2017 Roster Discussion

Doesn't answer the question I asked, and easily countered with "then why play him in Mexico/bring him on road trips/etc." It's all speculation by outsiders.
I can't say why they played him in Mexico but I know for a fact that Mix wasn't brought on all road trips. As best as I can remember, he pretty much went everywhere the team drove and didn't fly with them anywhere. It started happening after NYC returned from their west coast trip. (Excluding Toronto which was a charter flight)

Makes sense as if he's not in the 18 and there's no chance of playing him, there's no reason to buy him a plane ticket.

Wouldn't we be worse off (net) with regard to cap space? I admit to not having the most exacting knowledge of the rules, but:

Scenario #1 (Buy out the other 1/2)
  • We invest 300k real money and get back 2m real money for a net gain of 1.7m real money.
  • We get 650k in cap money but lose 300k in cap money over x years for a net gain of 350k cap money because the added transfer fee is amortized over the length of his contract.
Scenario #2 (Let Alajualense keep 1/2)
  • We get back 2m of which we get to keep 1m for a net gain of 1m real money.
  • We make a net gain of 650k in cap money.
For an organization like CFG, 350k in cap money is easily worth more than 700k in real money. Even if the remaining fee is amortized over the total length vs. the remaining length of the contract, we're still trading off invaluable cap money for real money.

The only way this deal seems to make sense to me is if we don't plan for Matarrita's salary plus fee to hit the cap at all:

Scenario #3 (We buy the other 1/2 and sell Matarrita before the season starts)
  • As above, net gain of 1.7m real money.
  • As above we gain 650k in cap money but because we sell Matarrita it never hits the cap so net gain is 650k in cap money.
I would hate to lose Mata after just a year without any LB option (or depth) in sight, so I hope I'm missing something obvious :/

Well said. I was thinking scenario 3. Only because I'm assuming that the cap hit doesn't occur till the some time after the draft and before the season starts when the cap locks. So if we at least sell him before the draft (and maybe with a short window after), we should be able to avoid the cap hit. But I don't know the exact rules either or if they are written down in public anywhere, so it's just an assumption. Where's that intern?

Reactions: Kjbert
Unless he retires, or is picked up in the Expansion Draft, or we can work a trade, it would be the best way to utilize that rule for NYCFC heading into 2017.

I think the team is probably hoping that he gets picked up in the expansion draft. An expansion team could see value in an experienced league starter (with a somewhat reasonable choice contract).

If Johansen is the starter, $150k is way too much to have invested in a backup at that position.

I can't say why they played him in Mexico but I know for a fact that Mix wasn't brought on all road trips. As best as I can remember, he pretty much went everywhere the team drove and didn't fly with them anywhere. It started happening after NYC returned from their west coast trip. (Excluding Toronto which was a charter flight)

Makes sense as if he's not in the 18 and there's no chance of playing him, there's no reason to buy him a plane ticket.
Yeah, I'm not going to go back and check either. :)

Reactions: Kjbert and NYCFCfan
Hopefully we can loan Mix to a Tippeligaen team for all or most of his salary and get 1/2 back from MLS. I don't get what is going on with Mix but $375K is probably the best we can hope for.

I think the team is probably hoping that he gets picked up in the expansion draft. An expansion team could see value in an experienced league starter (with a somewhat reasonable choice contract).

If Johansen is the starter, $150k is way too much to have invested in a backup at that position.

Definitely true, but it helps if your starter is only making $62,500.

Wouldn't we be worse off (net) with regard to cap space? I admit to not having the most exacting knowledge of the rules, but:

Scenario #1 (Buy out the other 1/2)
  • We invest 300k real money and get back 2m real money for a net gain of 1.7m real money.
  • We get 650k in cap money but lose 300k in cap money over x years for a net gain of 350k cap money because the added transfer fee is amortized over the length of his contract.
Scenario #2 (Let Alajualense keep 1/2)
  • We get back 2m of which we get to keep 1m for a net gain of 1m real money.
  • We make a net gain of 650k in cap money.
For an organization like CFG, 350k in cap money is easily worth more than 700k in real money. Even if the remaining fee is amortized over the total length vs. the remaining length of the contract, we're still trading off invaluable cap money for real money.

The only way this deal seems to make sense to me is if we don't plan for Matarrita's salary plus fee to hit the cap at all:

Scenario #3 (We buy the other 1/2 and sell Matarrita before the season starts)
  • As above, net gain of 1.7m real money.
  • As above we gain 650k in cap money but because we sell Matarrita it never hits the cap so net gain is 650k in cap money.
I would hate to lose Mata after just a year without any LB option (or depth) in sight, so I hope I'm missing something obvious :/

Well said. I was thinking scenario 3. Only because I'm assuming that the cap hit doesn't occur till the some time after the draft and before the season starts when the cap locks. So if we at least sell him before the draft (and maybe with a short window after), we should be able to avoid the cap hit. But I don't know the exact rules either or if they are written down in public anywhere, so it's just an assumption. Where's that intern?

So, here are a few thoughts on benefits when :( we sell Matarrita. Hopefully, this is not for another year, but if they are working on buying the last 50%, then it might well be sooner.

We paid $525,000 to get 50% of his value plus the right to play him and make decisions about selling him on. We have apparently offered $350,000 for the other 50%. This is low, but remember that some of what we paid for originally were the other rights that came with the deal, and not just his resale value. If his transfer value had remained flat, we could probably get the other 50% for less than $525,000. However, since his value has increased, we will have to pay more - let's assume we could get the other 50% for another $750,000.

Under MLS rules, we would get to keep two-thirds of the amount received from selling him on, less any acquisition costs. I assume the deduction for acquisition costs doesn't count costs that we've already "spent" against our salary cap (i.e. if we amortized one-quarter of the $525,000 in 2016, then we would only deduct the other three-quarters from the amount received). Further complicating things is a clause I found in the MLS rules that says you can only amortize purchase costs for one player each year, so it is possible we took the full $525,000 up front and amortized another player - such as Chanot. I will assume we did not.

Taking all that into consideration, here are two scenarios - one where we buy the other 50%, and one where we don't. These assume a sale price of $2.5 million.

Scenario A
Proceeds from Sale: $2,500,000
Less 50% to Alajuelense: $1,250,000
Less Original Acquisition Costs: $393,750 (75% of $525,000)
Net Proceeds: $856,250
MLS Portion (one-third): $285,417
NYC Portion (two-thirds): $570,833*
* - This is less than the $650,000 GAM maximum, so all of it can be used as GAM

Scenario B

Less New Acquisition Costs: $750,000
Net Proceeds: $1,356,250
MLS Portion (one-third): $452,083
NYC Portion (two-thirds): $904,167
NYC GAM Maximum: $650,000
NYC General Funds: $254,167

You can see that if all NYC cares about is maximizing salary cap benefits, then they would be willing to pay a considerable amount for the other 50%; even going as high as $1.1 million might not affect the GAM received. Of course, they are also running a business, and money that goes into the Club's general funds can help pay for the Academy, lobbying for the Stadium, etc.

So after these roster moves this is our depth in each position (assuming 4-3-3 will be our base formation again).
If there is a ?? for starter but a player listed as backup it means i think we need a player of starting quality for this position.
Players listed in italics can play this position although have been listed under another position that they are more likely to play at.
GK: Johansen, Saunders, Rawls
-There is a reasonable chance Saunders is traded etc so a backup GK may well be necessary.

LB: Matarrita, ??, Allen
RB: Allen, Gomez, White
CB: Brilliant, Chanot, Mena, ??
DEF: ?? (Extra defender for depth who could play multiple positions)
-We could do with an extra player who could cover RB as Gomez is promising but untested at MLS level.

CDM: ??, Lopez
CM: Pirlo, Lopez, Mix
CM: ??, McNamara
-It is highly likely Mix will not be here next season so we could need an extra player on top of what is listed. A box to box CM and a CDM would be high priority.

LW: McNamara, ??
RW: Harrison, Shelton, Gomez
ST: Villa, ??
-I list that we need an extra ST however this could be solved by having an extra winger who could play as ST as Villa will most likely start every game as ST unless a big name player e.g. Torres was signed shifted Villa to the wing.
-Bringing in a 3rd attacker for depth could come in handy.

These are my thoughts on what we are going to need to look to bring in next season. I would like to see us go for an athletic DP midfielder who has a decent goalscoring record and use the Mix money (assuming we can get rid of him) on a solid CDM. Although some may prefer an attacker i think solidifying our midfield is crucial as our front 3 is 1 of the best in the mls. Last season our midfield was often overrun which is why we conceded so many goals imo.

So after these roster moves this is our depth in each position (assuming 4-3-3 will be our base formation again).
If there is a ?? for starter but a player listed as backup it means i think we need a player of starting quality for this position.
Players listed in italics can play this position although have been listed under another position that they are more likely to play at.
-There is a reasonable chance Saunders is traded etc so a backup GK may well be necessary.

-We could do with an extra player who could cover RB as Gomez is promising but untested at MLS level.

-It is highly likely Mix will not be here next season so we could need an extra player on top of what is listed. A box to box CM and a CDM would be high priority.

-I list that we need an extra ST however this could be solved by having an extra winger who could play as ST as Villa will most likely start every game as ST unless a big name player e.g. Torres was signed shifted Villa to the wing.

These are my thoughts on what we are going to need to look to bring in next season. I would like to see us go for an athletic DP midfielder who has a decent goalscoring record and use the Mix money (assuming we can get rid of him) on a solid CDM. Although some may prefer an attacker i think solidifying our midfield is crucial as our front 3 is 1 of the best in the mls. Last season our midfield was often overrun which is why we conceded so many goals imo.
I think White is supposedly a CB who can play RB if needed.

I believe the team has made comments indicating Harrison will be a CM.

I'm glad that

Shelton could be played as a box to box midfielder. He can certainly get the ball upfield. Though I agree that it's more likely that we get a DP for that position.

Shelton could be played as a box to box midfielder. He can certainly get the ball upfield....

.....And then put his head down and dribble and dribble some more and then not pass and then keep dribbling and then end up in the corner with his head down and 2 defenders around him taking the ball away.

All joking aside, he looks best when he's on the attack getting the ball with space to use his speed. He's a talented player who played ST for the majority of his college career and seems most comfortable as a finisher. Finding the right pass at the right time is a skill he's still working to master even as an attacking winger. I'm not sure he's ready to play in our midfield setup where we work the ball out of the back and up the field with passes.

Of course, they are also running a business, and money that goes into the Club's general funds can help pay for the Academy, lobbying for the Stadium, etc.
what do you mean by this? are lobbying academy and stadiums costs controlled by the league as well? Like do they hit our cap structure somehow? Because sorry to talk out my ass here like i know what super rich people think, but what is a couple million dollars to shiek mansour?

edit: I just ran the numbers in a very unscientific and simple ratio, 2mm to this guy is like 50 bucks to me. Yea I'd like to keep it in my pocket, but sometimes life events require me to burn a 50, no biggie.

Last edited:
They said they wanted to go younger right before they got Pirlo
Tom in Fairfield CT What Would You Do if you were notified by the club that they picked you for Day with my Andrea?? Where you got to go to his fancy townhouse go behind the scenes of Yankee Stadium then go to the NYCFC offices ending up with a fabulous Italian Dinner at NY finest restaurants ???? All the while being told you were going to receive a bottle of every kind or his wine!!

How would your 2 faces handle that ?? I see how you are and I deal with it because It's you ! But you know Damn well How I am ! So if you could take a moment to think about what I asked you and answer Please my old X foe !!

THANK YOU !!

G George, I like your post. Here is my version.

We have 17 players on the roster. We can go as high as 28 or stay as low as 18. The below assumes we go to 26. Positions of need are marked "X#", with the # indicating order of priority.

GK: Johanson, Saunders, Rawls
LB: Matarrita, [X6]
RB: Allen, Gomez
CB: Chanot, Brilliant, Mena, [X7]
Utility Defender: White

CDM: [X1], Lopez
CM: Pirlo, [X2], Mix, [X7]
Utility Midfielder: [X4

LW: McNamara, [X3]
ST: Villa, [X9]
RW: Harrison, [X5]
Utility Forward: Shelton

Of course, some of this is fluid. If the Club moves either of Harrison or McNamara back to midfield, then that fills up X2, but makes wing a high priority. If Mix goes, then there is another X in central midfield, and those spots become most important.

All joking aside, he looks best when he's on the attack getting the ball with space to use his speed. He's a talented player who played ST for the majority of his college career and seems most comfortable as a finisher.
This. G George why didn't you have Shelton as your backup ST?

So, here are a few thoughts on benefits when :( we sell Matarrita. Hopefully, this is not for another year, but if they are working on buying the last 50%, then it might well be sooner.

We paid $525,000 to get 50% of his value plus the right to play him and make decisions about selling him on. We have apparently offered $350,000 for the other 50%. This is low, but remember that some of what we paid for originally were the other rights that came with the deal, and not just his resale value. If his transfer value had remained flat, we could probably get the other 50% for less than $525,000. However, since his value has increased, we will have to pay more - let's assume we could get the other 50% for another $750,000.

Under MLS rules, we would get to keep two-thirds of the amount received from selling him on, less any acquisition costs. I assume the deduction for acquisition costs doesn't count costs that we've already "spent" against our salary cap (i.e. if we amortized one-quarter of the $525,000 in 2016, then we would only deduct the other three-quarters from the amount received). Further complicating things is a clause I found in the MLS rules that says you can only amortize purchase costs for one player each year, so it is possible we took the full $525,000 up front and amortized another player - such as Chanot. I will assume we did not.

Taking all that into consideration, here are two scenarios - one where we buy the other 50%, and one where we don't. These assume a sale price of $2.5 million.

Scenario A
Less 50% to Alajuelense: $1,250,000
Net Proceeds: $856,250
MLS Portion (one-third): $285,417
NYC Portion (two-thirds): $570,833*
* - This is less than the $650,000 GAM maximum, so all of it can be used as GAM

Scenario B

Less New Acquisition Costs: $750,000
Net Proceeds: $1,356,250
MLS Portion (one-third): $452,083
NYC Portion (two-thirds): $904,167
NYC GAM Maximum: $650,000
NYC General Funds: $254,167

You can see that if all NYC cares about is maximizing salary cap benefits, then they would be willing to pay a considerable amount for the other 50%; even going as high as $1.1 million might not affect the GAM received. Of course, they are also running a business, and money that goes into the Club's general funds can help pay for the Academy, lobbying for the Stadium, etc.
Great analysis. But can you explain to me why Alajuelense would sell their 50% right now for anything short of 1.25M? I don't get all of these cases that rest on them selling low with news leaks all pointing toward value being high.

slcgNJh.jpg

Mata likes NYCFC buying out his whole contract :D?!

Great analysis. But can you explain to me why Alajuelense would sell their 50% right now for anything short of 1.25M? I don't get all of these cases that rest on them selling low with news leaks all pointing toward value being high.
who do you think is leaking these numbers to get more money out of us?

Reactions: FootyLovin