2017 Roster Discussion

Here's a question. According to the article linked below, Frederico Bravo's contract with Boca ends next week. So, why would we have to pay $1 million to get him on a transfer?

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/federico-bravo-says-an-nycfc-return-still-possible-56281/
My understanding is that every loan to or within MLS requires a purchase option. I suppose this is to meet those requirements.

Or it could be more like what Falastur mentioned which makes a lot of sense looking at it from the outside.

Reactions: Kjbert
My understanding is that every loan to or within MLS requires a purchase option. I suppose this is to meet those requirements.

Or it could be more like what Falastur mentioned which makes a lot of sense looking at it from the outside.
I believe it is more of a guideline than a rule these days. In the past, the league took a hardline on requiring a purchase option. However, I believe the Julio Caesar loan to TFC, the Damari loan to RBNY this year, and our EDS loans year 1 did not have purchase options.

Someone debunked this on Reddit the other day. The conclusion was teams were allowed up to 2 loans per year without a buy option. I can't dig out the source right now while at work though.

Someone debunked this on Reddit the other day. The conclusion was teams were allowed up to 2 loans per year without a buy option. I can't dig out the source right now while at work though.
Found the source

http://www.metro.us/new-york/red-bu...g-through-mls-rulebook/zsJphi---03ivUxVflpYs/

"As a part of MLS rules, each team is allowed two players on loan with no option to buy, meaning that it is a loan and only a loan and that the player will return back to the original club at the end of the deal. MLS doesn’t want to become a league where players go on loan from bigger teams around the world, essentially becoming a feeder league. So they want as many loan options as possible to become permanent. But they allow for two loans each year, per team, that are loans in the purest meaning of the word."

I prefer MLS on ESPN. I think the exposure to the average sports fan and possible growth ABC/ESPN provides makes it a great partner, even at a lesser rate then other networks. I think the NHL's biggest mistake was moving away from ESPN. They not only found their games on networks some fans did not have or could not find, but they also lost precious coverage on shows like Sportcenter, as without the need to plug their own product, ESPN filled the time with MLB, NFL, and NBA highlights. Also, The MLS network is hopefully on the horizon. Besides highlight shows and analysis, they could fill it with content from previous years' matches or replay all the weeks matches on loop like the NFL does over the course of a week in the season.

I wish NBC would win it - their EPL coverage it top-notch with every game showing over multiple channels. That's the way it should be. And their pre/post game coverage & analysis is great too.
NBC is honestly the reason why the EPL is the foreign league I watch the most. The Fox Sports coverage of Bundesliga isn't too bad. La Liga on BeIn? Forget about it. Ray Hudson is great, but that network is a dumpster fire.

NBC is honestly the reason why the EPL is the foreign league I watch the most. The Fox Sports coverage of Bundesliga isn't too bad. La Liga on BeIn? Forget about it. Ray Hudson is great, but that network is a dumpster fire.
I agree with that. I have begun watching more Bundesliga because it has the most Americans, but Fox ain't fooling anyone with their international English feed broadcast and Ian pretending to talk to them. So damn silly.

Maybe I'm simple, but give me commentators from/hired in the good ol' USA at the stadium, and I'm in.

Bein is coming up quick, though. The fact that you mention them in the same conversation is a pretty big deal.

I agree with that. I have begun watching more Bundesliga because it has the most Americans, but Fox ain't fooling anyone with their international English feed broadcast and Ian pretending to talk to them. So damn silly.

Maybe I'm simple, but give me commentators from/hired in the good ol' USA at the stadium, and I'm in.

Bein is coming up quick, though. The fact that you mention them in the same conversation is a pretty big deal.

BeIN needs to be part of regular cable package. I have ESPN, NBCSN, FS1, why don't I have BeIN?

Arlo White used to call Sounders games

Ray Hudson is great, but that network is a dumpster fire.
Oh man, I actually really enjoy the "cable access with a graphics budget" feel of BeIN. It makes me feel like I'm getting a slightly underground product.

NBC is killing it with the EPL coverage, true. Currently the gold standard. Fox's coverage of the Bundesliga is... Acceptable? Feels like an afterthought, and they shunt most matches to FS2 which, in many places, is still standard definition.

Oh man, I actually really enjoy the "cable access with a graphics budget" feel of BeIN.
Yeah, I think that heavy graphics plus Ray Hudson would kind of be like finding an alligator in your toilet bowl, and be all over you like a hungry Rottweiler. I prefer a touch so soft that you can shave a mouse with it. The key indeed is to keep it clean like Neutrogena, and a presentation so pretty it should be on the back of a truck mud flap.

NBCSN (EPL) > ESPN > FOX > BeIN.

Pretty simple. NBCSN's coverage of EPL is by far and away the best. ESPN also has the experience (and Bob Ley who runs the show like no one else). Fox is improving, but still has a long way to go. And BeIN is way behind. The BeIN studio presence is like a student network.

Reactions: BossNYC
Can't say I disagree but NBCSN is basically preaching to the choir. Few American sports fans know it exists...

ESPN still king and Fox is coming on strong so if you want to grow the league here conventional wisdom says that's where your need to be.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
2016/17 Winter Shopping List:
Starters:
GK
CDM
CM
LW
RB
Backups:
CDM
ST
LW

LB
CB

Camargo looking highly likely to come here on loan this year. Where does he fit? Looks like he's been a wide player with a nice shot from distance, based on his highlights. He's 23 though, and Panama's nat'l team is not exactly a powerhouse. I'm more inclined to pencil him in on the bench with the limited knowledge we have, than as an answer to our left wing opening.

Starters:
GK
CDM
CM
LW
RB
Backups:
CDM
ST
LW

LB
CB

Camargo looking highly likely to come here on loan this year. Where does he fit? Looks like he's been a wide player with a nice shot from distance, based on his highlights. He's 23 though, and Panama's nat'l team is not exactly a powerhouse. I'm more inclined to pencil him in on the bench with the limited knowledge we have, than as an answer to our left wing opening.

Based on the fact that transfermarket has him as a $400K value, I'd say we better hope he's more than a bench player for that price. Unless they're completely off on their projection, Camargo better be a starter for that kind of money.

I thought I heard a Rumor that we will be spending like 100k.
A very general rule of thumb for transfer value is that it is roughly equal to the contract terms of a typical 3-4 year deal. Based on that, I'd guess you're right on what we'll pay him.

I don't see a down side here. I'd rather spend it on potential than known shit, a la Kreis roster-building strategy.

Starters:
GK
CDM
CM
LW
RB
Backups:
CDM
ST
LW

LB
CB

I like Okoli but I'd be really nervous if our only true forwards were an old Villa and a completely unproven Okoli. Wouldn't be opposed to a DP at LW who can easily slide over to striker or play a false 9.

Starters:
GK
CDM
CM
LW
RB
Backups:
CDM
ST
LW

LB
CB

I don't think our left wing is open. You will see some combo of T-Mac/Harrison there if we don't sign a DP winger and/or Shelton starts at RW. We also have a starting RB.