2017 Roster Discussion

If we wont sign a 3rd DP till June, can we make Chanot a DP for cap purposes for 6 months, then strip him of that status and use GAM/TAM to bring his figure down?

Reactions: Kjbert and sbrylski
8 of the 11 for the expansion list are a lock:

1. Pirlo
2. Villa
3. Chanot
4. Brillant
5. Matarrita
6. Allen
7. MacNamara
8. Shelton

Harrison is exempt (GA), leaving 8 players for the final three spots. You most likely only protect 1 keeper - most likely Lurch because you just extended his contract; Diskerud is out, leaving two spots for the following four players: Mikey Lopez, Shannon Gomez, Ethan White, Jefferson Mena.

My guess is Gomez is on there as they just pried him away from his club; no idea if they protect Mena or see if someone takes a flyer on him.

So your list most likely is the 8 above plus:

9. Johansen
10. Gomez
11. Lopez/White/Mena

Dropping all those players just made this exercise much easier.

I'd go with Lopez for #11, he had an actual role on the team last season and Mena would be helpful to lose (salary + int'l spot)

Well we have 8 internationals on the roster as of now, if the Matarrita rumors are true we have 7, and if the green cards for Johansen and Harrison are happening, we will have only 5 internationals, we would probably save one for a DP signing, which brings us 6, and we usually have around 8-10 spots, that gives us 1-4 new international signings this offseason (depending on how many we trade for and if matta leaves this offseason as well).
They're happening but they're a long ways away. It's a long process and I don't know how much NYCFC or MLS can speed it along. Don't count on it anytime soon.

Thesis what our roster looks like now from a salary perspective. If we can move Mix and Slosh (over $900k vs the cap!), we should have a lot of room to maneuver with. AND, I feel like we have 7-8 starters on our roster already, so not too much is necessary to remain competitive. Interesting, the only highly paid domestic player is Mix, and he may not be long for this team. FYI 2016 salary cap = $3,660,000.

View attachment 6186

If Chanot really is at $760K full year against the cap, then you must get rid of Mix ASAP as having two players hoovering up all that GAM/TAM is ridiculous. Chanot also needs to play like a top 5 CB in MLS to justify that salary.

If Chanot really is at $760K full year against the cap, then you must get rid of Mix ASAP as having two players hoovering up all that GAM/TAM is ridiculous. Chanot also needs to play like a top 5 CB in MLS to justify that salary.

The asterisk is because it's an estimate based on his listed salary and NYCFCfan NYCFCfan 's report on his purchase price (that I then amortized). But it's probably close to accurate. And yes, I agree that 2 players can't represent $1.5mm in cap space against a $3.7mm cap. Especially, if one doesn't play!

Reactions: Kjbert
8 of the 11 for the expansion list are a lock:

1. Pirlo
2. Villa
3. Chanot
4. Brillant
5. Matarrita
6. Allen
7. MacNamara
8. Shelton

Harrison is exempt (GA), leaving 8 players for the final three spots. You most likely only protect 1 keeper - most likely Lurch because you just extended his contract; Diskerud is out, leaving two spots for the following four players: Mikey Lopez, Shannon Gomez, Ethan White, Jefferson Mena.

My guess is Gomez is on there as they just pried him away from his club; no idea if they protect Mena or see if someone takes a flyer on him.

So your list most likely is the 8 above plus:

9. Johansen
10. Gomez
11. Lopez/White/Mena

Dropping all those players just made this exercise much easier.
Make sense. I would certainly keep Lopez over White if that's the choice because Lopez has a useful (limited) role and White really doesn't. As between Lopez and Mena, I think it turns on two things:

(1) Do you think you can trade Mena for something valuable? I don't have a good sense of this, though I'm definitely in the camp that thinks he is a much better player in different system, so it feels like you should be able to.

(2) Can you teach Mena to play in our system? As much as I like him, I don't see it. So, unless you can trade him for value, I think you expose him and see if someone takes the salary off our books.

Thesis what our roster looks like now from a salary perspective. If we can move Mix and Slosh (over $900k vs the cap!), we should have a lot of room to maneuver with. AND, I feel like we have 7-8 starters on our roster already, so not too much is necessary to remain competitive. Interesting, the only highly paid domestic player is Mix, and he may not be long for this team. FYI 2016 salary cap = $3,660,000.

View attachment 6186
Where do you see 7-8 starters? I'd like to see your list. I see 4-5, max.

The asterisk is because it's an estimate based on his listed salary and NYCFCfan NYCFCfan 's report on his purchase price (that I then amortized). But it's probably close to accurate. And yes, I agree that 2 players can't represent $1.5mm in cap space against a $3.7mm cap. Especially, if one doesn't play!
Here's one more bit of info for you. NYCFC don't fully own Matarrita.

They split the contract with Alajulense. They would have to share half of whatever profits they get from a sale with Alajulense or they can just sell their half to another team, though co-ownership has been pretty much phased out of Europe.

Not to mention MLS gets a cut.

Make sense. I would certainly keep Lopez over White if that's the choice because Lopez has a useful (limited) role and White really doesn't. As between Lopez and Mena, I think it turns on two things:

(1) Do you think you can trade Mena for something valuable? I don't have a good sense of this, though I'm definitely in the camp that thinks he is a much better player in different system, so it feels like you should be able to.

(2) Can you teach Mena to play in our system? As much as I like him, I don't see it. So, unless you can trade him for value, I think you expose him and see if someone takes the salary off our books.

If the answer to #1 is yes, you have to protect him. If he has value, letting him go for nothing isn't a good move.

They split the contract with Alajulense. They would have to share half of whatever profits they get from a sale with Alajulense or they can just sell their half to another team, though co-ownership has been pretty much phased out of Europe.

Is this materially different than a sell-on fee?

Is it that they co-own him with Alajulense or just that they gave Alajulense a sell-on fee when we bought him under which we'd have to remit part of the proceeds from a subsequent transfer back to them? I recall there had been a bunch of reports that they were haggling over a sell-on fee. Didn't realize that they didn't actually buy him outright if that is, in fact, what happened.

1. GK Lurch

2. LB Mata (but now he may be gone...
3. CB Chanot
4. CB Brilliant

5. M Pirlo
6. M Jack

7. F Villa

?8. Tmac

That's 7-8 bud ;)

Oh. You mean starters for us. I thought you meant starter quality relative to the league (and by league, I'm ignoring the bottom of the table because that's not where we're aiming to be anyway).

MLS Starter quality: Matarrita, Chanot, Villa, Mix if he's playing.

I am not convinced fully that Jack should be 90 every week. Pirlo depends on what we put around him. TMac is a decent option, but far from lock starter quality to me.

I thought MLS didn't do sign in fees? But I've never heard of them not allowing co-ownership

Make sure you break it down. They do not represent 1.5mm in cap space. They represent ~832k in cap space with GAM/TAM utilized in order to get them back under.

In Chanot's case we have definitely used the much more resteicted TAM in order to buy down his contract. In Mix's case we have used precious precious GAM in order to make it work.

My question is do we get the GAM we burnt on Mix back if we sell, trade or don't protect him? Under what conditions might we reclaim lost GAM or is it a completely sunk cost?

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
I'm still holding out hope that Mix plays for us in 2017. I base this on the silence coming from both camps. Neither the team or the player/agent has made any public noise regarding his situation.
If he was just completely being shut out by the team, why wouldn't the agent be making noise looking for a trade? If he was a total prick and not doing what the team asked of him, why wouldn't the team make that public? like they have for the Drogba situation, etc.

All we have is Frank saying he respects him for this year.

It solves a lot of our roster problems if we get him back on the field