2017 Roster Discussion

If we wont sign a 3rd DP till June, can we make Chanot a DP for cap purposes for 6 months, then strip him of that status and use GAM/TAM to bring his figure down?

This post didn't get enough notice. It could also be a way to keep Mix for another half season without spending any allocation money, if for some reason we want/need to keep him for another half season.

But saving what could be a couple hundred thousand GAM/TAM thru this move would be very shrewd.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Salary Cap charges of the players moved out today.

Jason Hernandez - $210,000 - option declined
Stevin Mendoza - $207,276 - loan not extended
Diego Martinez - $135,000 - option declined
Frederico Bravo - $110,000 - loan not extended
Tony Taylor - $91,875 - option declined
Connor Brandt - $53,472 - option declined

Worth noting that Ethan White and Mikey Lopez are on new deals. They made $61,500 and $52,500, respectively, this year, but are probably getting a little more in 2017.

Also worth noting that the following players were not part of any announcement today, which suggests that they're contracts did not have a club option year, so they are still under contract on the same basic terms.

Andrea Pirlo - $5,915,690
David Villa - $5,610,000
Mix Diskerud - $761,250
Maxim Chanot - $383,004
Jefferson Mena - $231,400
Jack Harrison - $160,500
Josh Saunders - $150,000

Finally, of the guys whose options the Club picked up, only Brillant had a budget charge over $100K. He was at $299K.

This post didn't get enough notice. It could also be a way to keep Mix for another half season without spending any allocation money, if for some reason we want/need to keep him for another half season.

But saving what could be a couple hundred thousand GAM/TAM thru this move would be very shrewd.

Agree. Not sure if it is allowed, but it would save us some TAM for sure.

Thank you sir, I try...

Reactions: Kjbert
Reports: NYCFC are looking to purchase remaining stake in Ronald Matarrita

New York City FC only purchased half of Ronald Matarrita’s contract last season and are looking to secure full ownership of the player, La Nación reports.

NYCFC have made a $350,000 offer to Alajuelense for full ownership of Matarrita’s contract. That was declined.​

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/repor...se-remaining-stake-in-ronald-matarrita-55945/

There is also this tidbit from Christian Araos' article on today's roster moves.

Defender Ethan White and midfielder Mikey Lopez have both agreed to new contracts. City will not buyout Mix Diskerud’s contract this offseason. The door remains open for him to be selected in the expansion draft, transferred or traded. However, his $750,000 annual salary requires MLS teams to use allocation money if acquired, which has deterred their interest.​

I personally suspect he is jumping to conclusions based only on the fact that there was no official Mix news today, but maybe he is reporting something from the inside.

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/nycfc-makes-roster-announcements-55934/

There is also this tidbit from Christian Araos' article on today's roster moves.

Defender Ethan White and midfielder Mikey Lopez have both agreed to new contracts. City will not buyout Mix Diskerud’s contract this offseason. The door remains open for him to be selected in the expansion draft, transferred or traded. However, his $750,000 annual salary requires MLS teams to use allocation money if acquired, which has deterred their interest.​

I personally suspect he is jumping to conclusions based only on the fact that there was no official Mix news today, but maybe he is reporting something from the inside.

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/nycfc-makes-roster-announcements-55934/

Completely jumping to conclusions. Maybe Mix agrees to move to Atlanta or Minnesota during the Expansion Draft so NYCFC doesn't have to buyout his contract.

New York City FC only purchased half of Ronald Matarrita’s contract last season and are looking to secure full ownership of the player, La Nación reports.

NYCFC have made a $350,000 offer to Alajuelense for full ownership of Matarrita’s contract. That was declined.​

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/repor...se-remaining-stake-in-ronald-matarrita-55945/

Smart move by the club. Depending on any sale on agreements, NYCFC will make to max out of the amount of money they can keep for GAM and TAM purposes as the league gets a cut.

Reactions: Christopher Jee

Question on this potential purchase of half his contract - would the funds spent on this count against his cap figure? Or is it just shadow money that has no effect on the cap figure?

If it doesn't count against the cap, then you are essentially turning club funds into potential GAM down the line. For example - spend $500k non-cap funds to purchase contract, then sell him on later for $3M and get $2M back (of which $650k is the max GAM for any transaction). Poof you just "created" $650k of GAM.

Completely jumping to conclusions. Maybe Mix agrees to move to Atlanta or Minnesota during the Expansion Draft so NYCFC doesn't have to buyout his contract.

Mix also cannot be bought out until after the MLS Cup final (Dec 10). You'd wait to see if he goes in expansion draft first to save some $$.

Not sure when buyout period ends, but it must be after transfer window opens, right?

So now I've heard that "Mix will be on the club next season" and "Mix will never play a game for NYCFC again" on the rumor mill. We're just getting warmed up!

Reactions: Schwallacus
Question on this potential purchase of half his contract - would the funds spent on this count against his cap figure? Or is it just shadow money that has no effect on the cap figure?

If it doesn't count against the cap, then you are essentially turning club funds into potential GAM down the line. For example - spend $500k non-cap funds to purchase contract, then sell him on later for $3M and get $2M back (of which $650k is the max GAM for any transaction). Poof you just "created" $650k of GAM.

I was thinking the same. If we don't keep him for next season and sell him in the January window (while owning 100%), that feels like what happens. Worst case scenario, the costs of buying out the 50% are amortized over the remainder of his contract and we're only hit for one year or a portion of the buyout fee.

So now I've heard that "Mix will be on the club next season" and "Mix will never play a game for NYCFC again" on the rumor mill. We're just getting warmed up!
Has anyone with actual sources said the latter? Not suggesting writers are always right, but all the "Mix will never see the field again" talk I can recall has been forum chatter or speculation, not reporting.

Has anyone with actual sources said the latter? Not suggesting writers are always right, but all the "Mix will never see the field again" talk I can recall has been forum chatter or speculation, not reporting.

If he was going to see the field again, he would have seen the field again. There were ample opportunities to play him over the last third of the season, but they did not.

I honestly toyed with the notion that there was some kind of MLS suspension in place that they didn't announce, which would explain him playing in the only two non-MLS games of the year. However, this ignores that he was out of favor with Vieira even before he was relegated to the bench.

And I say this as a guy who really likes Mix both as a person and a player.

If he was going to see the field again, he would have seen the field again. There were ample opportunities to play him over the last third of the season, but they did not.

I honestly toyed with the notion that there was some kind of MLS suspension in place that they didn't announce, which would explain him playing in the only two non-MLS games of the year. However, this ignores that he was out of favor with Vieira even before he was relegated to the bench.

And I say this as a guy who really likes Mix both as a person and a player.
Doesn't answer the question I asked, and easily countered with "then why play him in Mexico/bring him on road trips/etc." It's all speculation by outsiders.

My money is that we use the our one MLS roster rule allowed waive during the offseason on Saunders. Why?

1. Mix has a no-trade, no-waive, guaranteed contract, so unless he wants to leave, he's sticking in New York. Also, he has more on field potential for Vieira than Saunders (just on talent and age).
2. We've seen that Vieira is no longer considering Saunders as the clear cut number one keeper heading into 2017. So, why keep that much salary for a backup.
3. NYCFC exercised the option on Eirik Johansen. They want him, international spot (for now) and all.
4. Look at the player options that were not exercised, they were all bench players mainly with contract sizes similar to Saunders. That's the category he will fall into in 2017. And a backup goalkeeper rarely plays, see Eirik in 2016. Even with the packed schedule, Saunders always started until the last game of the season (and the Open Cup).

Unless he retires, or is picked up in the Expansion Draft, or we can work a trade, it would be the best way to utilize that rule for NYCFC heading into 2017.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same. If we don't keep him for next season and sell him in the January window (while owning 100%), that feels like what happens. Worst case scenario, the costs of buying out the 50% are amortized over the remainder of his contract and we're only hit for one year or a portion of the buyout fee.
Wouldn't we be worse off (net) with regard to cap space? I admit to not having the most exacting knowledge of the rules, but:

Scenario #1 (Buy out the other 1/2)
  • We invest 300k real money and get back 2m real money for a net gain of 1.7m real money.
  • We get 650k in cap money but lose 300k in cap money over x years for a net gain of 350k cap money because the added transfer fee is amortized over the length of his contract.
Scenario #2 (Let Alajualense keep 1/2)
  • We get back 2m of which we get to keep 1m for a net gain of 1m real money.
  • We make a net gain of 650k in cap money.
For an organization like CFG, 350k in cap money is easily worth more than 700k in real money. Even if the remaining fee is amortized over the total length vs. the remaining length of the contract, we're still trading off invaluable cap money for real money.

The only way this deal seems to make sense to me is if we don't plan for Matarrita's salary plus fee to hit the cap at all:

Scenario #3 (We buy the other 1/2 and sell Matarrita before the season starts)
  • As above, net gain of 1.7m real money.
  • As above we gain 650k in cap money but because we sell Matarrita it never hits the cap so net gain is 650k in cap money.
I would hate to lose Mata after just a year without any LB option (or depth) in sight, so I hope I'm missing something obvious :/