feels like the weakest link, but he was good last year in the limited window between when he came back from injury and when he started playing a lot of LB, so I could see him getting the first shot. Gomez is intriguing, but I'm guessing his flaws start to come out if he gets a lot of regular time. I could maybe see Chanot out there if Brillant and Callens are playing really well. My gut, though, is that Chanot will play CB largely given that he's our best option there and its been such a weak spot. Plus, any time Callens or Brillant is hurt, then I think you need to move Chanot back inside unless Herrera can really play there. White is not an option.

TMac probably won't play nearly as much. He's smart and a nice guy but as our roster improves his lack of athletic ability shows more.

Reactions: Kjbert
From Matt Doyle:

New York City FC

He skims the surface like pond scum. I'd have a bit of respect for him if he gave a shit and actually added something to the discussion orbiting the question: How can NYCFC get the most talent on the field and still achieve PV's style of attacking soccer while not crumbling at the back? If he went outside of the box and tried two formations to counter PV's standard 433, so he doesn't look like he's simply drawing straws, then I'd give him a slow golf clap - with our abundance of midfielders, propose the 352, 442 box, or even a 361, but at least something to tie his name to.

I saw that article and his lineup earlier this afternoon and checked to see if it was written 2 weeks ago. It seems out of date.
I think it was probably written a while back. I believe he was tweeting from an airport about going on a vacation here in the last couple of days.

Viewfrom226 Viewfrom226 CAMARGO!

One of the lesser talked-about topics is Maxi's defensive workrate. We know Villa is pretty tenacious going after the ball, but if Maxi can do that, as well, we could really start causing problems. Jack had a few nice plays defensively in the attacking end, too. We could really cause some havoc this year if Maxi can give us that.

I would love for us to smother every team and press the crap out of them. Becoming a counter-attacking nightmare for opponents.

From Matt Doyle:

New York City FC

If this is for our first game, then maybe sure why not. Maybe the new guys haven't been fully integrated just yet.

But if someone thinks NYCFC signed a DP and isn't going to start that person, they're mental.